610 clutch hub spring washers/clutch pack

Discussion in '610/630' started by Flynn, Apr 22, 2017.

1. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Hi, I replaced the gearbox input shaft on my 610 today which meant that I had to pull the clutch hub and whilst doing so it was a good time to look at the spring washers and clutch discs.

I have photographed each pair of springs to show a close up of the washers and was wondering if I could have opinions on them

[IMG]

[IMG]

[IMG]

Also I read another thread where Theo stated that the clutch pack thickness shouldn't be below 21.20mm, but mine showed 35mm!:eek:
    [IMG]
    Was this measurement supposed to be taken without the steel rings by any chance?
  2. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Washers look worn to me.
    I would put the clutch pack back and see if it a; sits in the basket correctly and B; if so go ahead and bolt it all back together and ride. P.S. make sure you soak the fibre disks in oil overnight before assembly
  3. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Thumperama likes this.
  4. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    My 610 is a 2001 with approximately (odometer drive broke off road) 27000kms on it and still going strong.

I have a full time job now so I am keen to keep the bike in top condition. The only problem is, where to source strengthened washers? I believe the bloke is South Africa is no longer fabricating them. Or do I need them at all!? These did 27000kms and I assume they are original, no sign of the clutch hub and primary gear being separated.

There is a second hand clutch hub on eBay for £50 so I figure I might just buy that and replace the washers in my old one in the long run but all of that fiddly multi faceted work is going to take a fair while.

What condition do the washers look like in these two

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUSKY-610...2469040?hash=item237982c6b0:g:W3YAAOSwa~BYWB9~

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HUSQVARNA...5d031d3df:g:q~8AAOSwWxNYryRf&autorefresh=true
  5. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    They both look pretty shot to me- they certainly should not be used without at least putting in a set of OEM washers (at a minimum- upgraded ones are still preferred.)

I think I understand what you're saying- if yours got you to 27K kms then you may feel good about going with OEM again. Two issues w/ that: First I don't know if you can buy just the OEM washers, or if you have to buy the whole assembly. Second it's a bit of a crap shoot- some OEM's hold up pretty well over time (as yours seem to have) but some go in 4,000-7,000 miles. It's been theorized that some batches may have been made with better materials but who really knows. Lots of factors go into this- what kind of use the bike gets (lots of street or dirt), how easy the rider goes on it, etc. etc.

Now if you meant that the ones in your basket now are good enough to use going forward (or even the ones in the links) then I'd have to strongly disagree...and anyone would. Once they get that thin the concern becomes them coming apart (and they will) and causing significant damage inside the case. You don't want that.

Snoop around on the advrider.com 610/630 thread- I think someone there found someone else making the upgraded ones now.
    motranqui likes this.
  6. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Right, upgraded washers are certainly choice no.1. I can hear a lot of rattling from my engine and since I replaced the cam chain when I got the bike I can only assume that the washers/springs are the cause of said rattling. I am hard on my bike, a lot of wheelie practices, off road, etc and if it isn't down with some issue then it gets ridden 7 days a week during the season.

I will check out the advrider thread, there was a guy called _luke_ on here from Slovenia who was making them but he last logged in October 2015 so I guess he isn't in the game anymore. It would have been really convenient as well.

It's always the way, I am never around when the thingy I need is popular!
  7. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Eric is 100% correct. The Flea Bay washers are shot. Look for new ones.
  8. motranqui Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE310 2010 & TE630 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha YZ 250 F
    -I think Flyn is not going to have problems to buy the OEM cup washers: I got them a few months ago in Spain easily
    -EOM cup washer thickness are only 1mm, so, IMO most of Flyn cup washer don't look so bad comparing to the EOM ones
    -And yes, there must have been different cup washers production quality...

SANY5076.jpg
    Rotax_655 likes this.
  9. EricV Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Thanks for posting the pics of the OEM stuff...don't think I've ever seen any and you're right, they are pretty thin from the start...which does mean some see minimal wear. Still, thinner is just that so not much room for wear going forward, especially across the center section up against the hub/plate. Anyway we're all on the same page that you really should swap them out, seeing as you've got it out and don't want to have to be thinking about it.