1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

86 430 Auto and 85 500 Auto projects...

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by everfree, Nov 25, 2012.

1. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 430AE (2), 88 430AE, 87 430WR (2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    87 250 XC, 87 430 CR, '17 GG 300
    I've had some requests to post some pics of my Automatics. I'm still working on them.
    One is a 86 430 AE and the other is a 85 500 AE.

The 86 430 AE is a work in progress. It was not rideable when I bought it, but it was complete. I think it has low hours on it.

It was owned by a one-legged rider who had it setup with both front and rear brakes on the handle bars. He had to lean it up against something to get on. But if you only have one leg, an Auto is the only way to ride!

The clutch springs and coolant circulating impeller needed replacing, brakes, plus a whole lot of other items. I have not torn it down completely yet. New springs are in, coolant impeller is in. More parts coming.

It is an improvement over the air-cooled 500 Auto in that Husky went back to the 430 motor. Less vibration. But the radiators need to be larger and should have used a fan or fans for even more cooling. The Autos generate a lot of heat which affects reliability. They say they are the fastest bikes, if they can finish the race.

My 85 500 AE is rideable. It's loud and vibrates like it's going to fly apart. Power builds quickly and then, it's off the charts. The combination of a vibey 2-stroke 500 and the grinding automatic makes for a bad combo for easy riding. You better have your game on. But it climbs hills like crazy and prefers the open, fast trails. It is hard to start, you pray that you don't stall it in a tough spot! There is something about riding it, I will say that. It knows what gear to be in better than I do.

I have seen the race bike that Terry Cunningham used to ride, (he was Team Husky US National champ from 84-86), he used a highly modified bike using an air-cooled 430 top end with a 420 AE bottom end. The racers preferred the older air-cooled vs.later water cooled. Dave Betram, who now runs Cycle Gear, had a good article in the last Cycle News magazine about racing the AEs in the ISDE. The 500 AE was the least favorite to ride. Having one, I know why!

When I get my 430 AE done, I'll have a good comparison between the two models.
    Below are some pics. I included my 87 430 as well, it's a cool bike too.
    It's good to know other people are still riding these bikes.
    Thanks for your interest.
    Dave

86 430 AE, partial tear down
    dave\'s_86_430AE_1.jpg

86 430 Auto close up, auto clutch side
    dave\'s_86_430AE_2.jpg

85 500 AE, the Monster!
    dave\'s_85_500AE_1.jpg

85 500 AE left side
    dave\'s_85_500AE_2.jpg

Team Husky banner 1983
    dave\'s_85_500AE_Team_Husky.jpg

87 430 WR, just got it running again... rebuilt rear Ohlins with stiffer spring (purple/white/purple code)
    dave\'s_87_430WR.jpg
    Svenskbike and adam6402 like this.
  2. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

500 ae ebay USA 2.jpg

You don't have the right kick on your 500 ae.
    The right one is like yours on 430 wr 87.

About the old auto motors, they were prefered to LC because they
    had 4 gears instead of 3 gears on LC.

Do you have the Dave Beltram article in Cycle news magazine ?
  3. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I was wondering about that kicker. It was on the bike and I don't like it.
    I have the Cycle News article. Would you like a scan of it?
    Dave
  4. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

You seems to have a 240/250 kick on your 500 ae.
    Yes, I'd like you to scan Cycle news article.
    Thanks
  5. WayneL Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 WR400 88 WR125 84 AE500 &13 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1200GS and R80G/S PD
    Everfree
    Nice bikes!
    I have an 85 model AE500 also, just got it a few months ago, they have some grunt, but not as nasty to ride as an open class mxer IMHO. My first auto - how easy are they to ride!
    A link to a video of my first ride on it at Classic Dirt 9 (in Australia) riding with a mate on an IT250. enjoy.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pwLZQY1UMU4

Would like to see a copy of that article as well if possible.
    Thanks.
    adam6402 likes this.
  6. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    cool track/video... amazes me everytime i watch a video of a big bore , how little your on the throttle.. just quick burst ..doesn't feel like it when you riding though. Riding
    an Auto down those hills takes some get use to,with all that free wheeling the trans does..
    Husky John
  7. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I read the above posts and have a few comments, probably correct but not certain.

Didn't the 500 auto have a steel kick starter kind of L shaped? The one in the picture I call the dog leg one I don't think that is the right one. The aluminum ones have two variants I am aware of the 87-88 (though never seen an auto later than 86 myself) are held on kind of by a bolt going in sideways and a groove in the steel part where the earlier ones that were aluminum attach via a bolt in the end of the steel part they attach to.

The 420 cylinder sure seems like the same basic casting as the 430, air cooled, just a bit planed off top and bottom and not all appear done the same way. I guess the Cunningham bike referenced in the post above would have the crank wheels with a two mm longer stroke to match up with a 430 cylinder. Never did think to measure the rod length 420 to 430. I dream more of going the other way with the 72 mm stroke 420 go down to a modern 250 piston they have that stroke.
  8. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    WayneL:
    Nice video. It looks like perfect terrain for the 500 AE.
    Thanks for sharing. Always like to hear the 500 run. Makes me want to get mine out. Post some pics if you have them and any mods you have made.

Send me you email address and I'm send the article.
    Also have another article, you may have seen, by Aussie Dirt Bike mag on the 500AE and how to maintain it and ride it. Very good article.
    (thanks to Michel)

fran...k. The Aussie article I mentioned has a picture of a 500 with a kick starter like mine. I suppose either style would work, but maybe the shaft design is different.
    If I see the Cunningham bike again, I'll get some pictures and post here.
    Dave
  9. WayneL Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 WR400 88 WR125 84 AE500 &13 WR300
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW R1200GS and R80G/S PD
    Re the original kick start for the AE 500:
    Yes, the original kick start levers are steel and a similar shape to the alloy 87-88 ones (like the one Michel posted). They are a little bit longer than the alloy items and that makes them just a little harder to use being further off the ground. I've fitted an alloy one to mine as I'm only 5'11" and can't get my knee above my shoulder :)

Will post some pics when i work out where my hosting account is! (not a lot of use)
  10. Orville Story Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1984 AE 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    1970 650 BSA Lightning, 2009 XR 1200
    I would like to see that Cycle News article as well.
  11. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Orville:
    Contact me through CafeHusky with your email address and I'll send it to you. It's a couple of large PDF files...
    Dave
  12. Orville Story Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1984 AE 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    ostory@tymedrywall.com Thanks
  13. Orville Story Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1984 AE 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    I posted a picture of the kick start but it didn't appear. You can find it on my website on the Husky page.
    www.tymedrywall.com/
  14. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

500 ae Orville story:

500 ae 84.Orville.2.jpg 500 ae 84.Orville.3.jpg

Is your 500 AE running ? Any problems with it ?
  15. Orville Story Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1984 AE 500
    Other Motorcycles:
    It was running great when I parked it 20+ years ago. Yesterday was the first time it has been moved in 20 years. After my best friend and racing partner was killed in a car wreck, I was just never motivated to ride it again. My wife has been on me for years to sale it, and that was my thoughts yesterday. After reading the threads in this site, it has brought back old memories, and now I believe I will restore it. Maybe putt around in a vintage class for old farts.

I'm sure the carb and reeds need a major clean up. The bike in general needs a lot of attention before I even try to fire it back up again. It was tough to crank this thing when I was young, I can only imagine what it's going to be like now.
  16. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Needs some cleaning, the bike is complete.