aargh...base gasket- 630

Discussion in '610/630' started by EricV, Feb 19, 2017.

1. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Hi Gang. Got a seeping base gasket, at rear of cylinder. Now if you'll recall this engine was dis/re-assembled by a well regarded Husky shop a few years ago to replace a cracked engine casing. That was around 7K ago. I noticed this at the beginning of last season, so it's been going on for about (rough estimate) 3K. At first I thought it was just dust collecting on residual stickiness, but cleaned it and what you see has developed over several thousand miles.

This bums me as it's the start of this season and I don't wanna be without the bike (and no shop I trust for it anywhere near, by far.) I'm not confident enough in my skills to do this well (and haven't the best accommodations/tools to do so.) Bike runs well and has been.

Is it possible to do a "watch and wait" thing- i.e. ride as long as I keep a close eye on it. Do they suddenly blow wide open and throw lots of oil, leading to sudden engine failure?

I'd love to be able to eek one more season out, and then tackle this next off season (around Sept./Oct....about 2K miles out.) Thanks guys- here are the pics:

fullsizeoutput_39b.jpeg IMG_3785.JPG
  2. Kia-ora Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none yet Soon to purchase a SWM
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW r100gspd, Benelli 250 supersport
    Are you sure its the base gasket and not the tensioner gasket?
  3. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    I would give it a solid clean and remove all residue. Ride it for a day and then make a call based on your own observations according to observed leaking from that day. personally I would ride it for the season it the blow through remained minimal.
  4. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Thanks man. That's what I'd decided early today- had a few hours to ride. Cleaned it up (what's in original pics is 2-3K "accumulation of blow-by and dust) and looked after the ride (only about 80 miles) a barely discernible amount, and it was ridden enthusiastically. :) I'll continue to keep an eye on it, and as a first step perhaps re-torque. Not likely to change anything but can't hurt.

Was really wondering if they often eventually spew when they really go out (I.e. If I'm tempting worse issues if it pukes oil.) I don't think it often happens that way, given how often I've seen old seepage in cars and bikes. Here's today's before and after. Sorry they're upside down.

IMG_3786.JPG IMG_3787.JPG
  5. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Not sure if a catastrophic blow out is likely. Sorry I cant opine on that point.
  6. juicypips Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr 360. 2002
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gas Gas TxT 300, Yamaha wr250f
    Keep it clean and watch it, personally I don't think that's anything too worry about.
  7. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Thanks guys. Yes, I'd have to agree that a full on blow out would be unlikely, given the tight space between the base of the cylinder and the mating surface of the crankcase. I'll keep a close eye on it.
  8. mekanik Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Ride it! You won't see a catastrophic failure on that gasket.
    EricV likes this.
  9. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630

Oops- not sure how I overlooked that suggestion- thanks.

Yes, I initially thought that was a possibility but upon close inspection that does not appear to be the case. The staining sure does suggest it as a possibility so right of you to point it out.