AF-XIED Beta for Husqvarna TR650

Discussion in 'TR650' started by drzcharlie, Jun 21, 2014.

1. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100

Yesterday, Wayne spent the afternoon with me 911-ing my TR, cleared to "error" signals
    Test rode #8 consumption was 3.2-3.3
    Second test # 9 consumption 4.0-4.3 - interesting, rode better less vibration, will be interesting to see everything adapts
    PaulC likes this.
  2. V8Astro Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Strada / 2008 SMR510
    Other Motorcycles:
    Suzuki GS500, Yamaha TR125L
    I've been following this thread for a while. I do not have an XIED. I went the EJK route. Now that Dobeck has left me hanging in the wind I'm thinking about ditching the EJK for the XIED.

My main concern is how the XIED deals with cold start-up. With the EJK I can hop on and ride before any bars show on the temp gauge. It's still a bit grumpy but it goes. Once "settled" can this be done with the XIED?
  3. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100

I've not had any problems, I start the motor, watch the Dash do it's thing then ride-off

I'm still experimenting with the AF-XIED, fitted Brisk plugs this morning, short test ride on #9, far too rich, tomorrow test ride 100 klms or more on #8

The ECU appears to take some time (thousands of klms ??) to re-adjust

On my unit the yellow light (indicating, A/F above 14.7) is on continuously

The AF-XIED only "spoofs" the O2 sensor, I can only "assume" that the ECU at some point will be "smart" enough to adjust all thru' the range

Only time will tell

Wayne has run a number of GS911 tests, we are waiting results (with bated breath)

I've not experimented with the EJK, so can't comment
  4. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100

My tests today with Brisk plugs, all other settings as per yesterday the Cons #9 went up to 6.1, black carbon in the exhaust outlet = me thinks far too rich
    Tomorrow longer ride on #8
    The yellow LED on the AF-XIED is solidly "on" after a few minutes of "warm-up", which indicates an A/F above 14.7
    Truly strange, indicating a "very open" gas flow, or revision
  5. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    At warm up, until the MM ECU is running Closed Loop, you should have a richer mixture than set by the O2 sensor/AF-XIED pair. The idea is that the ECU applies an AfterStart Enrichment factor.

Remember too, that the long term trims take a while to adjust. So for instance, let's say you rode all day on setting 9. The long term trim will go up to add fuel to the whole map. Then after you get home, you drop the setting to 7 or 8 and start the bike. At start-up you'll still be running with the long term trim for setting 9 until the ECU has time to bring the trim back down.

It's a bit complex, hope it makes sense.
  6. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100

Today rode 180+ klms on #8, the consumption reading went from 6.1 to over 14, with soot deposits in the exhaust

Only the yellow LED was illuminated

I then reduced to #6, then #5, current at #4 & will test run tomorrow, weather permitting

Certainly, on starting after the blinking both yellow & green are on for a couple of minutes, then only the yellow

I appreciate that it takes some time for the ECU to get it's act together

I will be "patient & continue

The Brisk plugs seemed to help with the "pinging"
  7. Xtyling Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kymco
    I don't want to go way off topic with a newbie question.. but how did Dobeck leave you hanging?

Back on topic, I am wondering if anyone has tried both XIED and EJK? I'd love to read a long term comparative review of both setups.
  8. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100

Hi Roger, another line of thought, the Brisk plugs are so efficient that the combustion process is much improved, now the AF-XIED is driving the ECU to increase fuel injection to achieve 13.8 (say), which could be far too rich, hence the carbon/soot in the exhaust

Raining today, so no riding

Just a "pain" that the ECU takes time to "adjust" to any changes
  9. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    If you connect an EJK, the O2 sensor and AF-xied are disabled. In other words the pair should not be used together.
  10. Roger 04 RT Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 (friend's)
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 BMW R1150RT
    The brisk plugs won't make the mixture richer or leaner. Once the mixture is ignited, no matter which plug you use, the flame front burns at the same rate.
    tokor and V8Astro like this.
  11. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Engineerk9,
    Noting your background and desire of knowledge on how the bike is running I am surprised you have not installed the Innovate LC2.
    It took around 2 tanks of fuel for my bike to relearn the fuel maps with the AFR set at 13.6:1 runs great and fuel consumption is comparable with the unmodified bike.
    Running the pod mod, air box door mod, brisk plugs and LC2.
    tokor likes this.
  12. drzcharlie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Fayetteville, Arkansas with my Redheaded Mistress
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Terra
    Other Motorcycles:
    Burgman 650 (The Barcolounger)
    Geeza, what kind of mileage do you get with your LC2 set at 13.6:1?

I am at 57 MPG which I believe converts to 5 liters per 100 kms?

For Engineerk9 my bike has been on the LC2 now for almost 7K miles. It runs flawlessly.
  13. Xtyling Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kymco
    I believe 57 Miles per Gallon = 24.2 Km per Liter
    According to TR 650 owners here in the Philippines they are getting up to 30 Km per Liter which roughly equates to 68 MPG.
  14. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    Fuel consumption is just shy of 62mpg (US) with a mix of hwy and spirited riding on the twisty bits.
  15. mag00 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra, Strada
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR250 R1100RS CH50

A Brisk plug will not inject fuel into the combustion chamber, really? /sarcasm

Any spark plug regardless of brand, can/will affect how an electronic fuel injection system performs, that is what it is all about. If the spark plug doesn't perform up to standard, the ecu is going to adjust for it to make it run as the ecu is programmed to think it should run.

So while the spark plug, at this time, does not add fuel to enrich or lean the mix, the ecu will adjust the fuel mix (& spark timing?) to compensate for how the mix is burning, which is directly related to the spark. How the spark ignites the mix IS relevant.
  16. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100

Who said anything about the Brisk plug injecting fuel?

However the characteristics of the Brisk may in fact improve the ignition & efficiency of combustion of that fuel, possibly leading to higher O2 in the exhaust

The AF-XIED "tricking" the ECU into "chasing" the 13.8 A/F
  17. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100

Geeza - true, however I have been "experimenting" step-by-step, not conversant with the Innovate LC2 (yet?)

Please tell me more?
  18. Geeza Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
  19. hasenpfeffer Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TR650 Strada
    I think the more efficient the combustion, the LESS O2 in the exhaust.
  20. engineerk9 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Terra 650
    Other Motorcycles:
    Kawasaki ZRX1100

I think we also need to take into consideration valve over-lap

With a more complete combustion, the cylinder scavenging can be more efficient, inlet air being drawn into the exhaust, thus increasing O2 content

Not to mention reversal in the exhaust can