2016 KTMs

Discussion in 'Newsroom' started by Motosportz, Nov 4, 2014.

1. fletchman45 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

2. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    I like the look but I've got to wonder why they went for a something that resembles an Italian husky?!
    Perhaps just a coincidence?
    ray_ray likes this.
  3. john01 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

fletchman It means I fell for the orange cool aid, took a drink, found out the pumpkins didn't suite my taste buds, and won't be sipping anymore :D. Oh... and several people smarter than me can say "I told you so". LOL some already have. Live an learn.
  4. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 CR144, 04 TC450, 04 TC250, CR50
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    really good info here on the two-strokes....and the fourstrokes....

http://motocrossactionmag.com/bike-tests/ktm-tests/theyre-here-first-look-at-the-2016-ktms

Man if they make a Husky version of the 150 I'm on that thing like a hobo on a ham sandwich!:thumbsup:

Say what you will about KTM yada yada, but their development makes old Husky development look stone-age, as well as all the other brands. Losing 4 lbs in a 125 motor is no easy task. Serious question, when was the last completely new 2-stroke powerplant from anyone else? The non-existent Ossa?
    ray_ray, Norman Foley and bigjon like this.
  5. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    While I mostly agree progress is not alway progress to everyone. I personally stay away from KTM based bikes because I don't like the geometry or suspension. The Italian husky, as you know, has one of the best robust motors ever. It can be modded to make way more HP over stock, not over heat, does not ruin clutches or gears and is largely bullet proof. It also had more simple but much easier to get to work right open chamber KYB forks. Add a MUCH better geometry (for me personally) and it is a clear winner in my book. I don't mind packing around 8 extra pounds if the bike works far better and is robust. KTMs are well developed there is no denying that. Light weight is good but hope it does not come with fragility like past models have. They still have forks the most need to spend $600 plus to make work right (maybe).

Beta, Sherco, TM.

I still feel Sherco and Beta are right on the heals of KTM just don't have a huge market share They do. But they do build very modern 2 strokes with great geometries and good stock suspension.

Dont get me wrong, I am amazed at the development KTM does and the bikes look great. They are selling like hotcakes and winning everywhere. They are doing it right for sure.
  6. troy deck Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    87 250wr 12 cr125
    Other Motorcycles:
    kx65 ty80 rm80 kdx250
    I'm on that thing like a hobo on a ham sandwich:lol::lol::lol::lol: thasfuni rite there
    Norman Foley and MotoMarc36 like this.
  7. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    Good points K. I share your opinion on past KTM handling, but honestly haven't gotten to ride one newer than '06 so my opinion is flawed, at best, on that. I hear the new '16 chassis is something to behold. And, clearly we all use our bikes differently and I think you and I couldn't use ours more differently. That being said, it is amazing we hold the same opinion of the awesome Italian smallbores! Of course, mine have closechamber KYB's, but they are the best stock forks I've had. Undefeated so far this season, 12 for 12 moto wins on my ripper so obviously I love it! My paddock mates, not so much! I'd love it even more if it lost 8 lbs.

I just think it is sweet that KTM isn't ignoring 2-stroke development, and it will certainly benefit Husky-branded bikes. I guess I kind of forget about the boutique brands, and while 2-strokes have held steady in offroad and can get away with a bit softer power package, KTM is head-and-shoulders above everyone in moto development.
    ray_ray, LandofMotards and Motosportz like this.
  8. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    Tell that to Tomac :D

- And really to me Yamaha is pushing the envelope design wise.
    Kam1 and 268fords like this.
  9. MotoMarc36 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    Many. Too many.
    Tomac is a bad, bad man! I'm a huge fan. However.....

[IMG]

[IMG]

Should be an awesome MX season! But, Tomac will be following the green, to green next year. Stamp it.
    bigjon likes this.
  10. Boogie Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Red head
    The latest Japanese 2 stroke development is the 2014 kx85
  11. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    All I see is the moto x stuff at that link.

Does the new 125/150 platform also have a 200 (was 193cc on a 60mm stroke). If the answer is no then losing 4 pounds doesn't seem impressive to me.

I am curious what the porting and power valve look like.
  12. Norman Foley Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Trumansburg, NY... The Beautiful, Finger Lakes
    Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    82 250WR 86 250WR 93 WXE350 03 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 Fantic 300 '12 HUSABERG TE250
    I'd think a 200 is coming, as it's said the cases have a provision for E-start. I'm guessing the PV's are similar to the 250/300, as the now have the same type of spring adjuster assembly. It's visible on lower right of cases, below water pump outlet. You remove that cover, to change PV springs and brass screw, is the preload adjuster. Much simpler than the PV adjustment on present 125/150/200. Goodbye Langston setting![IMG]
  13. pat ohara Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    yes , 2 WR's
    Other Motorcycles:
    Old Style Husaberg,
    I agree, Sherco is next on my list. Sad about Gas Gas what a great product. Italian Huskies still rule.
    Motosportz likes this.
  14. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
  15. fran...k. Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    420ae 98wr125 2004wr250 others
    Other Motorcycles:
    electric freeride 1993 yam gts
    I can see the power valve governor has changed. That doesn't really mean the porting has changed. I investigated the kx85 mentioned and it looks like the piston has the little chambers on the side I see in what they call stratified charge in the chainsaw forums. It is really just clean air scavenging best as I can tell. It would be kind of amusing if they had to "rent" both the name and some patents.

Following the off road link above The 200 gets a new frame. The triple clamp offset is increased and the offset of the axle is decreased on the whole lot that article is about. The front axle gets smaller in diameter and lighter which seems a reversal back to from 10 or so years ago.

Can you really walk in and buy a freeride two stroke? I am not sure I am real happy with their business model in that more than once I have been offered to be put on next years waiting list.
  16. Colo moto CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    7602racing.com
    I caught that too. Thought it was funny that the marketing was exactly the same going both directions. "larger diameter axle for better handling" - "smaller diameter axle for better handling" haha
  17. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    Kawi Air forks SUCKED I will not use an air fork
  18. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    not to knock new machinery, but i think alot of things are changed just to be changed.
    Kam1 and Colo moto like this.
  19. racemx904 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Beta 350RR & 1986 430XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    1975 Rokon and 2004 Kawasaki KX65
    Maybe on 4 strokes but just reheating the 2 strokes
  20. justintendo klotz super techniplate junkie

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    84 250,86 400,87 430,88 250,95 360
    Other Motorcycles:
    99 kawasaki zrx 1100
    for sure, the 4 strokes have had some great advancements in the past 20 years, but not a whole lot in the 2 stroke dept. especially compared to the years previous to 95...crap was majorly overhauled every 5 years all thru the 70s and 80s...i think they kinda figured it out by the time the 90s were over..