1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

510 flattracker on EXIF

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Wildebeest90210, Sep 25, 2014.

1. Wildebeest90210 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husky cr, husqyman and DaveM like this.
  2. DaveM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 TE 570
    Other Motorcycles:
    Motorised Bicycle
    Very nice, but I would have liked to see twin Ohlin shocks.

Cheers, Dave.
  3. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Have just rid myself of a Husky 630SM ... and purchased this CCM 710 flattracker (not registered yet, but I´m fighting my way through the German TÜV red tape)

n P1010927.jpg
    BadMotoWeazal, DaveM and husqyman like this.
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    cant say im a fan..looks very mismatched
  5. grouty Auto Lover ...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    78 390WR, 78 390 AMX, 500 Humph
    Other Motorcycles:
    works 73 CCM 520, another 73 CCM520
    I agree. It looks a little out of proportion !
    Nice bike though.
  6. Wildebeest90210 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Just wish I had that engine for my next project. Any generous donors out there interested in sponsoring a 4T Husky motor for a Sugar Bear supermoto replica? Hmm, thought not, will stick with the Husaberg then..;)
  7. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    It may be a good bike but it isn't a flat tracker.
  8. DaveM Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2001 TE 570
    Other Motorcycles:
    Motorised Bicycle
    Hi Guys,

Bike looks great but it needs a vintage black with silver side panels WR or CR tank.

Cheers, Dave.
  9. suprize Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR 400, bike in a box Moto Villa 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    ktm 300
    Outrageous! I luv it.....and yes, old style colors would top it off nicely
  10. organ donor Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I know it´s not a flattracker (but the nearest think that´s road legel). And I can´t (won´t) change its looks as it´s a hand signed and numbered exclusive by the famous CLEWS. And I agree with the comments on its look ... but that´s what I like about it.
  11. husqyman Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1988 XC430, 1987 250WR.
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph Tiger 955i
    CCM have made and make some good bikes, Its good to see another make along side Husqvarna (to name a few) still going strong with a strong following.
  12. Xcuvator Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE450,610 WB165,WR250 WR360 & XC430
    Other Motorcycles:
    yes
    Street legal street trackers:

[IMG]

[IMG]
  13. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    The old bike shop near me, the orginal owner races dirt track with a 390 auto. I haven't seen him in 15 years.
  14. Bigbill Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '83 250wr
    Other Motorcycles:
    0 right now
    I built an 82 single shocker too. Using a swing arm from a later bike. My point is the twin shock frame did hold up so why all that steel in the single shock frame. It's over kill.
  15. wrx Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1973 to 1986 husky's various models
    Other Motorcycles:
    RM -250 / Buell / Penton 400 mc5
    Husky Reed valve 4 strokes dont last long as dirt trackers. everyone i've seen here on the east coast has blown up horribly. wrecking heads and breaking center cases. best left in the woods and on MX tracks.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  17. Wildebeest90210 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Not sure I know about a reed valve 4 stroke? Post a link or elaborate for me cheers.
    A pic following on from Xcuvator post. A Harley I did up with Buell stuff a few years ago. Made a perfectly good 1200 sportster overbraked and handling well but then underpowered. Sold it.

100_2738.JPG
    husqyman likes this.
  18. Skyrooster Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 WR250
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 YZ125
    I had a 1980 Yamaha 650 special that I wanted to do something like that to. I was in search of a Champion frame when a drunk old man decided to make a left turn and kill my 650 and nearly kill me. I've done some searching for a Harley XR1200x since then but still have reservations when it comes to street riding.
  19. Michel Dufayard Husqvarna
    Pro Class

File0003.jpg

File0004.jpg

File0005.jpg

Now you see the light about reeds and 4 st !
    Skyrooster likes this.
  20. Wildebeest90210 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thanks Michel. New to me! Found this English version to match your flow diagram. I just wish I could get my hands on one of these motors....

In 1984 Husqvarna shocked the dirt bike world by introducing a four-stroke design that was both simple, and reliable. Husky at that time was a leading manufacturer of two stroke motocross and enduro machinery, and the introduction of the four stroke TX/TE 510 Husky was unexpected, if anything.

Husqvarna designed the new 510cc four-stroke motor to be simple and light, with an ingenious oiling system that used vacuum produced in the crankcase to lubricate major engine components. Two reed valves in the cam case, that held a pint of motor oil, lubricated the entire motor.

Here’s how it worked: When the piston went up, vacuum was created in the crankcase, and a reed valve at the bottom of the cam case would open, and allow oil to be introduced into the needle roller bearing crankshaft and cylinder assembly.

When the piston came down, the resulting pressure would force the oil out of the crankcase, back into the cam case via a directional reed valve at the top of the cam case. The oil in the cam case also traveled up the cam chain, and lubricated the needle-bearing camshaft and related valve assembly. The air-cooled four stroke top end rested on a 400 Husky 2 stroke lower end, modified to accept this “unique” top-end and oiling system.

The design worked like a charm, and with the exception of running a little on the hot side, the bikes had anvil-like reliability. For some reason Husqvarna dropped this design after a couple years of production, and went the water-cooled route with standard oiling on their next big four-stroke, the 610.

By 1984 the Swedish built Husky was on its way out, soon to be purchased by Italian manufacturer Cagiva in 1987.

The design of the 510 was just a side note in the long illustrious history of Husqvarna design and innovation. Let’s hope under the hand of their new owners, Husky can recover some of that lost magic.
    oldbikedude and Skyrooster like this.