1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

87 430 wr ignitions

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by huskyJames, Mar 15, 2017.

1. huskyJames Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    85 XC500, 87 WR430
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 ATC 200x, 88 rm 125,
    I am trying to decide on what ignition to buy. I currently have a motoplate. It is cracked and needs rebuilt, 240ish dollars with shipping. I know there is a lot of stuff out there, and I read a lot of mixed feedback on pvl. I am looking at a powerdynam or the external rotor type from HVA. Does anyone have any experience with the external rotor type from HVA? I am really after reliability vs Crazy power. I am a trail/ mountain terrain rider. the power dynamo is a lot more, and that would be ok if it is the better choice. Just trying to find somone that has expieriance with the HVA kits.
  2. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    so the motoplat has no spark? the cracking alone is not grounds for replacement. they can run years like that.
  3. 2premo Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    98 WR360, 1987 WR430, 1988 XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco 300, 2002 KTM 380EXC

he didn't say no spark, in his author thread he said weak

most mag ignitions have weak spark at kick, but with the cracking it's only a matter of time
    all ignitions suffer the same problem, heat and vibration, the four strokes now oil cool them, most 2 strokes oddly have the pipe run right over the top and no way to vent pent up heat from the engine and exhaust
  4. huskyJames Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    85 XC500, 87 WR430
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 ATC 200x, 88 rm 125,
    It did have spark just weak. I did figure out the external rotor type HVA sells is an electrex ignition
  5. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    I have the internal rotor on my 420 AE, transforms the starting!
  6. AzHuskyRider Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1987 wr 430
    Other Motorcycles:
    90 ktm 300 xc,99 YZ250,91 ATK 406,kx
    Do you just need the coil pack or the internal rotor. I have a cycle junkyard here in Phoenix that has a few motoplat and sem parts. I just found an SEM coil/cdi there for my 87 430 wr/cr. :banana:
  7. huskyJames Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    85 XC500, 87 WR430
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 ATC 200x, 88 rm 125,
    The rotor mini plate was in bad shape. I have ordered a whole new system now though. Thanks much for the offer though. Rebuilding it was 90 pct of the cost of a whole new system from hva.