510 Smr 2010, Injector Open Circuit Madness

Discussion in 'EFI/carb' started by briceferna, May 30, 2023.

1. briceferna Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    510 smr 2010
    Other Motorcycles:
    a lot !
    Hi everybody,

My name is Brice, I'm new here. I have a lot of bikes (old 2 strokes and enduro), including a 510 SMR from 2010, that I love !

Few weeks ago, after a top end rebuild (valve broken), I put the engine back in place in the frame, and it was running fine until ... No more power in the injector circuit ! The pump wasn't priming, so I removed the tank and started investigate.

First I checked the relay, directly on the 12v battery and it's working well. I also checked with the 2 other relays, still not working.
    From what I saw, there are 4 cables on the relay. The grey one is where the power comes from (from the fuse) and is getting 12V, the brown / white comes from the ignition switch and is getting 12V when switch ON, the green / red is where the 12V should got out from the relay and go to the power devices circuit (injector, O2 sensor, coil, fuel pump), and the yellow/green go the ECU, and should be to the ground to make the relay works (I think).
    The problem is that when ignition ON, the yellow/green is getting 12V too, instead of getting connected to the ground, and the relay ticks, I can't understand how ??

While checking the dashboard, there was the "FAIL" error, so I connected to iBeat and saw this famous error 2080 "injector open circuit".

So I checked all the wires, all the connectors, cleaned everything with electrical cleaner, checked for ground problems, etc, everything good and now I'm totally stuck...

I'm pretty sure le ECU is the problem, on the ECU connector, but I try to post here to have your advices and ideas !

I put some photos of the cables and everything.

Thanks by advance

[IMG]

[IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
    [IMG]
  2. clydemule Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2008 TE510 2012 TXC310
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM 890ADV-R Honda VFR1200F
    There is probably a bad connector or chafed wire. That seems most likely. Possibly bad injector. Motion pro has a doo-dad for injector cleaning that powers the injector open so you can clean it. I am sure you can rig up something similar to power and test it. The way it is mounted though it is a little tricky, which is a problem the motion pro tool solves.

If the relay turns in, but the pump doesn't, the pump is bad or the there is aloose/chafed wiring. The ECU doesn't "know" the fuel pump is actually running. It just fires the relay. Conversely, if the ECU doesn't want the fuel pump to turn on, it won't fire the relay. So the ECU isn't going "hey, I have a bad injector, I won't run the fuel pump" as evidenced by the fact that the relay IS turning on.

Fuel pump not turning on and the open injector failure are two different things, and the only commonality is that it sounds like major work was done to an old bike that disturbed the wiring on bikes known to have wiring issues over time.