1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

84 - 88 Clutch / Transmission Covers For Lc Engines

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by chris squires, Feb 1, 2012.

1. chris squires Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1987 CR240 CR500 1988 WR430
    Hi,

I need some guidance...

I require a replacement clutch / tranny cover for a 5 spring clutch liquid cooled engine (corrosion).

Am I correct in thinking that all LC clutch covers are identical in design throughout these years? ie, screw / pin location; gear selector, kickstarter and water pump shaft position diameter. Is the size of clutch 'bowl' casting the same and so on...

What year did Husky switch to aluminium covers?

Thanks in advance

Chris
  2. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I will try and note what I have observed.

The later version had a few changes. I would assume your kick starter pedal has a bolt on the top near the engine where the later one has a capped top and doesn't fall off because of a through bolt which intersects a groove. The offset of the pivot vs. the splined shaft going through the cover is different. Less for the later one. The rubber bumper for the kick start is different for 87-88. I think you might need a custom bumper or encounter some minor issue there. Otherwise I don't see why it wouldn't work. There are steel sleeves in the kick start hole and the shift hole on the later ones. There may be more or o ring changes somewhere along the way on those two shafts though I doubt that is of much consequence. It does appear the later one has more volume in the clutch area. Maybe they did make aluminum ones but the ones that came in 1988 will produce flashes of light from filings coming in contact with a flame.

I just assume this pertains to two stroke. I never tested a four stroke cover. I am pretty sure those cases and the auto are aluminum. Whether they sourced the cover for the four stroke from the case maker or not can't say.

Fran
  3. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300, 87 430wr, 86 430ae, Tr650
    It is my understanding that they switched from mag to aluminum covers sometime in 86.

In 86 there was a mounting bolt added to help strengthen the left center case.

87-88 also had a larger diameter clutch, so the dish on the later models could be a little bigger.

A 87/88 cover will work on the 84-86 models but you may have some clearance issues on trying to fit a 86 and earlier cover on the 87-88 models.

I think your looking for the 86 or later cover with the extra bolt around the kickstarter gear, should also be made of aluminum.
  4. chris squires Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Fran,

Yes my engine is a two stroke 500cc CR '86 model. Thanks for this information, obviously from first hand experience. I thought they all looked similar in appearance, but thats not good enough when buying used spares! Now I know what to expect thanks again.

Cheers:thumbsup:

Chris
  5. chris squires Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Jim,

Thanks for adding that. I have seen a 1987 wr400 cover for sale, with this information I am sure this is the way to go.

Thanks

Chris
  6. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I was just noting that the 87-88 cover ideally ought to be paired with an 87-88 kick start pedal and the part it keys onto. Here is proof the later version corrodes just like the earlier one.

Fran

Attached Files:

chris squires likes this.
  7. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300, 87 430wr, 86 430ae, Tr650
    Wow, that one sure did. Mine all look like new. I wonder if there is some kind of eletrolysis going on or if it is in the water/antifreeze ?

Jim
  8. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    That is from using coolant mixed with regular water as opposed to using deionized water. I had same issue only much worse on my 400WRX with magnesium cover