630 erratic running

Discussion in '610/630' started by WickedWill, Mar 15, 2013.

1. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    Any of you blokes have probs with the fuel injection electrics?I've logged 8 tps faults a month and 600 km after a new throttle body and tps was fitted.It ran fine but the warning light started flashing after i fitted a safari tank.Thought that might of been caused by having the key on with no fuel pump connected when i was testing my new accessories power supply .Got the codes cleared and now the thing is hard to start,backfires, cuts when you pull the clutch ,jerks and surges if you move throttle a couple of mil.Don't know what they did when they cleared the code.

Cheers
  2. maxyb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, classica 105
    Other Motorcycles:
    CB350, CD90z
    do you have a multimeter (and the know-how haha) to test the TPS? - (easier with a scope, obviously)
    after all, it is just a variable resistor and fairly easy to see if it's faulty.

could water have got into it, by pressure cleaning etc?
  3. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    It's back in the shop.
    Haven't washed it since the throttle body/tps was replaced.
    Could a bike go through 2 throttle bodies in 600 km,does sound like something else is causing it.
    The crazy thing was it ran fine until they cleared the codes.
    Ditch the efi and chuck on a carb maybe.
  4. maxyb Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630, classica 105
    Other Motorcycles:
    CB350, CD90z
    was the TPS tested and found faulty?
    it's unlikely that any EFI'd motor should go through 1, let alone 2 TPSs in such a short amount of time.
    weird things can cause problems that relate to another part.
    If it were mine, i'd be checking the wiring going to/from most of the sensors to check that they have ample wire length (not putting strain on connectors etc) maybe when you put the safari tank some wires got unintentionally redirected/caught

Bit hard diagnosing over the internet...
  5. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    The tps got sent back to italy,so they say, to be pulled apart.Least the wiring on these bikes is very simplistic without any birdsnest.When i get it back i will strip down again.
  6. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    SuperTenere-GL1800-CBR900RR-KLX250S
    The act of clearing the codes w/ iBeat should not change how the bike runs (obviously). I wonder if there is a short in the harness near the diagnostic port that was disturbed in clearing codes? When my bike had 16 codes for fuel injector it was a short in the injector harness.

7. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    I does sound like this could be the case. When i had the bike stripped down i did,not thoroughly ,go over the wiring one.I will need to investigate further.
  8. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    Bit of a update.The tps has gone again.Once again water has got in and shorted the tps.The seal on the plug had a small nick in it.Looks like all the rain i've been riding in has found its way in.The plug faces upwards and water can get in and short the tps. Husky won't cover it under warranty as the dealer had already replaced the throttle body/tps and should of picked up the nick in the seal.The good news is the dealer has stepped up to the plate and will cover the repairs.They also stated that water will be less likely to get into that area with the addition of the safari tank.Hopefully this will be the end of the issues i've had with this bike and can ride without fear of it dying again.Luckily i'm a stubborn bugger ,the amount of people that have told it's a lemon just sell it i couldn't count.
  9. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Is the dealer replacing the throttle body/tps?

Hang in there, the 630 is worth it.

10. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    Yes this will be the second replacement throttle body/tps supplied by the dealer.It's a shame they don't sell the tps separately.
  11. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    The tps/map sensor had corroded pins after a month of riding.The pins were cleaned up but the damage had been done.
    Another throttle body and tps fitted.It runs like dream again.It looks like husky got mikuni to build the the setup with the map sensor and tps as one unit.If it dies again,highly unlikely, a stand alone map sensor with a bit of custom manifold work will be added and then a generic tps can be used.
    Its a keeper.
    maxyb likes this.
  12. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    Well looks like the problem hasn't been totally eradicated.It has faulted again and a small amount of moisture,i ride in the rain, was found in the plug again.This time i got a mate who works in the marine industry to have a look at it.
    The seal is nicked but he did say that doesn't look like the cause.He noticed the seal was not seating.He also reckons that once corrosion got in the plug,from the first time, the damage was done.So the tps pins are fine but the plug isn't.He did suggest hard wiring the tps pins and sealing them up and adding a deutsch plug.The dealers have agreed this would be a better solution.For now they are going to get me another plug,heaps of spare looms due to a 510 issue of looms wearing through,and solder that on.
    My wife has told to sell it and get a dr:eek:
    Fingers crossed that's the end of this problem.
  13. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    More disappointing news.The loom looks like it needs replacing as well.The loom was tested and came up ok,but wires are starting to blacken .A new plug was fitted but,the map sensor has died again.Got a week to get it sorted .Big desert ride coming up,which i brought the bike for.
  14. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    Bit hard to see from a phone pic the corrosion on the wires,the orange and black wires you can make out.In the flesh you can't miss it.Up at the ecu a bit of the sheath was picked off about 1 inch back from the plug and it is clear too see there.The wiring looks like a old wire that's been left out in the weather for some time.

[IMG]

[IMG]
  15. DYNOBOB Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Well that's something new for us to be aware of. Shouldn't see that on a 2011 vehicle. Was it dropped riding in the ocean? :)

Did you miss your desert ride?

16. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    No got out to the desert on a little ttr250.
    It was a great little bike in the sand.
    Check out the vid a mate put together and you can see how well it went.
    Hope to get the 630 out there one day

[IMG]

17. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    Finally got the 630 back.It has a new sub loom. The new workshop manager kept suggesting i sell it.He seen how bad the loom was.So i asked him what he thought would be a good bike for me. Crf450 with a 490 kit was his suggestion.Not sure about long distance riding on a crf.For now i will perservere with sorting out the 630.I have a bazzaz to fit and sort out the fuelling.Also got a new generation Kush sprocket to try.
    DYNOBOB likes this.
  18. jtemple Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Kawasaki ZX-14R
    Best of luck!
  19. WickedWill Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    some little red ones
    Thanks
  20. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Hope you get it figured out. I have been following the Cush sprocket story and hadn't heard the new generation was out. Let us know how it works for you:thumbsup: