1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

'82 500cr grossi clone?

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by Bigbill, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Your running oil in the ignition compartment? You seal the ign cover and rubber wire grommet. I guess you need to silicone inside the wire harness so the oil doesn't creep up the wires. If you putting oil in the ignition to cool it.
  2. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    It won't creep up the wires. If it did, it doesn't matter. Most modern wires are oil resistant anyway. The only thing you will need to do is to drill a hole and install a small vent hose.
  3. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I just worries about leakage of oil.
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    pretty interesting..andys cast ignition covers would be excellent for that
    darren7878 likes this.
  5. darren7878 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    79 CR390 and 84 CR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    81 Maico, 79 Kawasaki, 88 Honda
    "pretty interesting..andys cast ignition covers would be excellent for that"

yes better for dispersing the heat too!!
  6. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thats correct, bought them from HVA in the UK and trimmed them myself. Got the graphic from EVO-MX in the UK.
    SteveJ likes this.
  7. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I'm thinking about using a '82 cr frame for the grossi clone.

I have a 83 wr frame but I hate to cut it for a cr frame when I have the 430wr engine for it. I'd like to keep what I can orginal.
  8. jo360 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 exc framed wr430 engine
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 520exc
    The gear lever looks longer than standard, do you have to modify the claw that engages the selector drum to lessen the movement required at the lever tip to engage the gears..find my standard set up requires much more movement at the lever to engage than the modern engines.neat trick with the oil bath i know some race bikes ran a air cooled finned set up on the stators.
  9. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    The shift levers angle is way too high for me. A little lower on the angle is perfect for riding boots. I have no clue why they run the levers so high.

In the elevator industry the hydraulic motors and pumps are in the hydraulic oil tank. Probably to keep the heat down besides having the pump right in the oil stops the cavitation too. But cooling the ignition sounds like a good idea. Of course we must think about the oils flash point. I think most hydraulic oils are 70c degrees flash point. I'm not sure how hot that area gets but I don't think it's that hot.
  10. Bengt Husky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Eh no. The reason the lever is high is because I have massive feet...size 48 or 13 in old money. Putting oil in the electrex is to improve heat dissipation. The electrex are running slightly above 100 deg c in air and don't like it. Running them in oil dissipates the heat better....but no one has looked at the "wash loss" that is the downside of running them in oil.
    oldbikedude likes this.
  11. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I sit close to the gas tank so my boots angle down so the shifter is more angled downward.

So a electrex is another good ignition to consider when buying new?
  12. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I picked up a hand held portable tach to adjust the balance screw. I just can hear the rpms change. It's a more exact way of setting the low speed jetting.
  13. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    Since I've seen talk about the clutch basket starter gear wearing out I just picked up a extra complete clutch and starter gear setup. I think the 430's and 500's have this gear wear problem. It could be form running with a low oil level I guess.
  14. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    I'm the same way, Bill. I hate to cut up a bike if I have the parts for it. Memory plays tricks but, having gone to the USGP almost every year during this time, I could swear the factory team ran the new 500 engine in an 82 frame before they brought out the 83/ITC frame in 82 colors. In fact, I specifically remember seeing the "430" come by and thinking it didn't look right (cylinder) or sound right.
  15. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    One thing I've been told is the single long bearing doesn't support the clutch basket that well and to use two narrow bearings instead .
  16. darren7878 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    79 CR390 and 84 CR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    81 Maico, 79 Kawasaki, 88 Honda
    Bigbill - Yes silicone applied to one side of the gasket on the ignition. Am running the compartment about 50% full. Had used 4 Electrex ignitions with no issues then another batch seemed to be breaking down after about 15 mins hard running. Venting the cover resolved the issue but is not great for dirt etc so Andy @ HVA suggested running it in oil like other modern systems.....it works.........

I fitted another Electrex yesterday to an 84.
  17. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    If we're running a vent hose from the ignition housing I would run it up the frame and go under the gas tank. I wonder if a stone gas filter on the end would keep the dirt out?
  18. flamepainter78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

19. oldbikedude Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 wr 430 with cr suspension
    Other Motorcycles:
    66flh,67 CA77,76 CR125M,73H1,74ty250
    Wow, really nice bike painterman.
  20. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle: