1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

83 125XC with 175 top end

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by yota, Jun 12, 2021.

1. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Is there any difference between 125 and 175 head ?
  2. yota Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 XC125
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    other than the obvious that it is cut for a bigger bore I don't remember as I did the swap 10 years ago and the bike has just sat under a bike cover. I have been thinking about pulling the top end off to compare with the 125 top end which I still have as I have read a lot of old threads with guys wondering the same, esp how the pistons are different.
  3. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    The 1983 part list for the 175 shows a different part # for the head compared to the 125 so most likely the 175 head combustion chamber is opened up some to keep the compression ratio correct.

Marty
  4. yota Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 XC125
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    it would be different anyway as the bore is much bigger and the head has to match the bore.
  5. yota Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 XC125
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    cool. my wheels were completed today. very excited.

7-4-21.jpg
  6. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    VERY nice job. The yellow progressive springs look way better, and they white ones were just too mushy as you said.

And you said the 175 part was done with NOS parts... so where did you find the piston?
  7. yota Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 XC125
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    it was 10 years ago or so but pretty sure I stumbled onto the parts on ebay. just looked in my husky parts bin, here's a pic of the box the piston came in. I also have the stock fork springs in that bin so forgot I also went with stiffer fork springs when I 175 piston box.jpg got the stiffer yellow shock springs.
  8. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    Super Lucky Find, as you know! I'm dying to get that first ride on mine, cuz I have no idea what the power is going to be like. I'm aware the the Husky 125's didn't set the world on fire, but how is the 175?
  9. yota Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 XC125
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I haven't ridden it for 10 years! I remember the low end was way better, top end seemed good. keep in mind that this is an air cooled small bore with basically 70's technology in a large heavy chassis designed for the 500cc model. it's not going to be a championship contender.
  10. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    I don't expect much. Just want a small bore dual shock for a little variety from the 430's.
    Looks like you found a beautiful set of Nordisk rims. Would you please share what that gold is?
  11. yota Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    83 XC125
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    they are the stock rims which were gold but faded from me using harsh chemicals for cleaning. I had them re-anodized. don't know what the color is. he had dark gold like maico used and this lighter gold. it was more like the stock husky gold which was pretty light.
  12. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    The color is nice. Gold is difficult. Can be too yellow, or too bronze. I think you nailed it. Anodizing, unfortunately, is getting hard to find.