1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

46mm KYB forks on my WR430

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by Darrel78, Jun 20, 2016.

1. Darrel78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 WR430
    These conversations make me wonder the bikes that were "so so" performers simply because of poor suspension set up? Definitely need additional research on this.
  2. jimspac Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR, 82 430WR, 84 250WR, 85 400
    Other Motorcycles:
    86 400WR, 82 Montesa Cota 349
    I was not riding dirt when static sag and rider sag became awareness factor.
  3. everfree Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    86 430AE (2), 88 430AE, 87 430WR (2)
    Other Motorcycles:
    87 250 XC, 87 430 CR, '17 GG 300
    I would bet that most bikes are not setup properly for their riders. But if you ride a lot or race, you would have to get your bike dialed in.
    There must be a table out there of spring rates vs. rider weights. Some guidance would help pick the right spring rates would be nice.
  4. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    many times i bet you are right about that
  5. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    it likely depends on suspension design, i dont think you can just pick a spring stiffness based on rider weight.
    the 85/86 and 87/88 bikes are a good example. two different rear suspension designs and the same rider takes 2 different springs to have the same effect. front forks may be a bit easier..
    this is part of the reason suspension shops are still in business! when i sent my 95 suspension to drew at WER, somehow my sag was awfully close already, just how it arrived in the mail...;)
    Darrel78 likes this.
  6. Darrel78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 WR430
    I was curious about the difference in overall length of the two different fork setups so decided to measure tonight ( never occurred to me to do this before beginning this project). Turns out the KX forks are 1/4" (6mm) shorter than the original units however they seem to have more room wrt travel. This plays well into Justintendo's observation of sag measures being off. Seems the smart ones among us would do these measurements ahead of time! On another note I took the bike out this evening and rode over a trail that's very rough ( rough to the point of being difficult for an old fat guy to hang on). I was easily two gears higher now and marveled at how much better the ride is! Not really a fair comparison as we've already established my suspension was no where near set up properly but I'm sure loving the difference! Plus I'm still a sucker for the "wow" factor of the USD forks.
  7. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    will the kx forks bottom to point of putting the tire into the fender? this is also something to check as it can be very dangerous, since you say they are shorter but with more travel..you can remove springs and collapse forks to check.
    Bodger and Darrel78 like this.
  8. Darrel78 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 WR430
    Very good point, Justintendo! Yes, this we did check and we've easily 1/2" clearance when the forks reach the travel limit. This is less than with the original set up but also with a completely different tire. We're DOT legal front and rear now with trials type tires. The profile of these tires are much different than the knobbies before. Come to think of it that's yet another nod to suspension set up and handling.
    Bodger likes this.