1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2014 te310r kick start fine, intermittent electric start issue

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Bryan760, Oct 5, 2021.

1. Bryan760 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 KTM 350sxf
    Ok, probably posted a million times, but trying to find someone who can solve this issue: whenever I have intermittent e start issue, it kick-starts easily. That is, plenty of crank, but no fire (or fuel?), so I resort to one or two kicks and it fires right up. Ecu issue? Starter relay? Thanks for your help!!!
  2. Soderberg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gasgas ec250 -18, Yamaha WR250F
    Does it turn with e-starter or is it completely dead? E-start issues depends on wrong shim on the recomp valve. Not always but most of the time. If it starts cold but not warm the shim is to thick. This is ofcourse if all electrics work and it turns.
  3. Bryan760 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 KTM 350sxf
    Thanks, Soderberg. Maybe it is the wrong shim?! Yes, only when warm. The weird thing, as stated previously, seems like plenty of battery juice and cranking when intermittent no-start happens. HOWEVER, when that issue happens, all it takes is one or two kicks and it fires right up. Would that still indicate the wrong shim? Thanks!
  4. Soderberg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gasgas ec250 -18, Yamaha WR250F
    Yes, if the shim is too thick the valve doesnt close properly as the engine gets bigger, as everything does when you add heat. At least this is the first thing you need to check. Ive had three 310s and two of them had wrong shim from the factory.
  5. Bryan760 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 KTM 350sxf
    Great! I really appreciate the insight, Soderberg!
  6. Bryan760 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 KTM 350sxf
    One last confirmation, to large of shim would still allow ease of kick-start, even when warm? Thanks!
    Soderberg likes this.
  7. Bryan760 Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TE310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2017 KTM 350sxf
    Just following up on this exchange. I greatly appreciated the input. I found a solution by just installing a new battery. There must have been something about the battery able to turn the engine over but not provide spark and/or fuel once warm. New battery resulted in no-effort starting all day, even after some small crashes in the soft turns.
    GrooveThang likes this.
  8. dougn Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    beta 500 rs mv agusta turismo veloc
  9. peppers Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    2004 CRF 250
    I picked up a 2014 TE310R and I am having similar starter problems, batt is good but it wont turn over consistently when it gets hot, shop said new starter but i am wondering if it has the shim problem, if so this year bike seems almost impossible to get any parts for so where do I go for the shimms? Thanks..