630 - Air Enricher Jammed

Discussion in '610/630' started by HuskyBrutha, Oct 9, 2021.

1. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    The air enricher / cold start lever on my 630 is jammed.
    I cannot pull the enricher lever on the clutch slave cylinder.
    The jam appears to be in the enricher mechanism inside the throttle body assembly.:eek:

Anyone with experience on this issue ?:oldman:
    Anyone been inside that throttle body assembly who would like to share their experiences, gotchas and lessons learned before I venture in there and @#$% things up myself.:doh::banghead:
  2. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    The fuel enricher has been working smoothly for 11 years, now all of a sudden it is jammed solid, without first having gone through a sticky-stickier-stickierier-stickierest phase.

Do not bother approaching the throttle body from Air Box side for this problem as there is no access to the enricher at all from that side.

So I unscrewed the brass cable holder from the throttle body and with a slow strong pull I was able to ease the enricher plunger a few millimeters out of the throttle body, no more
    From there I could see some green-white gunge around on the inside of the plunger tube.
    The green-white gunge looked exactly like dried air filter oil to me. I use a greenish air filter oil.
    So somehow the engine had sucked air filter oil off the air filter which has passed through the throttle body - efi mechanism and some of it had found it's way into the fuel enricher tube and dried in there and gunged up the enricher punger in the plunger tube.
  3. HuskyBrutha Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM630
    Other Motorcycles:
    690 R, 500 EXC, XR250
    Ok, so the green - white gunge was a red herring and my last post was wrong with respect to the air filter oil :mad:.
    Turns out the whole mechanism from the black boot at the end of the enricher cable to the enricher barrel was caked with a thick brown paste of fuel rust.
    I assume the fuel rust built up over time and therefore I am going to add the fuel enricher mechanism to my 5000km maintenance schedule.

A good spray of Compression Stabilizer fluid ( I am sure carb cleaner would suffice here as well) dissolved the rust after a few minutes and I was able to free the jammed piston.