Aftermarket Wheels

Discussion in 'Super Moto' started by Super5onic88, Nov 26, 2013.

1. Super5onic88 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    RGV 250
    This is a For Your Information thread.

I recently ordered a set if Talon hubs with Excel rims for my 2011 SMR449.
    The order took well over 3 months to get to my door.

I fitted up the rear wheel which is a 5" rim with no trouble at all.
    The trouble all came up when trying to fit the front wheel...

Firstly I ordered the front wheel with a Beringer rotor which I was told by the supplier would fit my standard Brembo caliper. It does not fit. Standard rotor is 320mm, Beringer is 310mm.
    So there is $300 odd thrown in the wind. Should have done my own research.

Secondly the Talon hub is thinner than the Standard hub. So when fitting the wheel with the rotor in the caliper where it should be the spokes hit the caliper. Now, I could get the spacers machined to stop the spokes touching the caliper but then I would need to space the rotor out from the hub or find a concaved rotor that will fit. More money thrown in the wind.....

The wheel.

[IMG]

The spokes hitting the caliper.

[IMG]

Hard to see but the gap between the supplied spacer and the fork base.

[IMG]

Upon asking for a refund or a new wheel I was told there is only one hub Talon made for Huskies and that I need to machine my caliper to make the wheel fit. Good day.

Please don't make the same mistake as I have in thinking when you order parts to fit your bike that they will actually fit.
  2. R. Stephen Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Beringer components only work together well. Man I wish you would have asked before I could have saved you some headaches. Beringer calipers are thinner than most because they don't run dust seals. This allows the caliper to be thinner and clear the spokes better. The 310mm rotor is so you can remove the caliper easily on a 16.5" wheel. 320mm rotor and a 16.5" wheel is a tight squeeze. As for the rotors the stock husky SMR rotors have a 5mm offset and most aftermarket rotor are flat so they must use a spacer to use stock wheel spacing and stock caliper location. Also beringer iron rotors are thicker than stainless ones.

DO NOT machine the back of the caliper. not only will it add flex to the caliper if you dn't know how much material is behind there the will thickness will be down to nothing and burst. A hard lever pull can generate over 1000psi.

Holler if you have any other questions
  3. Super5onic88 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    RGV 250
    For the time being I just put my new sticky Goldspeed on the stock wheel until I figure out how to make this wheel fit. I will definitely not be machining my caliper. That's is just asking for trouble.

At the moment I will be getting a spacer to centre the wheel and then I will be measuring up how far I need to space the rotor and then getting a proper spacer plate made up.

The other thing I could do is anodise a stock hub black and lace it to this rim. It's just all money I shouldn't have to spend.
  4. STANIMAL Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS630
    Other Motorcycles:
    WXE260
    FWIW , My buddy had a SMS630 that had the caliper shaved down a little to resolve the same issue . It worked , but he did buy the bike that way. That being said , you can ''offset'' the hoop by re-adjusting the spokes.
  5. Londin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449 MY11
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 848 and Hypermotard 1100
    When i got Alpina rims for my SMR 449 I had front end problems as well. I had to convert my front with a new set of spacers, a new offset rotor and a special made rotor adaptor.....I feel your pain brother!
  6. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    They changed hubs on the 11+ 449/511 SMR's. The spoke pattern changed and so did the brake mounting surface offset. They have changed from the offset brembo disc's on the <10 models and went to a flat Braking wave disc on the 11+ SMR's.

The problem you'll find is 99% of aftermarket wheel sets are made for the old style hub/disc dimensions/offsets. Also shouldn't Talon hubs come with their own spacers? Either way take note the triple clamps on the SMR's are 205mm wide (as opposed to 195mm on the TE) so hubs/spacers intended for TE models may not centre the wheel correctly. It's also why the axle seems to hide 5mm into the fork bottoms on each side on the SMR's.;)

Oh stop whining :P Should've bought OE hubs and an STS kit...
    J.R. likes this.
  7. Super5onic88 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    RGV 250
    I am seriously considering a new standard hub and pissing this Talon hub off.

Hubs came with their own spacers but they are also incorrect.

It just hurts the wallet when you expect your expensive investment to fit your bike perfectly but it doesn't and the supplier won't help in anyway.
  8. Super5onic88 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    RGV 250
    TrooperLu's got OEM hubs for $420 + delivery.

If I can sell this Beringer rotor I'll order one.
  9. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    If you go OE hubs you may need different spokes as well, and the way the rim is drilled may not be compatible with the new spokes... oh the joys of non-standardised wheel making!

Who'd ya get the wheel from?
  10. cjoecruz003 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 SMR510
    With excel wheels and husky hubs you need special spokes. Buchanon makes them that are compatible. Kirk at factoryproracing works in conjunction w buchanon spokes for this reason. He also know about huskys and sets the correct offset for the rear so there's no chain slap and offset for the front so things like this don't happen. Sorry to hear man. Hope it eventually works out for you
  11. Londin Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449 MY11
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati 848 and Hypermotard 1100
    I got mine sorted and they work super now. And on the front I have saved 1kg and read 1.25kg of spinning force :-)
  12. Super5onic88 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    RGV 250
    I got the wheels through a middle man but they were built by Dubya.
    PM if you wish to know the middle man.
  13. AWDnot2 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    07' SM510R
    When the new wheel is fitted with the disc in the caliper, is the hoop (rim) centered between the forks, or is it offset to one side?
  14. Super5onic88 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMR 449
    Other Motorcycles:
    RGV 250
    The rim is offset because the hub is thinner than standard and the spacers are incorrect.
    Because the hub is thinner the rotor sits closer to the spokes. Meaning when the rotor is in the caliper the spokes touch the caliper and the rim is offset not centered.

Simply if the hub was the same thickness as a standard one there would be no issue.
  15. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
  16. 70RSMAT Husqvarna
    AA Class

anyone know if Alpinas for 449 511 smr's fit without issues? they are advertised to fit this model on the website
  17. kumz Husqvarna
    AA Class

Alpinas with kite hubs fit

[IMG]
    Mik-3 likes this.
  18. kumz Husqvarna
    AA Class

running a beringer setup with zero issues. stock spacers...

[IMG]
    Mik-3 likes this.
  19. Caiman Senior Vice Procrastinator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SWM SM500R
    Londin has some on his SMR449, had a bunch of issues on the front end from what I remember, I'll see if I can get him to chip in.
  20. 70RSMAT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Cool thanks