630 airbox mod

Discussion in '610/630' started by DYNOBOB, Feb 23, 2014.

1. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    Based on Dinobob’s idea I’ve made what you can see here. I've used an old aluminium license plate.

Measurements under request . I hope it helps to spread the dust all over the air filter, as everyone would like it :cheers:

SANY5369.JPG

SANY5370.JPG

SANY5373.JPG

SANY5372.JPG
  2. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
  3. kirbybikes Husqvarna
    AA Class

I used some rubber edge trim running the full length of the airbox lid on top of the little plastic fins. My theory being it makes the fins a little fatter and running full length the fins do not push into the foam. Seems to work really well. Cheap and easy.
    SimpleOne and Spice Weasel like this.
  4. Spice Weasel Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08 SM610
    I took my filter out for inspection and found some of the fins had started cutting the foam, i wasnt impressed. I had some pipe thats used for the washer jets on cars and cut it down one side and glued it on the fins like you have with the trim. It was just to stop them cutting the foam, but i found it also let more air over the filter aswell, bonus.
  5. Huskyvarna Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna TE 630 2010

This is by far the best solution i have seen. I dont know your riding style, but do you ride it hard?
    What i wonder is sometimes you ride with legs loser and sometimes you squeeze the bike with your "knees" depending on situations... Do you feel it when holding your bike with knees? if you know what i mean :)
    Rotax_655 likes this.
  6. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Busted RS: you went all out- nice. I'm trying a simple thing, but should improve surface exposure a bit. Binder clips (with the fold back handles removed, of course.) Just dawned on me that it's a quick way to make a broader contact patch on the foam and air flows by/through them as they're triangular. I didn't use a bunch- ended up going with about 5 spread out. And I agree- the glove in the background looks weird. :) It's my filter oil glove on a bike seat.

IMG_3758.JPG FullSizeRender.jpg
  7. Kia-ora Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none yet Soon to purchase a SWM
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW r100gspd, Benelli 250 supersport
    Thats sorta kinda what I did except I just used a length of light aluminium 90 degree angle stock that I had laying around in the shed and just cut to length drilled and cable tied it to the pedestal bits where you have the binder clips. If ya get what I mean. will put pics up next time I take the cover off.
  8. Kia-ora Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none yet Soon to purchase a SWM
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW r100gspd, Benelli 250 supersport
    Pics as promised. I bent up a and cable tied a u piece by the intake to direct flow, then cable tied the 90degree aluminium on. I may drill some holes in both pieces for better flow and less weight one day.

The pic of the dirty air filter is after 2 dusty rides. Prior to that the only dirty part was the part by the intake, and the rest was as clean as a clean thing, so this mod definitely spreads the air around a fair bit.

013.JPG 015.JPG 014.JPG
    EricV likes this.
  9. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Nice job. Looking forward to seeing how mine has affected flow.
  10. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    Five months later... As you can see, the device works. The dust is spread all around the air filter :thumbsup:

IMG_3219.JPG
    Rotax_655 likes this.
  11. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    Here is my solution to the problem with a thin sheet of stainless steel 20170805_153028.jpg 20170805_153039.jpg 20170805_153052.jpg 20170805_162126.jpg
  12. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
  13. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    Yesterday I also cut a piece of filter to get the oil vapors coming from the engine better.
    Without this cut vent pipe my be blocked by the filter sponge 20170806_153457.jpg 20170806_153507.jpg
  14. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    I think it's time to clean the filter :cool:

IMG_3406.JPG
    SimpleOne, DYNOBOB and Rotax_655 like this.
  15. Rotax_655 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    ex TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia Pegaso 650 GA
    the change you made worked well.
    now the filter is dirty evenly
  16. mg94 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT600
    Interesting change they made to the airbox, the snorkel and the fins aren't there on my 610 and I think the same goes for the later models. I wonder if lowering those fins would be a good idea to improve and even the airoflow?
  17. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    Hi
    What do you mean by "lowering those fins"?
  18. mg94 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT600
    I mean cutting them so that they don't hamper airflow, if they even do that. You know for power and whatnot
  19. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    If I’m understanding you correctly you may be misunderstanding the design of the box/cover (and fins.) The fins are “stand-offs”- i.e. designed to hold/push back a large surface area of the foam, so that it gets air flow over the whole surface area, from the snorkel. The problem is, though, that the fins are thin, digging too steeply/deeply into the foam and allowing it to billow around them too broadly, thus coming too close to the surface of the air of cover. That, in turn, doesn’t allow airflow throughout the box and over a large surface area of the foam.

So this is why we try wider stand-offs. It allows more air to flow. Shorter thin fins will only make the original issue worse.
    mg94, motranqui and Rotax_655 like this.
  20. mg94 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610S
    Other Motorcycles:
    XT600
    I see now, thank you for the explanation. So I guess this is one of the reason some folks cut holes in their airbox cover? Just asking out of curiosity, the 610 airbox design and flow is pretty different!