1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

74 400 Cross Engine Assembly Help?

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by bul_racer, Jul 16, 2021.

1. DeathFromAbove My Cat Says AREAR!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    70,71 360 8s 72,74 450 73 360 73 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    66 Triumph Trophy 99 ZRX1100
    I thought he was saying he heated the left stub while in the cases to 400deg f. If so he'll need a new left crank seal. After re reading his post, I still would not put a gear on the drive side stub if it was at that temp.
    bul_racer and Crashaholic like this.
  2. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    I know what you mean. When pulling the torque wrench it clicks sooner than I expect at 29lbs, but then who am I to second guess a mechanical engineer.
    bul_racer likes this.
  3. bul_racer Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400CR, 1975 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM, Honda, Bultaco, Yamaha

Me too, Crash!
  4. bul_racer Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400CR, 1975 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    So I've been mulling over what to do about my clutch assembly and getting a piston.

John Lefever says I should use the red loctite on the clutch but I'm not keen on using something that requires 500 degrees of heat to disassemble. Pretty sure DFA will agree on that. Not that I ever plan on taking this motor apart again but you never know... I wonder, what if I just put like 2 drops of the stuff on?

I've made a lock washer by cutting out slots in a spare washer & bending them to fit into the slots & then grinding those tabs to fit. Not sure I should use it though. I believe my homemade lock washer is stronger than the original by being thicker but the slots it fits into aren't very deep and I'm also concerned that with the thicker lock washer there's less thread in the nut to bolt on the clutch hub.

As I mentioned previously, I have a lot of experience with Bultacos and looking at a manual I see that their recommendation for torque on the clutch hub is 75 foot pounds. It looks like Husqvarna only specified 29 foot pounds for the 74 400CR. That seems awfully light to me & I'm wondering if maybe I should apply a bit more pressure rather than using red loctite?

I did receive notice from Vintco that they now have the 1st OS piston in stock so I guess I'll be ordering that.
    DeathFromAbove likes this.
  5. Crashaholic Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    73 450WR 6spd motor in a 75 MK frame
    Personally, I think you're complicating things. The Husky manual recommends a thread locker and a particular torque for a reason. Permatex has an orange product (25210) that claims its 3x stronger than red and it comes apart without the use of a blow torch or dynamite.
    bul_racer and DeathFromAbove like this.
  6. bul_racer Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400CR, 1975 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:

So how do you think it might be damaged? I tried reading some metallurgical treatises but the language was too technical for me. My impression is that if overheating damaged the part it will most likely be softer and more prone to wear... or maybe it'll be too brittle. Well, there's no visible damage but you've scared me enough that I've ordered a replacement on ebay.
  7. bul_racer Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400CR, 1975 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:

Crash, well Damn! This is exactly what I was looking for. Thanks!