2014 FE 511 Project Pics

Discussion in 'General (Main)' started by WLDracing_3G, Mar 10, 2014.

1. WLDracing_3G Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TE 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Raptor 700 SE, 2011 YZ450F
    I recently started the modification process of my 2014 TE 511. My setup will be for riding trails, single track, hills, Mammoth Mt, and a bunch of Socal GP's and some DS. I will include pics as this project progresses.

I recently sent my ECU to ZipTy to be flashed with the map 3 programming.
    I also wanted to take advantage of the power up plug. During dual sport rides or rides where there is street, or highway travel, I would want to switch to a more economical map. And vice versa.

Solution
    Find the smallest plug near the ECU connector, this is the power up plug . I purchased an on/off switch from (Cycle Gear 19.99) mounted it on my Cyrca hand guards, ran two wires back to the power up plug, cut the 2 wires to the plug, soldered the wires that I ran back from the switch and heat shrunk the connections. Works Great.

P1360822.JPG
    Tinken likes this.
  2. WLDracing_3G Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TE 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    P1360811.JPG P1360835.JPG
    As you may know the 2014 TE 511 does not come with an ignition/key.

Sicass racing has an ignition (39.99) with a factory plug to connect directly to the factory plug behind the headlight. With the ignition you get two keys and a bracket to mount. Integrates well and I can still us my Bar Pad (You will have to fabricate the front right of the pad to accommodate but is still usable)

P1360811.JPG
  3. WLDracing_3G Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TE 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    License Plate and Surface Mounted LED turn signals

Again Sicass makes small LED turn signals that fit perfectly on the fender and again has factory connectors. I also purchased a plastic license plate holder that fits perfectly after you remove the stock signal license plate holder. You will have to drill 3 holes, mounting nuts and bolts are included. Mounting the lights are easy, running the wires is a bit of a task ...But you can do it!!!
    Oh and I am not a rep of Sicass, they just have some very go products that fit on the TE 511.
    Lights: Smoke Lens LED Flat Mount - Husqvarna TE 449/511 $44.98
    License Plate: Universal/KTM License Plate Holder $12.95
    P1360833.JPG P1360832.JPG
    P1360834.JPG
    jerbear610, jimmyc and ray_ray like this.
  4. Teambowles Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    19 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    19 ktm 6 days excf 450 n excf 500
    Very nice, congrats, looks great
  5. WLDracing_3G Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TE 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks very much !!
  6. WLDracing_3G Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TE 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Trail Tech Voyager
    Mount Protector

As you can see from the pics above my choice for a compact gauge cluster/GPS was the Voyager. I did remove the original dash mount and Husky display. I rerouted the plug so that I could reattach the display if need be. The Trail Tech allows you to transfer your existing mileage to the Voyager.

Installation:

Speed Sensor
    The existing speed sensor plug is the exact same as the Voyager. No need to route the included cable.

Engine Temp Sensor
    I installed the water sensor directly below the "T" in the middle of the radiators. I used a pvc pipe cutter. This gives you a clean cut directly through the hose.
    P1360813.JPG

Ignition Sensor
    I did not install. Do not need RPM's displayed.

DC Power
    I ran wire directly to the battery.

P1360804.JPG

P1360821.JPG
  7. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    replace gas cap with aluminum one before it becomes a pain to remove and install. :thumbsup:
    WLDracing_3G likes this.
  8. WLDracing_3G Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TE 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks, That is one of the items from ZipTy that is on my list....Looking out for UPS now:eek:
  9. WLDracing_3G Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TE 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    One of the first things I did after my first ride was to get the seat updated. I read that Seat Concepts was the way to go. Really nice that they are local. I called them up placed my order, drove to their shop. They changed out my old seat cover and foam in 30 minutes. Fantastic upgrade. Cost was about $190.00 for seat fabric (non skid), foam and installation.

P1360843.JPG P1360838.JPG
  10. WLDracing_3G Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TE 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Next thing was to get a better platform under my size 12's so I did some checking and decided to go with the FastWay EVO 111 adjustable, two height foot pegs. These are great. I set mine up for a low and back setting. Thought I was going to have to get a longer shifter but this low and back setting gives me that room that I need.

P1360839.JPG P1360840.JPG P1360843.JPG
  11. WLDracing_3G Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TE 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    My previously posted pics show that I installed Cyrca hand guards. These are CRM (center reach mount). Previously I purchased some Zeta Pro Bend (non center reach) and they did not fit or should I say because of where the hydraulic clutch and sensor and hydraulic break assemblies are mounted on the bars gives no room to install. Soooooo CRM is the way to go.
  12. WLDracing_3G Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TE 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    NO CLUTCH START

Solution

Clutch Interlock Bypass
    Sicass has a plug that deactivates the need to pull in the clutch before starting. No wiring or cutting just unplug the sensor (behind the headlight), attach the Clutch Interlock Bypass and you are good to go. Sicass price $5.00
  13. WLDracing_3G Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TE 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just got my ECU Map 3 back from ZipTy and Immediately went out to check out the difference. Well it is like night and day, and I did not put my FMF Powercore on yet. DMV drivers test tomorrow. I will be hitting the dirt sometime this weekend. I will have to get my suspension revalved for sure.

Will the OEM display read 111 or map 3, I did see 2 displayed at some point?
    ray_ray and Tinken like this.
  14. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    WLDracing_3G likes this.
  15. WLDracing_3G Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TE 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    You guys a ZipTy are great....Thanks Tinken and thanks Danny for all of your assistance....
    Tinken, robertaccio and Motosportz like this.
  16. Motosportz CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2021 TE250i, 570 Berg, 500 KTM, 790R
    Other Motorcycles:
    many
    highly recommended. They did my 511 and it is exactly what I asked for. It was good stock for comfort but a handful when things got fast. I've been out to the Dez the last few rides to avoid thew rain and charging huge whoops for miles and this thing just eats them up now where before it was loose and dangerous. Very nice work.

BTW I am finding fork height in the triples really changes how this bike works. It is critical to get them right for where you are riding.
    WLDracing_3G and Tinken like this.
  17. WLDracing_3G Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TE 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Just went out on a Ride with my Over the Hill Gang buddies for my first Dual Sport ride. We all met up about 15 miles out from all of our homes in Menifee, CA.
    I could really tell with the 15/51 gearing that the max you would want to cruise would be 55 mph to 60 mph.

We got to some fire trails then hit about 20 miles of single track with very rocky steep climbs. My Gosh with the addition of the FMF Powercore this made for an awesome fun day. This bike really tracked well and with its awesome reliable power gets you out of some ??? situations. The single track that we hit went in and out of 4 ft sage that appeared more to be MTB single track very tight and one rut. The TE 511 just chewed it up, what I was so surprised about was the bike could pull at very low rpms and get you out of crap that my YZ would need high revs and a lot of clutch. You just have to trust the bike/engine and you can climb and maneuver around any rutted, rock infested trail. This BMW engine is not a high reving motocross engine (which is what I am used to), but it is a hill climbing, single track monster. I don't know if it is the CTS design or just how the power is delivered to the rear wheel but I know one thing no loss of power due to wheel spin, the power delivery is smooth and reliable which relates to usable power to the ground.

I had the problem of the Dealer filling the oil way over the fill limit and with that ....well you know oil everywhere. I removed oil to where you could just see the level at the bottom portion of the window. I had no problems with oil coming out through the air filter.. Waiting on Zipty to get some more Oil Circulation Systems in. I checked my reading for water temp and the hottest it got was 201 and that was at the point of some very technical single track rock inclines. However I am concerned about the amount of Oil that is actually lubing my engine components. ZIPTY Get ER' Done! :)

The Voyager held up fine with great display while in the mix, the Fastway footpegs are fantastic, great platform to stand while maneuvering the single track and ample clearance from sharp edged rocks.

The only issue I had and it really bothered me was the gear shifter. For me I need a wider tip, I could see that my boot had shift marks on the side of my boot not on top the boot. My next needed purchase is to find a longer or wider shifter tip.

The stock tires where great in a mixture of street, sandy dirt, hard pack, and rock. Well they should be, have you seen the price of these babies.:thumbsdown:

Hand guards a must didn't feel one branch slapping me as I went by, remove the stock hand guards and invest in some CRM's.

All I can say is do the upgrades, that I have done and most TE 511 owners have done and you will absolutely love your bike. Honestly when I first rode it, even after I added the jumper for the powerup plug, and even when I did the ECU map 3 (Still had the Monsterous catalytic converter installed), I was getting that feeling ...Damn this bike is to tame for me.."Did I make a big Mistake?":banghead:, But just hold on a minute, after I added the FMF PC4....A completely new bike...and a big smile :banana:

Thanks to Jim, Dan, and Leo what an awesome day of riding and Congrats Anthony on getting your new TE 511.:cheers:
    Te_Dug, Motosportz and Tinken like this.
  18. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    We should be close to having a fresh order of tanks in.
    WLDracing_3G likes this.
  19. WLDracing_3G Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TE 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Thanks Tinken, it is really great to have a forum with experts that can assist with dialing in these Huskies. Again I appreciate your shops willingness to help
    and your availability. I would also like to thank the forum Members, CH's sponsors, Motosportz, Sicass Racing, 7602, Seat Concepts for their assistance and cool products that have made my project a success.
    Motosportz and Tinken like this.
  20. WLDracing_3G Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 Husqvarna TE 511
    Other Motorcycles:
    I forgot one really important update. The seat. Well as you know Seat Concepts upgraded my seat foam and seat cover. I stand a lot but when I did sit... through the course of the day my butt had no complaints and I think the reason I forgot about putting this in was, Heck it never came up. Which relates to comfort. However I did notice the none skid surface keeps your butt where you put it ...Very nice I give the Seat a 10....Stock a 2 just cause a 2 x 6 would have got a 1.
    TomGlander likes this.