1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Austria - About 2014 & Newer
    FE = 4st Enduro & FC = 4st Cross

FE/FC 2017 FE 501 Fuel tank options

Discussion in '4st' started by iowhusky, Feb 14, 2017.

1. iowhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

I'm just about to order a 2017 FE 501 but am held back by lack of fuel tank options. I will be heading out to Morocco in about 5 weeks and need more fuel range if I go with this bike. I see a lot of people have used the acerbis 4.1 gallon tank on 14-16 FE's and like the look of this tank. I just can't seem to find any information regarding the 17MY and aftermarket tanks.
  2. Xriderdown Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    WR360 SW / WR360 IT / FE501 AU
    Other Motorcycles:
    BUL MK3,KAW KE100,CZ 988-1,YAM FZ1
    3.0 tank....like the fit-form-function. Would like to go bigger. But I'll have to see how many miles I can squeeze out of this.

IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0648.JPG
    IMG_0352.JPG

Attached Files:

reveille likes this.
  3. iowhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

It does look a good fit, retaining the original shrouds. Did you have it confirmed that the bigger tanks are not available for the 2017MY.
  4. Xriderdown Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I don't believe a larger tank is even available at this time.
  5. iowhusky Husqvarna
    AA Class

Thats what I thought and it's currently holding me back from buying the 17 FE 501. I notice that acerbis do list the 4.1 gallon tank for the 17 EXC 500. I'd much rather buy the husky though! I'm guessing the EXC tank would fit but not sure how well. Looking at pictures the plastics and shrouds are completely different between the EXC and the FE. I spoke to Acerbis UK and they weren't able to offer any advice.
  6. FFryno13 Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE501
    Do you have a ride report on your fuel range with the 3.0 gal. And were you able to use your old fuel fitting?
  7. nsrrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FJ09, Triumph Tiger Cub
    On my 17 FE 450 with the Ascerbis 3.1 I was getting around 50 to 60 MPG of fairly aggressive riding in Death Valley a couple of weeks ago. I felt pretty comfortable that I could go 150 miles but also carried a Liter of gas in an MSR bottle.

I was able to use the fittings provided by Ascerbis but had to cut the OEM fuel line and use a small hose clamp to adapt it. Incidentally, I just installed the 4.1 tank on a buddy's new KTM 500 and had to do the same thing on the fuel fitting. Ascerbis did a good job of packaging the larger tank on the bike but the shrouds no longer can be screwed to the OEM mounting on the radiator louvers--had to use some fabbed brackets to keep the shrouds.
  8. Xriderdown Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I purchase a factory KTM 90-degree adapter - part#77707988017. I wasn't that impressed with the setup Acerbis provided with the tank. Works perfect.
  9. nsrrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FJ09, Triumph Tiger Cub
    yeah, it seems Ascerbis provides a nice tank but everything else (fittings and instructions etc) are really marginal.
  10. NH-JP 2nd Fastest Old, Slow Guy!

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 TE300
    Other Motorcycles:
    1988 Honda Hurricane,
    I just received the new ims 3.6 for my 17 te300. Pretty sure they have it for the 4 strokes as well.
    Call Slavens to verify.
  11. SSPhoto Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 Husqvarna FE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2010 Husaberg FE390
    IMS is making a 4.5 gallon tank for the 2017 four-strokes, just got confirmation today. Uses brass inserts for mounting hardware. Waiting for photos to see how it fits with the side panels and whether it uses the stock shrouds or not.
  12. Willlyons Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    17 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    85 Yamaha TY350, 06 Montessa 4RT
    I talked to IMS today, the Husky tanks are in stock. Apparently the tank extends around the radiator to act as a shroud, but the plastics still go on the tank. I'm guessing for cosmetic reasons mostly. Also will require a 90° adapter.