449 smr won't start

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by monacopaul, May 14, 2017.

1. monacopaul Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    aprilia rsv mille -
    went out for a blast this morning having just changed the oil filter / oil .
    the bike was running better than ever (10,700kms on the clock)- met up with some friends for a bite and when i hopped on she was dead as a dodo. ran her up the road - slipped the clutch in 2nd which freed up something and got me started and home. but dead again . the fail symbol was on the screen. front light is dim - indicators not working at all. seems juiced out . Battery maybe ? appreciate any advice.
  2. ghte Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2 x 310's, 2016 Beta 480, SWM RS650
    Other Motorcycles:
    2016 Multi ,Griso1100, Monster695
    Most likely battery. Check that out first. If that is holding a charge I would check out the stator.
    monacopaul likes this.
  3. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    If the battery checks out ?
    I would lay the bike down on its right side and pull the left side cover. You may have got it running but your symptoms with all the lights dim, no indicators and the failure light ?
    I say this because you yourself said push starting "freed up something". as in it made a noise or something seemed to be mechanically stuck ?
    Sounds like you may have had the all too common "stator bolts sheared on the flywheel" failure. If this happens, all too often it will turn the stator coils windings into a rat nest.
    Hope not but you better check. There are all too many threads related to this.
    monacopaul likes this.
  4. monacopaul Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    aprilia rsv mille -
    thanks for the heads up - think i will start with testing / and or replacing the battery and take it from there.
  5. monacopaul Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    aprilia rsv mille -
    had the battery replaced last week rode the bike home - no problem- earlier today i set off for a ride ( 4 days later and first chance i had to get out).- started perfectly - gassed up 5 minutes into my ride went to start the motor and NOTHING - the od lights up but there is nothing - no motor turning or sign of life from the motor. headlamp is on but when i tested the signals - nothing- 30 minutes of trying to bump start it and still nothing - THEN - one my push of the starter and she kicks back to life as if there had been no problem at all . Got home - started and stopped several times - no problem. Heat maybe ? time to cool down? new battery adjusting or some such ? bit of a mystery. wondered if you had any similar experiences or have any suggestions.
  6. jack topper Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1974 400WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    honda, yamaha, suzuki, Indian, Kawas
    I'm probably the least qualified person to offer a suggestion here, but does the 449 have a safety interlock that's tied to the neutral gear position or require the clutch be pulled in? If you are getting absolutely NOTHING - and then it suddenly works - that screams "open circuit" to me. Or maybe a bad ignition or kill switch (assuming it even has either one of those.)
  7. monacopaul Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    aprilia rsv mille -
    hey thanks for the reply and the suggestion - appreciate it very much - gonna see over the next couple of weeks how things pan out -