1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

81 430 Xc Oil Leak

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by jinotown, Jun 18, 2018.

1. jinotown Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 Husqvarna 430 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 Can Am 175, 18 YZ450, 08 CRF450
    I have a new-to-me 81 430 XC. There is a steady flow of trans oil leaking from the fill cap while the bike is running. The overall condition is excellent. The fill plug looks to be original and the o-ring is new. I believe the bike was stored for several years. The oil level is correct according to the case markings. I have only run the bike for about 15 minutes as I would like to correct this issue. The engine compression is great and it absolutely rips. Is it normal for it to blow oil out until is reaches a "happy level"? The case vent is not plugged. I thought this might sound like crank seals need to be replaced. Any advise is greatly appreciated.
  2. silverstreakNZ Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82cr500,76gp360,90wr250,81 420AXC
    Other Motorcycles:
    74 tm400 , 02 gasgas ec 300
    Nah they need to seal properly . The spinning of the primary gears throws it right at the cap . Do not open it with the bike running lol
    The thread is very coarse and the face isn't flat play with 0 ring sizes or flat rubber washers until it behaves .
    I settled on a thick o ring and less torque on the cap
  3. jinotown Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1981 Husqvarna 430 XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1979 Can Am 175, 18 YZ450, 08 CRF450
    Thank you silverstreakNZ. I'll mess around with various seals and o rings.
  4. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    dont overlook the possibility of a dud seal. check for a huge cloud of smoke coming all the way from where you started. it will smell like burning gearbox oil...:D