1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

'82 XC 430 tire and parts help

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by guscycle, Feb 25, 2015.

1. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '99 Husky CR250, '07 Husky WR125,
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 Husky SMR450, '98 Husky Scooter
    Just got a 82 XC430 and trying to find a source for replacing the mammoth rear 5.60 x 17 tire for it. Has anyone run the 5.10 instead? Tire choices are getting kinda slim for the 17 "and although I may want to find an 18" ,I really would like to keep it close to stock as possible....also I saw some time ago a photo of this same bike with a completely different kick starter -any clues what it could be? I searched so many sections of restored Husky's ,but can't seem to remember what site it was on.
    I am just starting to restore it,not to museum show quality, but to be ridden (along with my other 3 Husky's) until I can't ride no more ,then it will passed on to my son.....plus it's just so damn cool looking !
  2. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    does yours have a ugly starter with 3 bends in it ?
    and the one you saw is just straight and simple ?

its the 4 stroke / later on 2 stroke one .

17 sucks . end of story . if yours is non floating brake then you will find a complete 18 wheel that will slot in .
  3. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    IRC volcanduro EVs are available in 17s 460-510s my 85 DR 250 is 17
  4. ruwfo Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1980 390CR, 1982 430CR, 1984 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    1985 250XC, 2016 FJ-09
  5. visiteur1948 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    husqvarna only
    vr-roadlegal.jpg

vee rubber VRM 109 4.50 X 17 !:thumbsup:

SAM_5423.JPG
  6. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    The IRC Vulcanduro VE33 in 5.10-17 the an excellent tire that works everywhere. There is nothing wrong with a 17, I would not go to a lot of trouble to convert to an 18 unless you happen to find one really cheap. Remember, we are not racing for world championships, just pretending. The kicker you want is on all Swedish Huskys from '84-up, it is a straight aluminum kicker and bolts right on.
    cruisetopdown likes this.
  7. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    As to the tire, I have used a few vulconduro ones in 18 and chances are that is going to be the hot set up. I have also used a few Pirelli mt21 in the biggest 18 inch size. That is a dot tire, actually a lot of adventure bikes use 17 inch rims now so I don't think it as bad as it used to be. I think the backing plate/rim fit changed around 1984 so an 1983 rear wheel would be what to look for unless you change the backing plate, and then things changed As to the attachment of the plate to the bike soon after mono shock the way my parts pile looks. Cr excluded from my comments.

As to the dog leg kick starter, I like it. It does put stresses on the clutch cover and that added fastener at the rear top that came out around 1986 probably should be coppied and added somehow. I believe the non dog leg one was steel at first in 1984 then aluminum later on but the 87 and up attach differently and the offset is a bit different. They went to steel at least by 1999 in the next section older single cam four strokes that is similar in a lot of ways.
  8. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    you gotta watch those big 17s on 430s i have a buddy who always ran a 5.00 x 17 Metzler on his 390s when he got his 2 factory supported 430 for 81 mounted up his beloved Metz and BOOM no fingers on the clutch basket :eek: basket after basket drove Husky nuts till he went to the OK national and THE KING saw what he had on it for a tire he made him change it to a Dunlop K190 5.10 x17 and no more shredded baskets
  9. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    Every '81-'83 430 should have the solid steel 400LC or 250 clutch and primary gears in it for better starting anyway.
  10. guscycle Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '99 Husky CR250, '07 Husky WR125,
    Other Motorcycles:
    '10 Husky SMR450, '98 Husky Scooter
    ...thanks a bunch! great,sound advice. Gonna keep it simple and close to stock(stock parts when available and stock from other year Husky's when needed) ,run the 17" ,find the kick start lever - I did have one here that came of a 98 410 - would keep the stock one but it's floppin' around like a flounder,even when it is seated in holder- then it begins rubbing cylinder...
  11. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    About 20 years ago one of my local dealers had a dozen of new 510:17 trellborg. I ended up buying three or four till they were gone. I put these new 17 inch tires on every restored bike. I wonder if we can get new trellborg tires today?

I notice with the cheaper cheng shin tires the Honda cr 125 would just shred them in a few rides. The knobbies would wear down. My point is I learned to buy better quality tires. I used a lot of IRC Tires. I use the M5B Today. I'm not sure what's offered in 17" but the older four strokes used them I believe.
  12. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    The 500 had solid clutch fingers where the others I have seen have ones sort of shaped like a structural steel channel. Regardless of how much power they make the mass of the crankshaft assembly is essentially the same on the 430 and 500.
  13. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Those were probably the 17 pound ones for who knows what big adventure bikes. I got one. The trellbog were popular for hillclimbing around here, cut out every other row of knobs, the row with four knobs not the one with 5. You ended up with a few more sets of knobs than the ircm5b. If you had an open bike that made a lot of power they didn't seem to hold up those guys mostly use tereflex. There were light ones as well as normal. Motorace or something like that not too far to the north of here was the distributor perhaps you have seen their emblem or sticker on some. One local guy used to work there and says no more though there may well be another source. I havn't seen a trellborg, well a "new" in quite a few years.
  14. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I picked up a complete bottom end from a '87 430cr 5 speed if I remember correctly.
    It has the larger clutch setup.

Now I do drop my front sprocket one tooth on the larger cc or more with the smaller cc engines. On the older husqvarnas so I take some stress away from the tranny and let the rear wheel spin when it wants too. Or I go larger on the rear sprocket so the smaller diameter of the front sprocket does wear the chain quicker by wrapping it tighter. I try to balance out the power to weight ratio. Riders weight, bikes weight and the power. Now factor in the size of the rear tire. I try not to over tire it too.
  15. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Now with that said the tire sizes.

5:10 = 5.10"

140 metric = 5.15"

130 metric = 5.05"

120 metric = 4.20"

110 metric = 4.10"

100 metric = 4.00"

25.4 = 1"

Sorry I didn't calculate anything. Rough measurements.

The older husqvarnas run some big tires.
  16. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now

My 79 390cr would spin the big trellborg tire like crazy the tire never stopped spinning unless I shifted. A had 25' spaces of smooth earth where I shifted. The 390 never stopped ripping. You could follow the 390 because it left it's distinctive tire marks.

Maybe too much traction if the clutch baskets are breaking? I say change the gearing and run a smaller rear tire let it spin.
  17. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    mitas bought all the motorcycle molds and compound information from trelleborg a few years ago. so yes, you can still buy many trelleborg designs like the tenmaster or deep grip. they will be branded as a mitas, with a different name/number. the tires i bought this winter for snow/ice riding are the legendary trelleborg winter now sold as the mitas winter friction seen below. factory installed studs and rubber compound for cold weather. they work very well...bill and fran, im sure you remember the trelleborg stripe that goes on the left side of bike, different colors for different compounds. white is for winter/ice. i think red and green were/are also available. mitas is continuing this
    Photo574.jpg
  18. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks for that information. I was thinking about $500 set of tires for the snow run a few hours ago and that was a number of years ago. I bought a used set once. The rubber is pretty aged by now. I bought a smallish 17 inch one from Burt Ives Honda, special order once and all I recall is the moto race sticker that I saw later elsewhere. I guess I have seen that stripe in your photo before. Not sure how to count that monster I mentioned above but someone wanted it so I sold it.
  19. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    There isn't any guarantee the same size numbering means the same size in reality. Then there is the aspect ratio how high vs wide or the other way around with the most common numbering system now.
  20. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    i don't think anybody uses the tape measure that 500 x 17 metz was way way more tire than the 5.10 x 17 duny that replaced it be real nice if the manufacturers would get on the same page with accurate, standardized sizing :thumbsup: