Add USB power?

Discussion in '610/630' started by mjskier, Nov 11, 2014.

1. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    My bike came with a Highway Dirtbike top handlebar clamp that looks like this:
    I'm thinking some of you have one too? The holes are designed to hold various switches. Has anybody found a USB power outlet that would fit there? (I think I could enlarge one of the 2 top center holes if needed)

[IMG]
  2. RDTCU Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '11 630SMS
    Something like this?

[IMG]

I just added a waterproof cig lighter port to the right side of my headlight housing and stuck in one of those USB adapters.
    JonDirt likes this.
  3. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    Yes, something exactly like that. Where did you see that? Never mind. google image search found it :thumbsup:
    I thought about the cig lighter port, but I don't really have anything that needs 12V (except maybe I could plug in the battery tender there), so I'm thinking why not go USB directly?
  4. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    That looks like a Poly-Planar. Another option is a TAPP port. Both presumably draw a few milliamps when not in use, so you need either a relay wired to the ignition, or one of HDB's on-off switches plus kind of LED to remind you its powered.
  5. SimpleOne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 ZX-6R Trackbike
    Yep there is plenty of them around that are designed to fit in the same profile as a Cig Lighter socket. There are a few marine grade ones as well, so you should have some options.
  6. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    268fords likes this.
  7. mjskier Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 KTM 990 SMT
    I think I'm over obsessing about something that would fit in the top clamp. That dual USB/cig plug is a lot cheaper and easier to install. Thanks for the link.
  8. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    Yea, I know what you mean. It would be nice to have one integrated into that top clamp. The cheap on works tho, and is cheap. :-)
  9. SimpleOne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 ZX-6R Trackbike
    If you plan on charging an iPad or newer tablet thing, look for one that will do 2.1A out of the USB port, otherwise it might take longer than you expect at 1A or (god forbid) 0.5A.
  10. JonDirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE610 2008
    +1. Spend the extra on a 2.1 amp. The dual usb/cig-plug is only 1 amp. Also I find cig lighter sockets vibrate loose. For high current I prefer coax or powerlet.
  11. SimpleOne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    09 ZX-6R Trackbike
    You can get ones like this in Aus pretty readily with both a 1A and 2.1A (then just throw away the rest of the housing and the other cig socket if you don't need it):
    http://www.jaycar.com.au/productView.asp?ID=PS2026

Not sure if that would fit the space that you have to work with though...

EDIT: Always a gamble on the quality, but this looks identical to me:
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Dual...r-Marine-Motorcycles-SV002174/2016775484.html
    http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Car-...t-Power-Outlet-Socket-5V-2-1A/1951966470.html