1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Austria - About 2014 & Newer
    FE = 4st Enduro & FC = 4st Cross

FE/FC 2016 FE350S vs FE501S?

Discussion in '4st' started by Husky-Nut, Jan 21, 2016.

1. XLEnduroMan Heroes Ride Huskys. The others follow.

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '18 Husqvarna 701 Enduro.
    Other Motorcycles:
    '20 Ducati Hypermotard 950.
    I think we all know the off road/non S models are the way to go if you can as the S ecu is neutered and locked. What I haven't found out yet is can a non S ecu be plugged in to a S bike so it can be flashed and tuned?
  2. cjVOR Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FE 350
    Other Motorcycles:
    FE 501s , Beta EVO 250
    Not sure why you think the S has a locked ECU. Mine is remapped and therefore no different than a non-S. The only pain was desmogging. I would have bought the non-S but got a smoking deal on a used S with a couple hours. No regrets here.
    Wendell Walker likes this.
  3. Husky-Nut Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR250, 2020 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    1931 Indian 101 Scout, 1936 Chief
    Some more questions if I may: :oldman:

Which is easier and less of a hassle?

"Uncork" a new S-model? What if my dealer can't or will not do it? Options? Expensive? (keeping in mind my original post of less tight snotty stuff, more Class-4 abandoned roads, easy trails)

Or buy a new non-S model and plate it? Assuming my state it is fairly easy to do...
  4. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    The easy solution in regards to the S model is to add a power commander 5 and desmog. This will cost you around 500 bucks. If you can plate a non s than go for it. The non s cost less and are already desmogged and ready to rock. In the end, you'd save around 1k by going non s.
    lankydoug likes this.
  5. Benduro Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '16 fe501s
    Other Motorcycles:
    KTM950sm, DR650, KLX400
    Before I even rode it, I desmogged.
    JD Tuner with only a little bit of fuel added.
    I'll reflash soon.
  6. Husky-Nut Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    1983 WR250, 2020 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    1931 Indian 101 Scout, 1936 Chief
    Hoping to FINALLY nail this deal down soon. :D

Question: How much different is the stock 2016 FE501/FE501s suspension vs the 2014 model year? :confused:
    Same, better, worse?
    Easier/harder to tune?
  7. Weantright Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2019 FX350 w/KYB Inserts
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 FE250 w/OC, 2016 XTrainer w/KYB
    Tune is the same,,,,, slightly more locked by dealer/KTM. Suspension is better
  8. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    The 4cs forks are claimed to be improved but will still need some love.
  9. Wadzy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE501
    Hi Timmy,

Great input and feedback. I've been looking at getting the 17 FE501, I'm 6'1 185 pounds. I'm guessing your not psychic but wondering based on what your amazing 16 FE501 has if you would mind weight in. What kind of changes in terms of my height would you recommend. I.e pegz, shifter longer, raising the bars etc.

This will be my first 501 and reading some reviews, some people have commented that the cockpit, especially the peg heigh feels cramped.

Anyways, I'm so excited about the new FE but I'm going to have to weight for two months in Canada before she arrives. Anyways, gives me some time to figure out the modification project at hand!
  10. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE 501 with lots of goodies.
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G450X, 15'FE501, 23 KTM 1290 SAR
    I wouldn't say it has a cramped cockpit. You are answering your own questions though already. Pegs you can get from any number of sources. If you want lower pegs that would be your own choice. Installing the BRP "rubber isolator" Submount for the bars, that mounts the "Scotts" steering stabilizer increases bar height by about 60mm I believe. "Hammerhead designs" makes longer folding shifter ends in several offsets. Or you can just get the whole billet shifter arm from Hammerhead with whatever offset pedal end that you want. I wear a size 12 boot. If I remember right, I went with the +15mm pedal. I prefer and wear a stitched welted sole boot. I won't wear a molded sole boot because I often use the edge of the boots sole to up shift.
  11. Wadzy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE501

Good info. What mm was the pedal on your FE 10mm? I'm pretty sure I'll upgrade this. I just purchased a pair of SIDI SRS Crossfire boots size 11 US. Love them.
  12. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I believe it was the +15mm but it may have been the +20mm. See my Quote above. I looked at the shifter tip and I can't see any lettering on it anymore to tell you what one it is.
  13. Cooksend Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2015 FE501
    This spring I picked up a 2015 FE501 and got it plated. My thought was that it was cheaper to put a Tusk Kit on the bike than it was to re-gear and desmog the S. This year I put about 2500 miles on the bike riding anything from Big Dual Sport rides, Sandy ATV Loops, Rocky Single Track and some nasty wet rock and mud stuff. Overall I love the bike! It's well balanced and doesn't feel so big when in motion. I have also ridden a friends KTM350 and much preffered the big motor! I can certainly say that if all I rode was tight singletrack and chose a 4 stroke it would be the 350. The power of the 500 will start to wear a guy down a bit.
    Just had the Euro Map installed and put a Trail Tech Map Switch on the bike and notice absolutely no difference. Not sure whats up with that.
    Two great bikes for sure. If you love the power choose the 501 and never look back!
    Big Timmy likes this.
  14. Big Timmy Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Other Motorcycles:
    I would have to agree with "Cooksend". I prefer the power of the bigger engine over the smaller power plant. One of my riding buddies "Cody" has a KTM 350 and although its under sprung for me. I have ridden it several times. But I feel like I have to work the engine harder wring it out more.

To me its just a bit less work to ride the 501 and it can be ridden a bit lazy if I want. However throttle application on the 501 should not be taken lightly, and if so it can certainly get the better of you if you aren't careful. If you push it, it can and will push right back.

Not getting complacent and paying attention will be learned on the 501 for sure. If I feel like it wears me down a bit, then I feel I got the better of it.

I'm sore for a few days after a good ride either way.

The weight differential is negligible taking on the 501 bigger engine.

I actually get better mileage on my 501 than my buddies 350 gets on the same trails, riding right alongside him.
    BILLF likes this.
  15. nsrrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha FJ09, Triumph Tiger Cub
    501 too hot......350 too cold.......450 just right, yummmmmmm :)
  16. Wadzy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE501
    I was also on the fence on which bike and started to look at the 450cc. In the end I'm getting the 500cc mostly due to the kind of riding I do and the fact I'd also like to do some trips, albeit small trips with her.
  17. nsrrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    I waffled between the three also.....i found the 350 (2016) to have plenty of beans for the trails but found the 500's simply a lot of fun because of the HP (but a bit of a beast in tight stuff and a little less agile)......going with the 450 as a compromise-middle of the road approach....and keep in mind the 17 450 is nearly as powerful as last years 500-501....was also considering vibe levels and the road-going ease of the bigger motors.....In the end I don't think anyone would lose with any of them...
    BILLF likes this.
  18. Wadzy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE501
    Ya I figured I'd go big and maybe just add the Rekluse to tame her a little and enjoy the intoxicating hp on tap. Not sure if the transmission is much different between the two for hwy's but I was thinking the 450 may ring out a little more. I realize they both are not designed for the hwy but I'll be asking the 501 to do some double duty for some camping in BC. Was thinking of jumping on BC Ferries and checking out some Island rides. Love the idea of being able to get to the front of the line and not having to waiting in Ferry line ups. Anyways I digress, your totally right. Either bike would be a blast to ride. I'm also hoping the re-design of the engines and frame works out. I hear some of the vibration is reduced but not sure how much of this is just marketing. We'll see. Can't wait to do a review! P.S do you have any pics of your beast?
  19. nsrrider Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE450
    Other Motorcycles:
    I'm hoping the bike is somewhere between Austria and Oregon.....dealer says November delivery for the FE's. It's hard to find a bike to do multi-roles very well. I sold a heavily modded DR650 and a great Husaberg 450 woods bike to get this one bike. We'll see how it goes. I have already ordered a 2nd set of Warp 9 wheels that will have a cush-drive, taller gearing and 50/50 tires for those dual-sport rides.
  20. Wadzy Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2017 FE501

I'm hearing the same, even some dealers are saying January. I personally think its closer to the latter and they are just trying to stall us.

You made some serious sacrifices. I can relate. I had to sacrifice an Italian full race Go Kart that was in absolutely mint shape and modz to the tits. But in the end, anything worth doing is never easy!
    nsrrider likes this.