1. Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Sweden - About 1988 and older

250 CR clutch

Discussion in 'Vintage/Left Kickers' started by squid on a 300, May 10, 2023.

1. squid on a 300 Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    72 WR 250 79 CR 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    GAS GAS 300 Trials 2 KTMs 2 Hodakas
    79 250 CR. Clutch was like a light switch. Engaged and disengaged almost at the lever being all the way out. Not progressive couldn't slip it.

Today I replaced the fiber plates and drive plates (steel) I got from HVA. Pulled the actuator arm from the case and it looked ok ( very small wear mark that I could barely feel with my finger nail ).

Pressure plate has a slight wear groove.

Tightened pressure plate spring bolts to 10nm.

Set the actuator arm free play at 2mm, set the clutch lever free play at about the same also.
    Filled with Spectro 80w gear oil.

It's better but still engages and disengages way out on the lever (stock magura lever and perch) but better than before.
    Also does not clunk into gear anymore.

Springs? The ones in it look like they have gold or yellow paint on them?

Cable has very low hours on it.

Thoughts on what I may be missing?
  2. Vinskord Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    400 CR
    Check for ridges on the sides of the clutch basket where the plates contact. Also, check for flatness of the pressure plate - not the easiest to do, but since you have new drive plates that you know are not warped, mark one with a marker pen or machinist dye and rub it against the pressure plate.

The spring bolts torques to 10Nm vs 5Nm should not be of any consequence. If it does make a difference let us know.
  3. motomwo Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Many vintage big bore and automatics
    Also make sure the clutch cable is properly lubed and has no sharp bends in it and just for testing remove all the zip ties that are tying it down to the frame. With the cable now loose not tied down check the lever action again and see if is smoother and easier. If it is then you know where the problem is.

Your clutch springs a probably have yellow paint.