1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

Ae 500 questions

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by ct cr430, Jun 6, 2019.

1. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    My buddy likes his 420 auto so much that he bought this ae 500 last year and the seller gave him a box of parts for it . I brought this bike home Memorial Day weekend to get it going . I’ve been working on here and there as time allows so I haven’t been able to get real deep into it yet so here starts my questions . In the box of parts there was another stator , flywheel , motoplat black lead coil and a black lead pal coil . The spare stator looks to be a 3 wire mini 6 stator and on the bike is a 5 wire stator . I think that may also be a mini 6 but not sure as I haven’t removed the flywheel yet . Looking at the spare stator , the numbers match the flywheel currently on the bike so I know there is a miss match there . This is a 1984 ae 500 , can anyone verify what should be the original stator ? The bike didn’t have spark as received with the black lead motoplat coils but does when using a red lead coil . I was curious and started to do a bit of research . Looks like the crank stub on the ae 500 has the same part number as my 81 cr 430 which has the internal rotor motoplat . Has anyone tried one of these on the ae 500 ? I believe it work be quicker revving maybe to the point of being un- rideable , less momentum while kick starting and maybe more prone to stalling . If anyone else has tried this , what did you find ? Here’s a long shot question , does anyone know if the tapers on the internal rotor motoplat are the same between a husky and let’s say a Maico ? I haven’t tried to measure and compare yet but have been thinking about this for a while as I do have access to multiple Maico ignitions . Back to the mini-6’s , I know they should be a matched set (stator and flywheel ) but besides the obvious difference of the number of wires coming from the stator , is one better or move preferred than the other ? ( for reliability , starting or powering lighting ?) I did try some searches looking for answers , either I missed them or used wrong search parameters . Thank you .
  2. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    The Maico crank shaft end is a different taper/size compared to the 500AE or any Huskys. I personally would not use the internal rotor type motoplat on the auto's unless you are going to use it for motocross. Using the mini 6 will make it much more enjoyable to ride on the trails. You can use either one of the mini 6 stators the three wire or the 5 wire.
    Hope this helps
    Marty
  3. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Thanks Marty , wasn’t sure about the taper between the 2 brands . We pretty much just ride a natural terrain track at my buddies place , wasn’t sure how much an internal rotor motoplat would change the ae 500 . I did try that change on a 77 cr 250 and I like it but the bike owner had a little trouble getting used to it . Do you know which of the mini -6’s would have been original to the ae500 ? Or does it really matter ? I’m going to try and see if the spare flywheel fits as I don’t know what I came off of .
  4. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    The three wire mini 6 motoplat would be the correct magneto for the 500AE. Since you are riding on a natural terrain track I would try the internal rotor magneto just for the fun of it. I have four 420 autos 2 AE's and 2 AXC's. The AXC's have the internal rotor and do rev quite a bit quicker compared to the AE's that have the external rotor.

Marty
  5. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Thanks Marty
  6. watto450 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1965 250, 1978 390 Auto, 1983 510 TX
    As I understand it.. the Motoplat for an Auto is a 'special' that is quite different than that of , say a manual gearbox husky..it is a low kick spark.. if that makes sense.. as you can't push start an Auto they developed a slow rotation / kick spark.. so.. not sure why HVA didn't use that on all of their bikes.. so..if you use an ignition from another Husky.. it may not have enough "low rotation" spark to be able to start the Auto..
  7. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Thanks , I’ll have to look into that but it does make sense . Is there anyway to ID the “ special” stator ?
  8. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    Heat might be the reason they weren’t used on more models . I remember a conversation with a Maico guy about ignitions , there is/was an ignition for Maico’s . One for 250’s and another for the big bores . When asked what the difference was he told me the ones for the big bores would create spark at a lower rpm/ kick speed but the ignition also ran hotter . Not a hotter spark but the ignition itself would be hotter during use and recommended an aluminum ignition cover to help disapate the additional heat . Now he could have just been trying to make more money from my friend , but we’re still using motoplat .
  9. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    ha ha that's some quality sales man's bs right there
  10. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    You just might be right but I will still listen then think about it and form my own conclusions . So yeah , I tend to listen more than I speak . Or in the case here , read more than I post .
  11. ct cr430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 cr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    2007 honda crf450
    B054DD9F-B104-4441-9B3D-42F71118618A.jpeg when I took this apart one spring was missing , the light spring at about 4 o’clock . Looking for one if there are any floating around somewhere .