90s CH Racing 610 vented Ignition cover

Discussion in 'Older Single cams' started by robertaccio, Jul 22, 2010.

1. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    In the 90s CH Racing cast mag ignition covers with 2 upper vent hose attachment fittings to help keep the stators cool on the race bikes. To prevent ignition failures from previous DNF race experience.
    Does anyone here know how those hoses are routed and to where?? Airbox? end of hose filters?
    If you look on Jacky Martens MX machine and other 90s TE and TC factory competition bikes, you can see the cover with vent/cooling hoses.
  2. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Trail Rider Mag had a test of Marc Grossman's (ECEA Husky Factory Support Rider) '00 TE410 race bike. It had all the factory mods at the time, including the Cagiva vented ignition cover. I tried to find one for my '00 TE400, but unobtanium by the time I was looking in '04. I'm guessing it goes to air box.:cheers:
  3. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    Norm thanks!! I just subscribed to the online Trail Rider mag listing (Its great Clipper has a good set up) plus they have an online order service that goes all the way into the distant past for back issues I will poke around for that issue and see if it has explanations or fotos of the vent hoses. I am also thinking it must go to the airbox somehow.
  4. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Rob,
    I found the issue.... 02/01. I doesn't explain the routing on vent tubes and has a small picture from right. I'll try to scan the article and post it.

Kevin Novello is the new owner/editor of TR and Clip is taking a bike trip across the states on his Wee-Strom.:busted:
  5. oldhuskychuck Husqvarna
    A Class

the vent tubes is an old deal,
    when the moto plat stators first came out, heat would build up, and condinsation would build up inside the cover,
    that made it get crusty inside the motoplat and made it fail..
    a ride on a hot summers day, wash it off and its wet inside..
    the hole and vent tube vented the moisture out the top of the cover, and helped keep it dry on the inside...
    i went one step further, after washing or riding in cold or wet weather, i would remove the side cover, and spray WD 40 lightly behind the flywheel.
    and never stored my bikes with a cover tight, if the bike was going to sit for a couple weeks, id remove the cover, and set it on the seat.
    my older Huskys with motoplats have a vent hole, and a old tube core glued in place.
    i can then screw on a tire cap when riding, and remove after..
    the newer style electrics are im sure tougher,,,but its a good idea..
    iv never had a motoplat fail, or a POS SEM for that matter.
  6. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    Its one of these early super trick items, I've been speaking about
    [IMG]
  7. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    Norm this issue??
    [IMG]
  8. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    It's got a Yammie on the cover, but not that one.... February 2001, Volume 31, Number 2:thumbsup:
  9. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    might not be that hard to modify the stock cover.
  10. oldhuskychuck Husqvarna
    A Class

kinda cool, but a little over kill...a small hole at the top, with a hose attached is really all you need,
    id hate to get water in those tubes...that would ruin the day for sure.
  11. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    It looks designed like a water pump so it swirls the air in and out. Wonder if there is a special flywheel with ribs / fins?
  12. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    The special Flywheel with windage pleasure ribs......

thats what i was thinking the " works" racers had some sort of fins/ribs welded/attached on the outside of the flywheel to create more internal windage, unless just the spinning wheel with the inner magnets does it naturally. No matter i will just put it on for the (goofy perhaps) trick parts factor. On a DS target machine thats a 1999 model, i will go really go fast now!!(ha)
  13. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    PS if the inboard aft (appears to be air out) tube pushes air it will act like super charging device into the carb inlet.............................ok enough bs..

just checked my same post at another forum and UpTite gave some insight as well
  14. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    1999 500cc 4T Enduro World Champ Anders E Husqvarna TE610

[IMG]
    photo credit: Dario Agrati

note vented ignition cover
  15. oldhuskychuck Husqvarna
    A Class

looks like a vented cooling set up, id bet the hose attaches to the air box, so that the air is filtered as well.
    a cool stator is a happy, no doubt...
  16. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    found another very good clear shot of the cover with tubes and of the carb itself in a 1998 DelLorto advert. Still cant see where the vent hoses go. But got a good look at CH ran their carb vent hoses. See alot of photos in the offroad champions books (Ive got a library of them) of water and mud races with Anders plowing on through.
  17. ryboj Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    00TE410_01TE570
    Other Motorcycles:
    '03 Polaris Predator, '86 YZ490
    You might want to check with this guy.... he might know. I've bought from him once and he has great service, even if across the pond!

http://www.taliesinracing.co.uk/

He sells vented ignition covers still I believe....it's on my long list of items to buy.
  18. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    ok which one of you guys is bidding against me?? (ha ha) I really dont neeed to have it, thats why I did not keep it quiet. I hope its one of "us" anyway ive got another item that i really need to get, not just a trick factor item like this thing, but i may throw more bids at it..hmm.
  19. dirtaddict23 Husqvarna
    AA Class

View attachment 6935

Got one on my '98 TC610. This is the bike Gordon Ward rode in the 4 St. Nats. that year for Up Tite. Four speed tranny is about useless but has a "pumper" dellorto and runs really hard.

Attached Files:

20. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    super cool about the Gordon bike, that guy still rips!!
    I first met him when he was on the VOR and my friend was riding with his team on a TM125, if I remember correctly they even had the old warrior Staten on a VOR that year (2000 maybe?).
    and back to the CH racing cover thread, for note:
    With just a couple of hoses routed off the cover the air flow from the flywheel windage is surprising but minimal. Let me know how its rigged up on your bike please (photos would be great), because its dry I just have the hoses open and run to the back of the cylinder under the carb. I have just popped the cover after every ride to wipe it out keep the dust level down. I think filters would impede the airflow which is minimal anyway. Thanks and cool bike!! Historically the first 4 stroke in the late era to win the MX championship (1993) since the sixties!!