701 SM questions

Discussion in 'Super Moto' started by MotAd, Jun 10, 2018.

1. MotAd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM701
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Triumph Daytona 675
    Hey guys. Been a while since I posted up here. Our daughter arrived 9.5 months ago and has seriously damaged my riding time lol.

Anyway I’ve currently got a 2008 610SM and a 2013 TE310R sitting unused so considering PXing them on a new 701SM but have a few questions so I know what I’m letting myself in for...

1. 2017 or 2018 model, what’s better?
    2. Does it need a full system and power commander to bring it to life?
    3. Any other must-do mods?
    4. Would love to take it touring to the mountains. What are they like on long distances?

Cheers
    Ad
  2. MotAd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM701
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Triumph Daytona 675
    Ok so think I’ve discovered there’s no difference between the 2017 or 2018 models. So scratch question 1!
  3. Jabba 2013 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Hello Mot Ad
    I have an 18 701 Enduro with 1000 miles
    I still have have a 2013 Te 310 with almost 10K on the odometer - that still has valves in spec 70/30 road/ off road and followed all of ZipTys recommendations posted on this site and several phone calls which i believe have lead to the longevity of the last Italian Husky.
    So,
    Small differences in the 17 vs 18 handlebar mount / seat ( which i do find comfortable at 6'1 175lbs with 34" inseam.
    The bike is quick and plenty of torque stock. Only thing i changed is the can to an Euro Wings with short baffle (no re map required)
    I also purchased a Coober ECM, but am waiting for another 1000 miles to install, but really could foresee riding the bike just as stock, as it really does move and is tuned pretty well.
    The Enduro is tall, but the SM i rode felt much lower - from stretching to get my heal down to SM heal down with knee flexed.
    The bike handles amazing and are extremely forgiving and confidence expiring.
    Brakes - Good - better on SM
    Can - Upgrade -too quiet
    Ergonomics - comfortable to perfect for my build
    Rear Turn Signals - flimsy
    Oil Change - Easy with kit - (2) filters (2) Screens and gaskets about 1/2 hour - I will change earlier than recommended now after the 620 mile break in
    Stock Tires surprisingly Great grip
    I have rode for about four ours straight of primarily twisty back country roads / rural Highways / Hills
    I live in Cincinnati so the Ohio / Kentucky Valley has plenty of exciting scenic rides.
    From New only (2) minor issues. The bike came new from the factory with a small cut in the oil filter gasket ( brake side) which sprayed a mist of oil over the engine cover over time ( seems first oil change has corrected. Shift side rear turn signal.
    It is a really fun bike. I plan on adding a wind screen - longer rides I feel in neck the next day
    MotAd likes this.
  4. MotAd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM701
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Triumph Daytona 675
    Thanks for the post Jabba! Was beginning to feel ignored!

That’s all great to know. I am so in love with the idea of owning one of these bikes it’s doing my head in! I spoke to a dealer today and they recommended an air box kit and slip on exhaust. Then a reflash on the ecu to get it running 100%. So sounds like I need to budget to spend another £5-600 if I get the bike.

Think I’ll see if I can sell my 610 and 310R and see how much it leaves me short. Thanks again for info
  5. Jabba 2013 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    I really think you will like the bike stock. The Wings pipe with smaller baffle will work fine without a remap. Actually my dealer said there is no way they can remap the bike. I have not rode a 610, but this was quite the jump from the 310. It really moves, torque power
    Check out Wings web site
    MotAd likes this.
  6. MotAd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM701
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 Triumph Daytona 675
    Think I’ll get a test ride booked in and go from there. That way I can see if it’s enough a step up from my 610 and worth all the extra ££££s. Cheers Jabba