2018 Sherco 125SE Six Days

Discussion in 'Non-Husqvarna Motorcycles' started by Norman Foley, Mar 5, 2018.

1. Picklito Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    430, 430, 430, ,400, 175
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM250xc, KTM500mx, KTM440exc

That would be a bummer. I did a lot of shock rebuilds for the Italian Husky's and thought the shock was very high quality, with lots of tuning and performance potential.
  2. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

That's what has me thrown off..i picked up a 14 husky ktm 125..i thought you had to stroke it to make a 144..however when talking to the builder and m illenium who dis the work it is 4mm overbore making it a 144 with the same bore and stroke as the husky Italian 144.. seems weird as I thought you had to stroke and bore motor to do a 144...this seem right? Yours was bored and stroked correct? Thanks
    Norman Foley likes this.
  3. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 HusqvarnaTE610, 94 Husaberg FC501
    fletch the companies have various methods to the 144 madness, Italian Husky as we know was simply a bore job , just swap out the top end. TM for example use the stroke to get their 144 so it really is/was a different built up engine. dig up the spec sheets, its really interesting how they have various engineering methods
    fletchman45 likes this.
  4. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I get that but what seems weird was I was under the impression that up until 16 on a ktm based 125 you had to bore and stroke it to make a 144...so much that I d idnt agree with the guy I bought the bike from...then I talked to halls and to millennium and they said it was 4mm over and that makes it a 144 without stroking it hence the same bore and stroke as and Italian husky.. and the same stroke as and old ktm 125 but a different bore and stroke then and old ktm 150...i just thought the old motor you could not do that to...
    robertaccio likes this.
  5. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    without a lot of hours on these machines, but some track time and offroad, for me on the track I like the 144/150 but in the trail I love the 125.
  6. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Whys that?
  7. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    I suck on the track my reflexes are way to slow the extra mid is better and tracks overwhelm my senses. single track I can feel like a hero pinning the 125 and bouncing off shit like a madman. The 144/150 formula scares my too much on the tight stuff, because I want to still ride it like a 125. So fact is I stick with the 300cc mr. chug along!!
    Huskynoobee and LandofMotards like this.
  8. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I was always told that older KTM cylinder could not be reliably bored out for 144 big bore due to PV design. My '15 Husky TE125 converted to a 150, is a '14 KTM 150XC stock top end and crankshaft with a longer stroke.
  9. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Th ats what I thought and arqued with the guy it probably was not a 144...i then called m illenium out of wisconson and gave them the engraved number on the cylinder ...was 4mm over mild porting and had a piston number for 144...it actually uses a piston not listed for that motor...just sold the bike sunday...ran real strong! Seemed reliable at least the little bit of time I had on it...
  10. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm too tired to do the math, but a KTM 144 piston on a stock 125 crank, is probably a 135 or something and that's about as far as a stock old style KTM 125 can go... A new style big bore 150 KTM/Husky which is actually a 144, can only be bored to be a true 150, not a 165 like the old Cagiva Husky. It's all about that flapper style PV setup!
  11. husqhb Husqvarna
    AA Class

What was your final take on the Sherco Norm?
    Norman Foley likes this.
  12. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Sherco is an excellent enduro 125, with great low end torque. It's right up there with the old Italian Husky WR125. Handling, suspension and engine package are all great. I love the Italian Husky style seat, with Dzus fastener, which makes for easy airbox access compared to my Austrian Huskys '15 or '18.

What I don't like.... Brembo clutch master cylinder is too stiff at the lever, no back up kickstart, ridiculous OEM 140/80-18 FIM rear tire and Leonelli switch gear.

If it was a 150 from the Factory.... I would own one!
    robertaccio and gots_a_sol like this.
  13. robertaccio Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 Husqvarna TE300i
    Other Motorcycles:
    Funny that on a 125 they did not install the enduro standard E1 size 120/90-18 rear....maybe cost savings and all their bikes are 140/80-18 equipped for ease of manufacture and cost. the only one I know that uses the big balloon on the small bike is John on his mountain goat TC/TE125 extreme bike.
  14. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Not trying to jump thread...no norm 4mm over not a 144 piston.. ends up that 14 ktm motor has same bore and stroke as a Italian 144...trust me I already thought the 134 thing till I talked to millenium..the 144 old one is yes 2mm bigger piston..then you would have app a 134 or so but 4mm over gives u a 144..which I didn't even know you could do to that (its not a piston listed for that engine!) motor...thing ran pretty sweet ...sorry Sherco guys I love them anyone know the true dryweight of a sherco small bore and I don't mean advertised...
  15. LandofMotards Moderator

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TC250
    Fletch. The distributor weighed in at 209 with everything except fuel. Curious what the actual dry weight is of the te150. I sat on a beta 125rr on Saturday and it felt like it weighed a ton less than the 300 next to it. Granted it doesn't have estart but I expected it to be a little closer in weight. Felt about the same as the 150xcw next to it. Again, no estart though
  16. ajaxauto Husqvarna
    Pro Class

I still love my Zip Ty Racing TC 125 I have been racing the National Hare and Hounds this year and see no reason to make it a 150. Also just got the 2018 air box from Halls so I can install a bigger Battery and hook up my Ridgit Industries LED light I should get about 4 hours of light. But that will be enough to Race Last Dog Standing night race. Then for the Main event of LDS it will be back on the TE 300

PS the TC is still under 200 pounds