610 battery charging at idle but not at revs?

Discussion in '610/630' started by Flynn, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    I have a weird problem with the battery on my bike.

It lasts for about 10 days/just under 2 weeks but eventually runs out.

It seems that the more I open the throttle, the less the voltage at the battery.

At idle, 14.3 volts. I opened the throttle to about 3k and saw it go down to 8 volts.

I have pulled the stator plug and measured the stator pins to each other, they have roughly 20vac each which is nominal. Their voltage also increases significantly as the engine is revved.

But at the battery, different story.

It seems as though the reg/rec is bleeding off too much current as soon as the stator is putting out higher than idle voltage.

I have a new battery and that got depleted. I did have a problem with the earth point which was causing starting problems but I cleaned that all up and tightened it.

I have just today rechecked it's tightness.

The only signs that the battery was going flat was a weak neutral light and the fact that it wouldn't start at my off road play area, had to tow start (can't seem to bump a big single), rode the bike 10 miles home, measured voltage when I got home, 10.41 volts. So when the engine is working, it's not charging the battery, only at idle.

Before that there was no indication that it was faulty, started in the morning just fine, this has happened a few times now. How long would it take for a battery to go flat if it wasn't charging?

I am trying to figure out a timescale for how long it would be.
  2. rickcj7 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Sounds like you figured what the problem is.
  3. Flynn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    It was the plug on the starter relay which was working loose and not making a good connection. I want to wire the voltage regulator straight to the battery as a belt and braces approach.