1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

87 WR400 Wiring

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Stretch, Feb 1, 2014.

1. Stretch Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    88 Husqvarna WR400
    Other Motorcycles:
    Harris magnum 2, XL600
    Hi Guys,
    Bought an 87 WR400 yesterday. It was built for vinduro so didn't have the loom installed. I installed the loom this morning and have been trying to get the lights working for the MOT, but, no joy at the moment and am wondering if any one has a wiring diagram for the rest of the bike. I managed to find one for the lighting loom and have installed that as it said, but, am wondering abouit the connections between the loom and the generator...inb particular the yellow wires and the block connectors...
    Currently it looks like this[IMG]

I have the grounds attached to the central bolt on the ac coil
    The yellow wires from generator go into the top junction box, one goes to the AC reg and the other feeds into the junction box on the loom. The brown that's just off picture goes nowhere.

If anyone has any ideas, please let me know as itching to get it sorted MOT'd and finally ride the beast :)

Cheers,

Andy
  2. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300, 87 430wr, 86 430ae, Tr650
  3. Stretch Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    88 Husqvarna WR400
    Other Motorcycles:
    Harris magnum 2, XL600
    Cheers, I have that one...its more the other side by the magneto that I'm looking for as I have 2 junction boxes and not sure if I should have
  4. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    85/WR 400,86/WR 240,83/430 is mates
    Other Motorcycles:
    69@71/TS90-76/TS100-72/DKW-78/PE
    One yellow goes to the regulator and the other to the head/tail light/ indicators / stop light.
    Some stators have one yellow and some have two , they both do the same thing.
    From what I can see that yellow stuff looks ok.
  5. PEZBerq Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    390AMX, 430XC, 240WR, 2x510TE, FE501
    You plug one yellow wire from the stator into the bottom of the Y piece. The two outlets go to the headlight and the tail light respectively. You have both yellows from the stator plugged in I suspect. Try running just the one. You seem to also have way too many connectors in your loom. Keep it simple and avoid faulty connections is my advice. Also check the continuity of each circuit using a meter. Make sure the globes are good and 12V. Good luck!
    Clay Robinson likes this.
  6. Stretch Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    88 Husqvarna WR400
    Other Motorcycles:
    Harris magnum 2, XL600
    Thanks Guys, much appreciated. I've tidied it up a bit and removed the second Y connector, so now have one of the yellows from the magneto going straight to the AC reg and one going to the bottom of the Y connector that connects to the loom. The horn and kill switch are working but still no joy on the lights. Although can't test it now as the kickstart won't engage at all :( The motor has only recently been rebuilt and wondering if something has loosened inside now...the clutch plates seem to have stuck and rocking the bike in gear hasn't freed them so Guess I'll have to open her up now and check out the clutch and kickstart, doh !
  7. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    You sound like you have the SEM ignition with that many connectors. I had the same problem with the clutch on my 1985 400WRX. I took off the clutch cover, separated the plates and coated both sides of each plate with engine oil. Of course that opened up a can of worms finding the anti freeze in the oil. Be sure to check behind the impellor for corrosion. Even though your case is aluminum, the wrong type of anti freeze will corrode aluminum as well
  8. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    85/WR 400,86/WR 240,83/430 is mates
    Other Motorcycles:
    69@71/TS90-76/TS100-72/DKW-78/PE
    Don't take the kickstart lever or the gearshift lever off their shafts , no need.
  9. Stretch Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    88 Husqvarna WR400
    Other Motorcycles:
    Harris magnum 2, XL600
    Thanks guys going to take a look this evening. I'll let you know how I get on...from searching re the anti freeze I see it says to e sure you use deionised water...is there a specific type of antifreeze too ?
  10. Stretch Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    88 Husqvarna WR400
    Other Motorcycles:
    Harris magnum 2, XL600
    Okay, got to the bottom of the kickstart issue...looks like I broke the shaft and the pawl has come out....
    Just got to find the rest of it now....