610 Valve Adjustment

Discussion in '610/630' started by BeefCurtain, Aug 27, 2011.

1. BeefCurtain Husqvarna
    C Class

2. Circus Husqvarna
    AA Class

1. Remove the tank. I have a 2008 with FI, so I don't drain the tank. I pull the plastic hoses and quickly plug the gas outlets with vacuum plugs.
    2. You can remove the radiators or simply pull them back and hold them back with zip ties or bungie cord.
    3. Pull off the various bits that get in the way, breather lines, etc. -- remove the small valve window covers.
    4. Remove the spark plug -- put a long straw into the cylinder through the spark plug hole. Do NOT use a piece of wood or anything else brittle. It can break off in the cylinder and then you are looking at tearing the bike down. I have seen this happen twice on the Supermotojunkie forum.
    5. You should have the bike on a rear stand, and in 6th gear.
    6. Finding TDC -- looking at the straw, rotate the rear wheel until the intake and exhaust valves are in the up (closed) position, and the straw is at its highest point. Some people will do something to lock the rear wheel in place so that it does not accidentally rotate.
    7. Place your Motion Pro feeler gage (0.002 inch) as shown in the photo. The 0.002 should be a little snug. If the 0.003 side can pass then the valves are too loose.
    8. To adjust the valves, loosen the lock nut (in the photo, the lock nut is the one locking down the screw with the slot). Using a flat tipped screw driver, and leaving the 0.002 feeler gage in place, tighten the adjuster. You will not need to turn the adjuster very far. I don't know the pitch, but let's assume it is 1mm. So to get 0.001, you would rotate 9 degrees.
    9. Holding the adjuster screw with the screwriver, tighten the lock nut. The tightening process, unfortunately, can change the clearance, so check the clearance again with the feeler gage. You may have to loosen and readjust, and iterate a few times to get it right.
    [IMG]
    BrandonR and nickterc like this.
  3. BeefCurtain Husqvarna
    C Class

Nice! Thanks :cheers:
  4. ghedunk Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM610ie
    Other Motorcycles:
    R100rt, R100rs,Tuono,zg1400, Tuonov4
    Good guide for him. But tell me thats not black silicone gasket sealer thats in your motor.