1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Austria - About 2014 & Newer
    FE = 4st Enduro & FC = 4st Cross

FE/FC 701 enduro's real DS capabilities

Discussion in '4st' started by ghte, Sep 2, 2017.

1. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    I seek your learned comments on the practicalities of a 701 as a DS bike.
    I currently ride a 2016 SWM RS650R (read TE630). It is an excellent DS bike.
    However, my riding mates are on big Tenere's, BMW1200GS and Africa Twins. On the dirt and jeep tracks I have them covered. Most weeks we do 300-400km days. This is a typical mix of 30% dirt road, 30% jeep tracks and 40% connecting slab. I find the little SWM is working hard on the slab at the usual pace of 120-130kms. It can hold those numbers but I feel it is working too hard.
    In your view is the 701 comfortably up to the task as described above or would it too be pushed a tad hard.
    I would also like to get a rough assessment of fuel range (I acknowledge that we all wrist differently, however a ball park view is good. Any other tid bits such as real world issues and oil change frequencies would be of real value.

Cheers and thank you.
  2. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi 701 Enduro guys, could some of you kindly share your thoughts re the above information/views sought.

Many thanks.
  3. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE250i & 701 Enduro, 501 & 630 sold
    Hi Glenn,

The 701's engine is far more powerful & aggressive than the 630's. It maintains speeds above 100kmh far more easily & will cruise at 130kmh all day. Unlike the lazy, loping engine of the 630, the harder you rev it the better it goes & feels - incredible acceleration for a single & blows the 630 away. I have a mate who has an 800 GS & 701 accelerates noticeably harder.

But it's not a comfortable bike for droning along an expressway. It'll do it easily, but can be hard work on the rider as it feels somewhat hard & revvy. Far better to find the winding side roads & enjoy it SM style, then it's an absolute blast.

Range from 13 liter tank is around 280kms with light to medium riding, less when you're up it. Far better economy than my 630 ever achieved.

Service is easy - 10,000km, although I get mine done every rear tyre change, ~3,000km. Mechanically it's been perfect except for the clutch lost function - leaked fluid into motor, fixed under warranty & no subsequent problems. Build quality is high, none of the quirks of the Italian built Husky.

It's a far more engaging bike than the 630 due to its sheer hp/acceration & how quickly it spins up. But probably not as good an all rounder as its gearing is inferior - too narrow a box so a little too tall off road & a little short on. Not as relaxing on the road either, as the 630 has that relaxed feel due to less revvy motor & taller gearing in top.

I have no regrets about trading from the 630 to 701, but note I did also then buy a 501 as the 701 wasn't doing it for me in tight off road.

Please note above comments are about a 2016 701 - 2017 model has the Duke motor, which has increased HP (67 to 70) and a second balancing shaft, so is reportedly as smooth as a twin. Take one of those for a test ride - I expect you'd love it!

Attached Files:

DeLewis likes this.
  4. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hi Russ; didn't know you went to a 701. I know your comments above are based on hard facts, so thanks for the effort and great description.
    loving retirement and living down in Bright. I ride with some mates on Wednesdays on our DS and again on Sunday on our road bikes and some times Fridays. I usually take my Beta for a ride on Saturdays. So life is full of riding in one of Australia's best riding locations. I do miss my mates and Sydney (a little bit) however.
    Cheers Russ and ride safe Mate.

Glenn.
  5. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    PS so when are you coming down for a ride Russ. We have plenty of room.
  6. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Ahh, you're killing me - I'm lucky to get out for a decent ride once a month! I own & run a busy professional practice, plus have three teenage girls, so not enough "me" time I'm afraid. But my time will come & I may well take you up on your kind offer one day. I've heard that area is riding heaven.

Re the 701, I think an experienced enthusiast such as yourself would really enjoy & appreaciate it. It's a work of art & a generation & class ahead of the 630 in terms of build quality & performance, gearbox ratios aside. It's even better if you ride aggressively - the harder you ride the more rewarding it is.

Here's a shot of it with its baby brother 501, which at 58hp & 113kgs also goes like stink:
    IMG_6464.JPG
    dmw_az likes this.
  7. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Oh dear two beauties and no one to ride them, such a pity Russ. Love my Beta 480 by the way, so flickable and light
  8. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    It's not that bad & just having them in my garage gives me pleasure & lowers the blood pressure.

I've heard nothing but good things about the Betas - here's the 701 with a 430 on its maiden run a few months back, beautiful looking machine:
    IMG_6407.JPG
  9. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Looks like the back of Clarence to me Russ. Great couple of beasts there.
  10. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    PS again, sorry, where did your mate get the rear rack and supports from please Russ.
  11. Russ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Rack from Cameron from 01 Moto in Monavale - 02 9979 1195

Pic is actually that little lookout above Wisemans/Hawkesbury - was just an easy shakedown first run for the Beta out through Mountain Lagoon & Patterson Fire Trail. Very nice bike, although looked a little physically small for my 6'3"!