630 Connecting Rod Bearing Failure

Discussion in '610/630' started by Jason Lainesse, Mar 24, 2016.

1. Sooter Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS 630
    I am presently hearing a light knock noise that seems to be coming from the left side. It does not sound bad at idle--only within the first 3000 rpm of acceleration. It is not a loud knock; rather, a subtle "click" like knock or rattle that almost sounds like the front sprocket moving with chain. Bike has 19 000 km and still runs very strong, gets impressive fuel economy and doesn't disappoint. My next oil change is not for another 3000 km; however, if the noise gets worse I will have no choice but to drain the oil and inspect drain plug magnet.

For the time being, is there any other way I can positively identify a worn engine component just by riding it? Let me know, thanks.
  2. Timberline Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Maybe record it with your cell phone, post it to YouTube and give us the link here? I had a noise that worried me, but found someone who'd posted a video making the exact same sound and the consensus was "that's normal".
  3. Raaron12 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 sm610
    When was the last time the valves were adjusted or the cam chain tension checked? From your description to me it sounds like the cam chain is stretched and hitting the reed valve or the valves are out of adjustment and making more noise than they should.
  4. Sooter Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS 630
    Yeah it's definitely not a noise that is easily identified. Does not make any noises when it's idling only upon the first 3000rpms of acceleration. It's probably a loose component or bolt on the frame...but if I do an oil change and discover considerable metal shavings I will have something to worry about.

I will try to record it but for now I'll do the same and consider it normal. Bike runs awesome.

Raaron, I checked the valves when I first bought the bike at 12500 kms and they were spot on. It now has 19000, I was thinking to check the valves as well. Will do so next week as a precaution.
  5. Raaron12 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 sm610
    So I went and checked the manual and it says the timing chain and associated parts should be replaced at 20000km which you are very close too. It also says valves should be checked and adjusted if necessary every 5k miles and it looks like you are at about 7k since your last inspection/adjustment.
  6. Sooter Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS 630
    Can anyone here send me a link or provide I formation on how to adjust the valves? I currently have the valve cover off but the shop manual is not very informative
  7. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
  8. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Wish it were that quick though.
  9. Sooter Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SMS 630
    Actually not very difficult at all...popping the clip and removing the shim is very straight forward. Basically a 25 minute job if you have all tools/parts available.