430SM

Discussion in 'Super Moto' started by husky jim, Sep 11, 2020.

1. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    14 WR300, 87 430wr, 86 430ae, Tr650
    Got busy over the summer turning one of my 430's into a super moto. I started with what I called my "Survivor". A pretty much stock and original 1987 430wr. I found it in Flint MI back in 2011, off a craigslist ad and had it shipped to me. I rode it a couple of times on short rides and ran good on the bottom but couldn't get it to run right on the top end. I got busy and set it aside until the pandemic hit and drug it out the basement. First goal was to get it running right. I got lucky right off the bat and found the two piece intake manifold leaking at the 2-bolt flange. Once I got it running right I didn't see any reason to do a full COSMETIC rebuild. So I'm leaving it SWEATY.

I modified all the parts to fit the bike, so I can always return it to original.

Updates Include:
    NOS 48mm Aprilia SXV Forks
    2012 Husky Triples
    NOS Alta Motors (electric) Warp 9 17"wheels,
    NOS Brembo 320mm Radial Front Brake
    Nissin Rear Disc Brake,
    Hydo clutch
    Mikuni TMX Carb.
    Oversized Pegs
    SMR front fender
    NOS Skid Plate, Pipe Protector, Radiator Guards
    Dynoport pipe
    Q Stealthy Silencer

IMG_1018.JPG

sm430 8.JPG

sm430 6.jpg
    Theo and justintendo like this.
  2. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
  3. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
  4. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
  5. Theo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    SM 610 I.E.
    Other Motorcycles:
    2001 YZ250
    The modern components that you have installed don't look amiss to me on that bike: it seems to me that they blend together right.
    Does it feel nimbler that the SXV? I geuss so... and does it feel more powerful? Also, is it one of those old school two strokes with an aggressive power delivery which feels like a turbocharger is engaged at a certain value of the RPMs? Or is it smoother?
  6. husky jim Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:

It feels more nimble than the sxv and lighter for sure. Power delivery is also different. Although I do believe the Sxv revs out higher and pulls good med thru high rpms. It has that old school hard hit and makes it a blast to ride!!

Working on shaving down the rear sub frame fender hoop for a cleaner look, adding tail light and the other street legal components.

rear2.jpg rear.jpg rear1.jpg