510 SMR vs SXV 550

Discussion in 'Super Moto' started by Cruz313, Jul 27, 2015.

1. Cruz313 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia mx 125
    Hi guys,

I know I will most probably get a sightly biased answer here, but has anyone owned both the husky 510 smr and sxv 550 before....which bike did you prefer?

My heart was set on getting the sxv but, I seem to be keep reading horror stories about engine failure on them. The husky was my second choice...and the sensible side of me seems to be swaying more towards this bike....yeah its not a powerful as the sxv but seems to be more reliable and easier to work on.

The bike will literally be a weekend toy, I don't ever need it to commute so thought I would opt for a more race ready SM.

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks
  2. crashtd Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna SMR 511
    Run from the SXV. Run as fast as you can!

The 550's basically tear themselves apart. Aprilia should never have made that displacement, and they never should have made them street bikes.

That being said, while it lasts, the SXV will be a rocket ship that will ruin you for all other supermotos.

The Husky 510 is fun too. I guess.
    Blazes likes this.
  3. Mik-3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husvarna SM510R 2010
    I have sam issue, i want Aprilia sxv550, power, that is best sounding supermoto ever, it looks cool. But there is that durability issue, of course others say that will last same as Husky.
    I would say no, same goes those parts availability, maybe..In aprilia maybe little hard to get parts, but some day that will come in Husky
    In Husky i love that looks, shape etc, if would be epic to get some 660cc v-twin in Husky :)

I would some day buy sxv550, maybe, there is also one v-twin bike what i want next to Husky
  4. Cruz313 Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    Aprilia mx 125
    Thanks for the reply guys....points taken onboard.
    The sxv has always been my dream bike to own one day. But i see alot of people selling that, due to spending way too much cash on them for rebuilds, or they simply no longer have the time or patients to keep fixing it themselves.
    What is the 511 like in comparison to the sxv and 510
  5. Mik-3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husvarna SM510R 2010
    That 511 (is only 480cc) is more rev engine like 450cc about and that 510(is only 501cc) is more torgued engine, then it is better in street, this is my opinion
    Of course that 510 whit 530cc kit is way more better in street than 510, becouse that torgue is little more in mid range and low, that 510 need also more revs, but it kets those rev fast.

In this cast you should pick up that, which is more in the eye, in Husky 511 vs 510, also you should go and test drive those
  6. SteelCoyote Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 510 SMR
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CBR600RR 2006 CRF250R
    I rode both, loved the SXV, but went with the SMR510 as it's "more reliable" (except mine blew the hydro clutch after my first 8mi of riding)

The SXV was faster, the Husky seemed more nimble and felt lighter, the Ape was more stable at higher speeds and pulled harder in every gear.

It's kind of a toss-up, get whichever you prefer.
    Mik-3 likes this.
  7. Mik-3 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husvarna SM510R 2010
    Cool to know that, some day i will test also SXV, maybe buy direct that, becouse i want some day own like that bike, where in V-Twin, those sound soo epic
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I rode and SVX once and almost looped it on the street. That's all :)
  9. Darkside Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none left
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta, ktm, aprilia
    Yes. I had a brand new 07 SMR 510 for 2 months. Test rode an SVX 550 on a charity ride. Sold the SMR the next week. Yes, there are a lot of horror stories out there about the SXV especially the 07's. But don't listen to the rumours from people that have never had one. I've had mine for 8 years now, and 2 other friends that have been trouble free. Yes, they are high maintenance, but no more than a high performance dirt bike. Most street guys can't fathom changing the oil every 3 to 4 hundred miles. Yes, you have to drop the motor just to do the valves. But, these bikes have out for a while now and most of the quirks have been worked out and there are known fixes. For weekend blasting on the twisties and straight up hooliganism, there's no better bike on the planet.

Plus, the SXV's are just gorgeous. I gave up street riding a couple years ago. Now I just go into the garage and look at it. :)
    Mik-3 and Motosportz like this.
  10. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    I went from a modded te 511 in sm trim which was way way faster than my old sm450r. To an aprilia sxv 550 with ti exhaust, airbox mods and remap.

ZERO competition.

The pull you get in second or 3rd gear with any other supermoto you get in 4th, and 5th. It pulls so hard in 5th gear you hit the limiter around 108mph in a couple seconds. I am gearing mine up to keep the wheel down and be able to hit a more reasonable speed (115-120).

Same maintenance as those bikes too.

Then again i got another bike to cruise around on and eatup miles.
  11. bushwa Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE630
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda Hawk Gt
    I had a rxv 450. It was an animal. Loved it. Miss it. Sold it for a te630 on whick I sm'd. Wanted something more reliable and better in the street. A year later, and I'm doing a full rebuild on the Te due to a bad rod bearing. Get a cheap SXV and save for/plan on a rebuild from a reputable builder. The 450 wanted to loop in the first 3 years and would lift the front on throttle alone in 4th. It was uncorked with a full arrow exhaust. I'd imagine the 550 would change your life. Haha
    Motosportz and Mik-3 like this.
  12. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    I like your thinking.
  13. mtne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08' TE610 + 08'TE610 sumo'd
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 950SE
    I wanted a SVX....... still do. But as an average 5'10" it felt tiny when I sat on it........ I could adjust though.
  14. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress

Its much taller and wider than my husky 511 at the knees. Footpegs are about the same.
  15. huskylove Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1999 cr125 in progress
    It feels "big" to me.