1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2013 Txc 310r Starter Recall Notice

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by machine builder, Dec 22, 2020.

1. machine builder Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    1982 Kaw. KZ 750 E3
    Hi, Im a new guy here and Ive read everything I can find here about my 013 txc 310 R starter problems. So LOTS of info Thanks guys
    I see on the thread about the starter recall bulletin ABS 013-020 and I have asked my dealer to find it, but they have no luck. ?
    So my question: can anyone send me that bulletin so I can show it to my dealer and see if I can collect on the replacement parts.
    Last year, I found "garage" find. A 2013 TXC 310R mint condition with about 15 hrs on it. Bought it very cheap, Only problem is the e starter free wheel and sprag clutch problem. Its a beast to kick start, so I really want to get this fixed.
    THANKS very much for any help,
    UPDATE: local dealer, just said they found the recall, now I wait to see what they will do.
    Will keep posted,
    Thanks again.
    ANOTHER UPDATE 12-23-2020 I just talked to my Husky dealer and they said that this issue is a service bulletin, not a recall and Husky will NOT replace my bad starter parts.
    SO I am now left to buy them out of my own pocket.
    Can anyone suggest the best place to order these parts from ????
    Thanks again...
  2. Soderberg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gasgas ec250 -18, Yamaha WR250F
    Have you checked the decomp? It should not be a pita to kickstart. Remember that the CR came with kickstart only and that teens and girls start them without problems. When I bought my -14 310 the starter motor couldnt turn the engine. Took the entire engine apart and back together. Couldnt find anything wrong with it. Assembled it again but gave the decomp extra much love. I cant really tell what the problem was, but since then it turns and runs like new. I disassembled the starter motor, freewheel and everything in between. New grease and was very careful during the assembly. Everything should turn easy by hand. If not, you might need to make some thin shims.
  3. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    Pretty sure the decomp adjustment fixed 2012 310’s. My dealer Uptite seemed to have it figured out and I never had any hard start issues or failed starter motor.
  4. machine builder Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    1982 Kaw. KZ 750 E3
    G morning and thanks for the response. I have considered the CR valve adjustment, even though it only has 30 hrs on it and it was still very hard to kick at 15 hrs. I read the manuals etc.. however, I can not find 1 pic of the shim or any info on it, except to "re shim" it, but no detailed info on "how". None of the manuals even show the shims??
    So before I attempt to do that, I need to know exactly what Im doing. Got any pics of this process?? I would really like to check this.
    My starter free wheel is "chewed" and needs replaced with new hardened one. Husky will not help me on this, so I have to buy it myself and now need to find where. I refuse to pay the dealer $600 for it.
    As for my dealer, they are a great bunch of guys, but they know nothing about my bike. You guys here, have been a HUGE help, as Ive read as much as possible and learned many things.
    As for running, this thing screams !!!
    Thanks again for any help and pics and info.
  5. machine builder Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    1982 Kaw. KZ 750 E3
    Yes, I now feel, I have this problem as well, and now looking on checking it. I still need a new started free wheel, as mine is chewed.
    As for my dealer, they have never seen one of these bikes and I know more about it than them, from info from this forum. You guys ROCK !!!
  6. Soderberg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gasgas ec250 -18, Yamaha WR250F
    The shims regarding the startermotor are not there original and shouldnt be eighter. Though...... if something doesnt turn freely, you can make them yourself with thin 0,05-0,2mm sheet brass or similar. If something is stuck, something is wrong. Even though I love theses bikes I have to be honest about how they were put together. I have had three of them from new and all of them have been in need of som love from new. Worst thing for me was the second (-14 TE310). The needle bearing in the freewheel was missing from factory . Ran with that for a long time, just held together by the outer bearing. This is the bike I told about above. Forgot to mention this and that was probably why it didnt turn around as it should after 180 hours. The first bike (-11 TE310) had a bad wiring harness and stopped loading after 9 hours. Husky gave me a new one but I did the job wich took a day. Last one (-14 TXC310) didnt start when warm. Had zero play on the decomp valve when cold, ment leaking all the time when warm. Even all of this things, I love these bikes. Have tried everything during the years but cant find anything that fits me better.
  7. machine builder Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    1982 Kaw. KZ 750 E3
    Hi again, I dont have any shims in my starter motor, but I am concerned about the shims in the exhaust valve for the CR.
    I see all kinds of pics showing how to check the clearance, simple feeler gauge, but can not find 1 pic of the shim or how it is held onto the rocker arm/valve bucket.
    As for the bike itself, I love it !!! Its smoking hot fast and I have never been able to hit a rev limiter or any sign that it has reached its end of power and I run the gears long and hard. Ive also had the suspension reworked, springs and valves and lowered 2 inchs. This now rides much better in the Fl, sand and whoops.
    I can see why Husky had assembly problems, as the Italians like to drink while they work. I was born in Italy and also been there for work. LOL
    Soderberg likes this.
  8. MasterChief Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310 2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha SRX600 & XT225
    rocker arm.jpg
    Rocker arm

Shim in.jpg
    Shim in

no shim.jpg
    No shim

Hope this helps.
  9. machine builder Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    1982 Kaw. KZ 750 E3
  10. MasterChief Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310 2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha SRX600 & XT225

The shim fits in the recess in the top of the valve spring retainer. The rocker and cam hold it in place.

Do you have the repair manual? I think it's available in pdf form on line. It shows the procedure and torque specs for cam removal etc.

Using a magnet to remove the shim helps.
  11. machine builder Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    1982 Kaw. KZ 750 E3
    Ahh ok, . Yes I have several service/repair/rebuild manuals. None of which, actually show the shims, like your pics. They all explain the procedure, but none show it, only how to measure clearance, remove cams, etc... So this is a big help, as now I know what I'm looking at.
    Now my other problem, maybe you can help this too. I'm looking for the recall notice for the starter freewheel issue. I have the service bulletin ABS 013-020, but my dealer can not find the recall, to replace the parts, so now I'm stuck buying them.
    So I need either: the recall # or a good place to buy them, dealer wants $600. and I refuse to pay that.
    Thank you again for all your help.
  12. MasterChief Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310 2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha SRX600 & XT225

Sorry I can't help with the recall number. Mine was done by the dealer with a two weeks of me buying it new in 2013.
  13. machine builder Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    1982 Kaw. KZ 750 E3
    ok, well you have already been a huge help. I just bought this a year ago, with about 15 hrs on it and the previous owner never did anything about it, so now I'm stuck with it.
    Thanks again.
  14. MasterChief Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310 2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha SRX600 & XT225
    Found this in my Husky folder in the garage.

starter recall.jpg
  15. machine builder Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    1982 Kaw. KZ 750 E3
    OHHHH Very Cool It has the recall operation # KO42.
    Ohhh Thank you very much , Ill try this number at my dealer tomorrow.
  16. MasterChief Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE310 2008 TE610
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha SRX600 & XT225

Did you have any luck with the dealer?
  17. machine builder Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    1982 Kaw. KZ 750 E3
    my dealer is great and went thru alot with KTM to get this resolved, however, KTM doesnt want to do anything about it now. So bottom line is: I just buy it myself, where ever has the best deal. any suggestions where?
    thanks
  18. hhdwtmtw He who dies with the most toys wins...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE300, '11 TE449, '10 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
    Assuming you only need the worm gear, ring gear and one-way (sprag) clutch, the cheapest place I can find is http://www.greenlandmx.com. They are based in Spain. I've bought from them a number of times and the service and pricing is great. I've attached a screenshot from www.italhusky.com that gives you the parts diagram and part numbers. If the price on a item is $0 then it is no longer available.

Part numbers:
    8539628 Ring Gear $127 Euro (USD$153)
    8539629 Starter crankshaft $62 Euro (USD$75)
    800087289 Freewheel clutch $76 Euro (USD$92)

So about $320 USD plus ~$40 for UPS express freight and you should have your parts in a week or so.

Screen Shot 2021-02-19 at 10.13.37 am.png
    Johnrg likes this.
  19. machine builder Husqvarna
    B Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TXC 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    1982 Kaw. KZ 750 E3
    oh very cool, I need # 32 shows $277. thank you very much.
  20. hhdwtmtw He who dies with the most toys wins...

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE300, '11 TE449, '10 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    Royal Enfield Continental GT 650
    Item #32 is superseded by 8539628 and 8539629.

I believe they improved the quality of the parts in the recall.