1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

4 speed clutch adjusment

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by dave400, Apr 13, 2017.

1. dave400 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 cross
    Other Motorcycles:
    '02 Kawasaki KDX 220r
    I put new clutch plates in my '70 400. It works ok but has a slight slip at high rpm. What is the proper tightening for the clutch springs? And cable adjustment too.
  2. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 Cross, 1983 500 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 Honda CR500R, 81 Honda CBX,
    The service manual does not give a specific setting for the clutch spring nuts. Simply tells you to adjust them evenly. :confused: Disconnect the cable from the release lever on the bottom of the transmission. Loosen the lock nut (14mm) in the center of the clutch hub and back the hex screw out slightly to make sure you have play in the clutch release rod (should have play at release arm under trans). Then I install the 8 spring tension nuts so they are even with the top of the studs. I then tighten the spring tension nuts down an additional 1 1/2 or 2 turns (if I remember correctly, when I installed new plates in my 400, I tried different adjustments, ended up at 1 1/2 or 2 turns below flush with top of studs). With cable disconnected, adjust hex screw at center of clutch while actuating arm under transmission, you need to have 10mm to 15mm play at lever under trans where cable attaches, then tighten locknut. You then adjust the clutch lever at the handlebar to have a slight play (Husqvarna states about 3/32 inch between lever and perch). After a good run in with some hard usage, recheck the play at the lever under the transmission, if it is at less than 10mm play, pull cover and re-adjust hex screw.
    You can download a copy of my manual here, see pages 159-160 and pages 108 step 19.

Sorry for writing a book, but the manual is a little unclear, just doesn't list the whole procedure in one section.

https://1drv.ms/b/s!Akhbhd3iqlMpgV173G0oBIOz9j5P
  3. Richard Colahan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    71 250 Cross, 74 125WR, 75 250WR
    Other Motorcycles:
    Vintage British bikes, 1969 Penton
    Adjusted my 250 Cross darn near exactly the same as Steve nicely explains.
    Seemed to work just fine, no slip, no drag.

btw...I also use Type F ATF in all 2 stroke trans/clutches and vintage brit bike primarys...have for 45 years...
    No slip, no drag, no wear...74 125WR still has original clutch and trans after over 10k hard race miles.
    SteveJ likes this.
  4. SteveJ Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 Cross, 1983 500 CR
    Other Motorcycles:
    84 Honda CR500R, 81 Honda CBX,
    Ditto on the Type F ATF.
  5. dave400 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1970 400 cross
    Other Motorcycles:
    '02 Kawasaki KDX 220r
    Thanks for the info Steve. Based on what you said, I do have the springs set about 2 turns below flush with the studs. Now I just need to check the release lever and cable adjustments.
    SteveJ likes this.