1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

'83 XC500 coming home

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by White Husky, Oct 20, 2009.

1. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Good news

My 1983 XC500 is coming home. I bought her off ebay in December 2008 and haven't seen her yet. She was delivered direct to a registration agent getting it road legal and registered for use on the road in the UK (a requirement for an enduro bike).

Today it has its number plate (permit for road use) and Tax Disc (annual permit) and MOT (Ministry of Transport test of road worthiness). Coupled with road insurance (already have) she is now ready for me to ride on any public highway.

Of course strictly forbidden is to ride on any piece of land not designated as a byway open for all traffic as per the official map; i.e. if it's not specifically allowed (over here), then it's illegal :(

Now I just have to drive the 200 miles and collect her.

Photos coming soon!
  2. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    hey Luc, that headlight mask went for $66.00 to a guy in Germany. I cant wait to see pics of your 500xc, the pics in the kicker post look awesome. I have a 1986 400wr on the road. definately a handful, it doesnt really like being ridden on blacktop pavement.
  3. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi WRX; gutted not to have won your headlight surround. Looked like it would clean up nice. Hope the German chap appreciates it. The guy I bought the XC from was supposed to be supplying me with OEM period lighting kit, but he let me down. He also hasn't supplied a quiet muffler and various other bits that I've paid him for, so I'm on the lookout for a few bits and pieces. Ebay. Buyer beware etc.

It's been quite a long road registering the bike due to various things he ommitted to mention. I'm gonna start a thread on it when it finally arrives - spot the deliberate mistake sort of thing, ie what's on this bike that shouldn't be! I've discovered quite a few anomalies but there must be more.

I should be picking up the XC in the next couple of weeks when I can find time to drive up and collect. Coincidentally I have a 1962 Volvo the has been at the restorers since December also not too far from where the Husky is. The Volvo is being run-in and I have to go and snag it. Should be able to combine the two trips. Looking forward to the Husky. Although road legal, the plan is to ride it off-road. Any bike ridden over here in any public place needs to be road registered. Hope to post pictures soon.

Kind regards
    Luc
  4. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    Enjoy that big bore! Post some pics and some of the Volvo. Is the Volvo an Amazon (122 to US), a 544 or something more exotic?:cheers:
  5. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi Norman - yes, it's a 1962 122S. Red with white roof. Owned it since about 1983 (the year my Husky was built). This will be its second restoration. It did 225,000 miles and 32 years before the first restoration, and about 5,000 miles and 15 years in between the first and second.

I'll post up some pics of the two Sweeds together!
  6. luvwoods Husqvarna
    AA Class

Maybe you can trailer the Volvo home behind your 500 :lol:
  7. hawaii-rider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2018 TC250, 2015 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    04 CRF-270x, 95 CR500, 93 CR250 etc
    Dont think the Volvo can keep stable once Ten Fins gets into 6th.

Poor Volvos dont like to be towed.

:D

HR

[IMG]
  8. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Exhaust

Hi All

I finally made time to make the 350 mile trip to collect the XC500 from the shop registering it. It's home, and road registered and legal. That the first bit of good news with this bike. After buying it sight-unseen a year ago, finally I have sight of it.

Second bit of good news - it's looking very nice.

Some bad news: despite being a completely new Husqvarna; there's plenty that isn't 1983 Husqvarna, plenty that isn't XC Husqvarna, and some that isn't even Husqvarna. That's not all bad news, as some non-Husky parts are very nice.

Here's some nice non-Husky bits:

[IMG]
    Brake pedal looks trick. Footpegs are nice. Not sure what either of them are, other than non-original. There are lots of nice touches on this bike, but...

Here's a nasty Husky bit: is this a CR125 muffler on an XC500??

[IMG]
    I was investigating why this beast is SO LOUD. The part number on the sticker on the exhaust muffler (tail-pipe)(if true) is 15 13 393-01 (or 02; difficult to tell) so it's not 1983 it's 1985 and it's either (probably) a CR125 or (maybe) a CR250. Can anyone confirm this? All I know is it looks incredibly small for a 500 two-stroke muffler. I want something quiet. Has anyone got anything suitable, or any leads as to where to buy? Anyone recognise the rear tail-pipe (muffler), or for that matter the main exhaust pipe - is that a 500 part?

More photos to come.

Cheers
    Lucien
  9. frog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Super nice 500. The pegs are Husky products pegs. The brake lever is a Up-tite or Up-Tite copy by Goerge Erl. All nice items don't let anyone con them off you. Yes the muffler is small,look for a CR muffler, the XC/WR mufflers were terrible and plugged up. Answer products make a nice aluminium one.
  10. frog Husqvarna
    AA Class

Answer

Attached Files:

11. White Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hi Frog. Nice looking bike you've got there. Very clean.

Perhaps I should put a trade up in the sales area to swap my new-old-stock CR125/250 pipe for a XC/CR 500 pipe? I guess I'd need to find out which my pipe is first. Last digit of part number isn't clear. Does anyone have a stock pipe for the CR250 or CR125 from 1985 they could measure for me? I think mine is the 125 pipe.

Another thought I had was FMF pipes. They don't do a vintage Husky pipe. Does anyone know of other MX tail pipes that are a fit? KX500 / Honda 500 etc?

Anyone got an Answer products pipe for sale?

Thanks
    Lucien
  12. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
    15 13 393-02 is 85 500CR part

My parts books says a 15 13 393-02 is 85 500CR part (silencer)

does it have any packing in it??

Looks like a Stock 500 pipe to me, get a WR silencer, there quieter

Husqvarna-parts has a NOS Answer silencer if i remember right on his
    site.

Real nice bike :applause:

John
  13. mradovich Husqvarna
    AA Class

Nice looking bike, I bought an 86 xc400 when I got out of the service (92) and ive been kicking myself everyday for selling it
  14. husky-parts.com Husqvarna
    AA Class

Footpegs and the Brake pedal (up-tite copy, hard anodized black) are both from husqvarna-parts.com. Brake pedal is not available at this time and is a highly sought after part.
  15. Joe Chod Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Good to see you on here Phil

Joe