610 -- check your oil pump

Discussion in '610/630' started by Circus, Dec 24, 2014.

1. Circus Husqvarna
    AA Class

I recently had the right case off to work on the clutch. I noticed that the oil pump gerotor was scored on the outside, and the oil pump housing was also scored. To be clear there are two gerotors. The thinner pair shown here on the left go on the back side of the oil pump housing. The thicker pair shown here on the right go on the front side of the oil pump housing facing in the photo here. The gerotors are only about $15 each ($30 total) but the housing was around $70.

Read this thread on realigning the housing properly with the case to damaging the groove in the crank and break off one of the tangs: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=255593

I also show the parts list below. The oil pump housing is #2, the alignment pin is #6, and #7 is spacer that also has an alignment hole in it. You need to line up the hole in the spacer with the hole in the side case, and then line up the oil pump housing.
    [IMG][IMG]
    [IMG]
    Theo likes this.
  2. Stujam Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    09te610, 11te630
    Its a massive pain to put everything back together and align everything,
  3. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    The screen should have stopped the debris that caused that damage. No?
    Were you able to find out where the debris came from?
    Did you cut your oil filter apart to look at it or do you think it happened when there was a different filter in there?
    I hope you figure it out.:)

4. Circus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Something must have gotten through the filter. But no, I did not find any debris in there and the screen before the pump was clean.
  5. JonXX Administrator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    360CR 360WR SM610 TC450 TXC250 TC250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Hondas, Harleys, Yammys & a squid
    The only times I've seen a gerotor set torn up that bad (whether on a pump or a motor) was when they had ran without oil.

I hope you get it sorted.
  6. johnclearysm610 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2000 sm610
    Other Motorcycles:
    My mums Harley Davidson 883. Lol
    Mine was scored up pretty badly after a stator magnet came loose.
  7. Circus Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thinking that a random piece of metal had scored the oil pump, I replaced it with a new one. I then checked the new oil pump after 30 miles and found it scored up too. So obviously a more severe problem than a random piece of metal. Bike has 26,000 miles. It's now at the dealer. Needs a new crank, bearings, piston, etc. has not split the cases yet so who knows what damage all the metal did to the gears. The mechanic said the the oil looked very "glittery". The bike has been my daily ride for the past 6 years.

Can't be without a bike for that long so what else was I to do except buy a new 2015 BMW S1000R. Amazing bike. Even though not broken in, and I can't rev past 7000 rpm, the thing is a missile and pulls harder at 70 mph than the Husky at any speed. Well that's probably not totally fair but it pulls hard.
    CrankN likes this.
  8. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Dude, it was running before right? The dealer is just trying to get money out of you. Ride it until it breaks then scrap it. It's not worth spending thousands on.
  9. Thumperama Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg, Ducati, Triumph, Aprilia
    What lousy advice.....

The BMW sounds great. I've been looking at the new Aprilia Tuono Factory as well as the BMW. Tough choice.
    1 wheel peel likes this.
  10. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Please explain why it is "lousy advice"? It was running, the dealer says it needs x,y and z which will cost several thousand $. Logic dictates that you will still get some use out of it before it blows rather than spending thousands fixing it. You might as well run it into the ground and then scrap it.
  11. Thumperama Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE 630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Husaberg, Ducati, Triumph, Aprilia
    The dealer wasn't just trying to get money out of him, they were telling him what it would take to fix the problem. Instead he spent many more thousands on a very nice new BMW. He's happy, and now has the time to decide whether he wants to fix the Husky or sell it.
  12. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    I like that strategy. When my Hawk wasn't running right, I bought the TE. Now the TE has been giving me some grief, I'm eyeing up a Hypermotard. Any excuse for a new ride is a good one in my book.
    Thumperama likes this.
  13. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I just don't see the point in spending thousands to fix something that is still running. You'll get more value if you run it into the ground.