610 Problems

Discussion in '610/630' started by brisendines, Apr 19, 2009.

1. brisendines Husqvarna
    A Class

Hey guys- picked up my brand new 08 SM610 about a month ago, and it currently has 632 miles on it. I changed the oil for the 5th time today, and I'm still getting shiny oil. I'm starting to get very nervous about this. I broke it in easy, but now, it should technically be "broken in." What do you guys think?
    Another thing, my rear shock blew up the first time I did any jumps, and I was told that the shock would be covered under the warranty, but that they would replace the entire thing rather than rebuild it, and the new shock was on backorder. I ride my bike every day 20 miles each way to work, and I'm really bummed that my brand new bike is out of commission. Would I be ok to ride it with a leaky shock, or would it damage something? And if they are going to just replace it, does it matter? I took the exhaust heat shield off to try and reduce engine temps, and was thinking that maybe I cooked the reservoir, but the heat shield doesn't protect it at all. I put it back on anyhow. What are you guys' experiences with getting parts and occurrences of breakage?
    Here are some pics of the shock.
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. mtne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE610 + 08'TE610 sumo'd
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950SE
    What do you mean by "shiny oil" and why is it something to be nervous about?
  3. brisendines Husqvarna
    A Class

Metal in the oil...
  4. mtne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE610 + 08'TE610 sumo'd
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950SE

So did you take any pictures? Is it flake like a bearing race? Chunky? Grit? Where at? Just in the oil? On the magnet drain plug? In the filter? Ya know... details............
  5. miketv Husqvarna
    A Class

Mine didn't stop giving a bit of metal until I had around 2500mi on the clock. It was evident on the drain plug magnet when I changed oil. I was told by a fellow intimate with Husqvarna that it was likely from the clutch and nothing to worry about. All of it cleared up by 3k mi and things are fine.
  6. brisendines Husqvarna
    A Class

Its more just particles. It was on the drain plug magnet, but in the sun you could see the oil shine. Looked like some of my wife's makeup.
    Good to hear that it will stop... I have noticed the clutch seems to be very tight. When I start it up in gear, it wants to jump forwards, and when I'm wheeling it around with the engine off in gear (I always leave it in gear when parked) it is really hard to move for a couple of feet- I was wondering if the clutch disks were rotating and finally getting some oil in them. Is there any oil I should specifically stay away from?
    Also, about the shock- I rode it into work today, figured the hell with it. Will I cause any permenant damage if I decide to just pay to have it repaired rather than wait on Husky?
  7. It's odd that your rear shock blew out so soon, IMO. Huskies come from the factory with stiff springs so unless you jumped so insane height or you're overweight, you probably have a faulty seal/bushing.

If running the traps with Husqvarna NA doesn't get you any results, you can always contact a suspension shop. But I'd start by making a case for VOR priority at the dealer. He should be advocating for you with Husqvarna NA.

[ EDIT: Duhhh....I never claimed to be a great reader. Sounds like Husqvarna NA is already on track to take care of you. ]

As for suspender shack recommendation, my suspension (f & r) are currently with Alan Stillwell (Franktown, CO) [ www.stillwellperformance.com ]

Pricey but you don't have to deal with shipping or trying to explain things over the phone. His shop is something to see, also.
  8. brisendines Husqvarna
    A Class

Well, I wasn't jumping very high or far, and I'm definitely not overweight, but I was flat landing it most of the time. Still, I don't think the shock should blow out.
    [IMG]
  9. Wow, your Husky looks like a Triumph Tiger in disguise....what's your compression set at?
  10. brisendines Husqvarna
    A Class

That was the first time at the track, so I just had it at the factory settings. I was actually pretty happy with how it was working other than the jumps... my preload is going to go up a tiny bit and obviously compression up...
  11. If all you're getting are fine particles, you're OK. I'm assuming you're doing an autopsy on your paper filter to confirm.

Car oil. Detergents are slippery....

No, provided you take it to a reputable shock shack.
  12. brisendines Husqvarna
    A Class

I haven't done an autopsy yet- plan on that being done next oil change. I've never been nervous enough to do that.
    I knew to avoid car oil, I had just heard that the KTM 690 is in fact very picky about oil, and it only takes the oil they specify. I always assumed that was just for the oil company to ensure your continued business, but apprarently on the KTM it really does require that oil.

I lost my place on the last bit- I meant to ask if any permenant damage would occur if I just rode it as is until they got the new shock in- Could they deny my claim?
  13. miketv Husqvarna
    A Class

It was suggested to me by George @ Uptite to use this particular oil: [IMG] I trust his recommendation as he's been in the Husky business for a long time. So far the results have been fine w/no problems using a standard paper filter and cleaning the stainless filters on the engine sides.
    I also had a bit of clutch drag when new and was able to get most of it adjusted out after I put a Barnett cable on. After the motor is really warm I still get a tiny bit of drag but suspect that will require opening the motor up and adjusting the internals on the clutch basket, nothing that I want to fool with as of now because the bike runs too dang good!
    Sorry to hear about your rear shock going kaput, seems unusual and hopefully you can get it repaired/warranted ASAP.

cheers,

Mike