1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

74 250 mag restore....need help locating item!

Discussion in 'Vintage Restoration Projects' started by metalhof, Sep 8, 2010.

1. metalhof Husqvarna
    AA Class

Hello all. Currently in the process of putting back together my 74 250 mag, and as you can see by the pic..am stuck putting it back together due to needing the steering stem bearings! I figured these would be a cinch to find, but have had no luck. Does anyone know if these are available...or if you can just buy loose balls? The bearings that came out appeared to be caged, but the cages were disintegrated. Any help would be appreciated! Im antsy to finish putting this thing together after months of work restoring all of the pieces :) thanks

Attached Files:

2. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    The balls are not caged. They are packed in bearing grease in the bearing cups and held by contact with the mating cone. The balls are either 3 or 4 mm diameter. You should be able to purchase balls from most industrial suppliers like MSC , McMaster-Carr, Graingers
  3. metalhof Husqvarna
    AA Class

progress

Found my bearings. Bike is coming along well now. Just finished clearing the tank. Still need to buff it out, but think it came out well! Right now still trying to despoke the wheels to refinish them. Front wheel spokes came right off, back wheel, that's a different story.....half of them are locked up tighter than a drum. Snapped a couple of them. Hopefully I can find a few spokes without having to buy a whole set !
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  4. tommie d Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Twenty one and counting
    Other Motorcycles:
    Two Honda's
    Sweet :thumbsup:
    What brand of handle bars & shocks are you using?
    Nice ST90 also.
  5. metalhof Husqvarna
    AA Class

handlebars are FLY vintage style handlebars. $30.00 new. Still deciding on whether or not I should go for the stock bars. Forrest Stahl down the road from me has a set of rechromed ones. For $30.00 though, I thought I'd try them....I think they look good, just not quite as Tall as the originals

Front Shocks are stock. Rear shocks are Kayaba. Still will probably source a set of originals. this bike sat in someones barn for the last 15 years, and those were on there, so I went ahead and refinished them for the time being! didnt realize they weren't the originals till i took them apart to sandblast.
  6. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

she's looking Puurdy...very nice..
    one thing...what about front fork wipers?..
  7. metalhof Husqvarna
    AA Class

I just ordered a set...I didn't even think about them until your reply!!...Probably would have been easier to put them on before I mounted the shocks up :) one of those things where you get in a hurry to see it go together

thanks!
  8. metalhof Husqvarna
    AA Class

quick question.....coil wiring. As you can see, there are three wires (blue, yellow, black). Obvious blue to coil and kill switch. i have no manual and forgot to mark it when i took it apart. I know this is a stupid question, but does the black or yellow wire go to the coil? both are same size plugs? Is on suppose to be grounded to the frame? I dont want to wipe the coil out trying both.

thanks
  9. i like rocks Husqvarna
    C Class

Nice bike looks like you have done a first class job
    Black and Blue go to coil Yellow is lighting / kill button grounds blue
    Make sure to get the paint off of the motor mounts and coil to frame tab all most all the trouble I have had with Plat system was a bad ground
  10. mike328 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I understand...I found myself removing parts on my restro also
  11. metalhof Husqvarna
    AA Class

Haven't had a whole lot of more time to work on it, but did manage to get a few hours in yesterday! Got it all wired up, got my levers/clutch cable installed, gas tank mounted, fuel line installed, made the two air box brackets, and got the freshly refinished muffler installed (thanks to my brother who was able to piece together a bent up, broken up exhaust shield to look like new). The muffler made all the difference in the world on how this bike looks. Didn't get the opportunity to try to start it...I think I'll wait until i get the wheels finished up and installed, for I want to be able to move it if it catches on fire or something :)!

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  12. Parh 474 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '73 Cr125, '06 Cr125/144
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ossa, Bultaco, Puch, Maico, AJS, Yam
    Very nice. You're not going to race it are you?
  13. Trailridernut Husqvarna
    A Class

Beautiful bike!
    That was my first question... race it or not?!
  14. metalhof Husqvarna
    AA Class

No racing here...I just enjoy the hobby of working on these kind of projects. I'll enjoy hopping on it after work in the summer and taking spins around the neighborhood.:)
  15. metalhof Husqvarna
    AA Class

I didnt post many pics throughout the resto, but I just finished her up this afternoon and took a few pics. The only thing I need is some silencer packing and the front frame-mount exhaust bracket.

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    markt2 likes this.
  16. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc
    Wow. That's really nice. [IMG]
  17. cntymnty Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 250CR Mag, 1978 390 OR
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 350 XC-F, Harley Ultra Classic
    Metalhof, I am rebuilding the intake on my newly acquired 74 Mag. My new production air cleaner is not clearing the frame under the seat. It looks like, but hard to tell, that yours has a half circle cut out of the cover to fit under the frame. Is that what I see?
  18. euro bikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

That is a great job, I have 1973 WR 250 I need to start restoring too!!
  19. oldnslo Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 husky Mag
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ktm, Honda, Suzuki, Kawasaki, Yamaha
    That is how my 74 Mag air cleaner is. Has a semi circle cut out to clear frame...