1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

85 250WR

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bmaco, Dec 22, 2016.

1. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    I used one fork seal as Kartwheel described. I replaced my ignition crank seal because it was easy- already had the ignition off. I knew this bike had sat for at least 10 years. If the clutch side seal fails you won't blow the motor because of it. Wouldn't replace unless I had to-it's not my only bike.
    huskymack likes this.
  2. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    ive used the 39x 11's as well with no drama..splitting a perfectly good engine is a perfectly good personal choice. a leak down test will solve the question of should I or shouldn't I??.

in reality, knowing the bikes history, the engine will be fine. my experience was a motor full of coolant and no history.
  3. Eric The Leg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 WR400, 1985 WRX400, 1979 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 Kawasaki KZ 440
    I'm +1 for on the fence about splitting for seals. If it'll help you sleep better at night, do it, otherwise, I might take it for a couple trail-rides and see if there's evidence of oil getting out. Hard seals or not, if your bearings are fine, the shaft doesn't move that much side-to-side.

You might add your water pump bearing/seal to easy-to-replace list, since you're probably pulling your clutch cover anyway. Silencer packing could be worth considering, if I remember right, your baffle tube is attached, making what's a relatively easy job for most bikes kind-of a pain in the butt, so maybe silencer packing is off the list....

The added obvious stuff I don't think I've seen yet, tires are always a good idea if it's been sitting, wheel bearings are relatively cheap and easy too. In my experience, your brake pads and shoes may have separated by now too.
  4. jack topper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda, yamaha, suzuki, Indian, Kawas

I recall reading somewhere on this site that crankcase pressure testing should not exceed 10 psi, and one person who limits it to 6 psi...
  5. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I had restored 15 Husqvarnas and had 10 more to go. It got to the point to pay me now or pay me later with replacing crank seals and crank bearings. I've had one or two that ran for a while but ended up rebuilding the engine anyway. So I figure do it up front while I paint the frame. I would rebuild the engines and put them on the shelf then paint the frames. Then the assembly started. I had the production process down. I hate pulling the engine to rebuild it after the bike was assembled. Double the work. These mid 70's to mid 80's bikes are old now. For the cost up front and if the crank is good we're ahead.
  6. 1982 XC 430 Husqvarna
    AA Class

As far as the Engine is concerned it all depends on corrosion. I bought an 84 250 WR that still had the original Tires on it and its Engine was completely shot due to corrosion. Since You know the bike and its storage all these years You are probably a head of those of Us who buy project bikes with fingers crossed. I'm sure You have already rolled the motor over on the kickstater ? What goes wrong in these motors is that condensation builds in the lower end and the Magnesium Cases rot out. Some times so bad that there will be a hole right in the bottom at the split. If it was mine I would start out by doing a Top end. Once the Cylinder is off You will get a look at the Crank and if it hasn't any sign of rust then You are probably good to go. If there is rust then roll the Crank till You can look straight down at the bottom of the Cases. Some Pitting is nothing to be concerned about as long as it looks like it can still seal. If there is loose corrosion it needs to be cleaned out or it will find its way to the Bearings. If You do decide to split the Cases Husqvarna's use a special Case Splitter that should be used. A search on this sight will show home made versions as well as ways to do it with out a Splitter. The Bearings stay on the Crank un like most other bikes. Take a quick look at ebay and see how many Cases are for sale with big screwdriver marks from somebody forcing everything apart. Don't take it to a modern Motorcycle dealer to have it done right if they don't have the Splitter cause if they don't then they also don't know why they need it. Buy the Splitter or ship the lower end to somebody familiar with these Engines. But if all looks good then I would just give the Cylinder a quick Ball Hone have a real good look at the Intake Rubber some new Gaskets clean the Carb and fire it up.
  7. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    I forgot about corrosion...very good point.
  8. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    Surprize and XC430 are correct, it all depends on condition. I did not mean to say you should never rebuild an engine, but do it only based on the condition and if it actually needs it. If you inspect it and it is good, why waste the time and money? As already pointed out in this thread, you can change every seal in a Husky except the wet side (which is the least likely to fail) without splitting the cases so those are quick and easy. The only reason to rebuild an engine that you have inspected and is perfectly good like Bill is recommending is so you can brag to people on the internet that you did it.
    starrblade likes this.
  9. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    priceless advice
  10. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I always change all the seals and bearings on a re-build. In fact I forge and make my own bearings and also go to the Amazon rain forest to harvest my own rubber for the seals I make myself as well (naturally)
    Eric The Leg and Eurofreak like this.
  11. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    85/WR 400,86/WR 240,83/430 is mates
    Other Motorcycles:
    69@71/TS90-76/TS100-72/DKW-78/PE
    I always do a complete rebuild , they run nicer that way and you know what you've got.
  12. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    That's a 84 in Australia , fairly rare . I have a single shock 85 x Wr400.
  13. dukkman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Can you knock up a 85/86 lower single shock bearing for me as I don't seem to be able to find one.
  14. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Small Shop in Wagga Wagga has them in stock
    ajcmbrown likes this.
  15. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    Small Shop in Wagga Wagga has them in stock

:lol::D
  16. Eurofreak Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1986 TE 510, 1982 CR250, 2008 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    70's Triumph , Bultaco , Maico, etc
    Where the hell's Wagga Wagga? Naughty bits waving in the breeze ?
    :popcorn:
  17. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    do you know where Sausalito CA is??.....its nowhere near there !:lol:

its actually an outbackish New South Wales town / city

the chance of finding lower husky shock bearings in wagga is the cube root of zero
  18. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

stuck there once for 3 days
    dukkman likes this.
  19. 84scrambler Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 xc 250, 85 wrx 250, 79 wr 250
    What we have here is a very wide spread difference of personalities . Some are here just for the build others just for the ride and I'm sure some for a little of both, There's those who have already learned the hard way and regret it and some who just have not learned yet. It's just a matter of time. Is your mug half empty or half full ? Some may do it for the Braggin rights but some were just taught that way , Bearings are black and white but a 35 year old seal is just skimping . just my 2 cents...
    jack topper likes this.
  20. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    stuck there once for 3 days

YPB....there are much better places to get stuck.....