1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

82/83 Husqvarna cr500 test/stats

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Bigbill, Oct 11, 2017.

1. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    Why would you want to port a 500 ?? :confused: I can understand if you have a retired GP rider living next door that needs a rush now and again.
    Who is going to ride it anyway ?
  2. stormer254 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    More than I dare let her know
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yes!
    A similar thought crossed my mind
  3. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    thats so "the tire never stops spinning"
    DeathFromAbove likes this.
  4. LastSwedish Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1987 WR430
    Other Motorcycles:
    1991 ATK 406, 1985 Honda XR350R, etc
    I would suggest the reason for 'porting' any 2-T engine can range from cleaning up the ports, especially the transfers, that can actually smooth out the power delivery and often help that power delivery be less pipey. On a big bore that can make riding it less fatiguing and actually faster. From there, if you know what you are doing (of send it to someone who does) you can shift around the rpm range to what you want for where you ride most often, and/or build in a significant increase in output if needed/wanted!!!
    Bigbill and DeathFromAbove like this.
  5. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    the key sentence is someone who knows what they are doing ! keep you money in your pocket Bill and lie to your friends that its ported .:)
  6. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
  7. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    all very true...but the 500 is about as forgiving as i imagine it can get!
  8. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    It all comes from American drag strip and big number hp fantasy. I could never find a need to increase horsepower on any open bike I have ever owned. If I did anything, it would be to soften the brutish power but then neither of the open Huskies I had never needed more than cleaning and matching the ports.

And yes, I have said this previously as well.
  9. Kartwheel68 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 125XC, 250XC, 430XC, 430WR, 250CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    83 175WR , 76 250WR, 74 250 Mag
    I agree 100% with the above. I will add that for 99% of people (including me) if you own an open class bike and you want it to go faster you need to buy a gym membership for yourself and forget the bike.

But Bill knows what to do, he will raise the exhaust port 3/8" and widen it 1/8" on his 500 because some chainsaw racer did it.
    Bigbill and 86 400 XC like this.
  10. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    With the 500 At 53 rwhp that sounds about right. With the 390 at 43hp that puts the 420/430 inbetween like at 48hp.

Porting can smooth out the power delivery or you can have more hit depending on what you want. It’s the difference in being with a wild woman or a nun. Having the extra power it’s all in the twistie. If you don’t need it don’t twist it. I’m sorry I liked ripping out of the turns, Brapp, brapp, brapp, Just wicking it at will where you can. I like hearing the engine respond. Everyone who hears the bike has to ask about it. (390 at the dam) I liked showing off the old husky.
  11. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Oh come on now it was the factory rep from husky saws who did the cylinder I just measured it. It’s raise the exhaust port 1/8” and arc it to the sides then polish the exhaust port. Then they lowered the intake port. It’s like having more degrees of duration on a camshaft. It opens a exhaust valve sooner. This saw at the speed cutting at the local fair beat the other saws by seconds. My husky 2100(99cc) did eight cuts on a 9”x 9” timber in 17.5 seconds for first place. Now if I can put that bar and chain on my 500 husky lol.

I experimented on three or four 2t engines trying different porting. On the piston ported engines we cut 1/8” off the bottom of the piston to change the port timing. Then I raised the exhaust port. Then I lowered the intake.

There was a TT 500 racer in England who wasn’t winning. He talked with a racer in Australia who posted his porting and tuning specs. The racer from England started winning. A little porting goes a long way.

If your not using the full turn on the twistie don’t port it. Leave it stock.

Don’t forget I rode a 1200cc bandit on the street, the dirtbike didn’t scare me nor did the bandit.

Where’s the popcorn.
  12. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I been porting drag races engines since my late teens. It’s not my first rodeo. I do all my own work. It’s all about smoothing out the flow. We actually increase the flow rate. I’m 67yo now. I tried different ways to port 2t one at a time, my 81 250cr husky was the results of trying all different things to other engines in one engine. On the knife edge in the transfer port I don’t do a straight knife edge. I make a half moon shape. I feel it centralizes the gas flow in the port.

I took a 396 bb Chevy 325hp ported it added the 375hp valve train and had 299hp at the rear wheels on the full body car dyno. That’s 400+ hp at the engine. She ran 12.85 seconds in the quarter mile first time at the track.