1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2013 te310r gas smell

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by xliteredhead, May 5, 2020.

1. xliteredhead Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 te310 red head
    Hey. My bike always smells like gasoline. I notice it in the garage and during slow technical riding. I thought for a while it came from the gas cap vent hose, which just goes to air. But i have pinpointed it to the quick connect between the tank and throttle body, by the angle fitting under the tank. When i take this of, gasoline will drip from the tank. Is this normal, or should it not do that? There is never gas on the floor or anything. I also blocked of the breather hose from the crank case to the air box, and it was not coming from there, even though on oil changes, the oil smells quite a lot of gas.

I would like to get to the bottom of this. Anyone familiar to this problem? Thanks!
  2. Soderberg Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 TE 310r
    Other Motorcycles:
    Gasgas ec250 -18, Yamaha WR250F
    On one of my three 310s the gas tank was leaking at the upper corner, above the philips screw that holds the upper plastic shroud. It was a bad mold. I fixed it with a soldering iron. The plastic was very thin though and it started leaking a year later. The new owner has fixed it two years ago and it still holds :thumbsup:. It took a while to find it. The bike always smelled when I hade it filled more than 3/4. After 15-20 hours it started leaking more and more. Even then it was just droppes/24 hours but it could be seen by the eye.
  3. xliteredhead Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 te310 red head
    Thanks for the reply!
    My main question though, is really wether or not the tank should leak from the pump fitting (angle) when the short quick connect hose to the throttle body is removed.
  4. joedirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    Its shouldn't but one of my bikes does the same thing. Not sure why. Mine does have an aftermarket fuel pump.
  5. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    only when disconnected? weird. it might be the notoriously fragile male plastic tank outlet fitting. be careful.

you can buy those 90° fittings off of ebay for under $6 all day long. well at least last year you could. make sure it has an o-ring on the barbed end. actually get a 16" of FI fuel line (the regular gates stuff that's psi rated) and a straight fitting for the other end too. way easier than dealing with that stock nylon low vapor fuel linestuff.
  6. xliteredhead Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 te310 red head
    Yep, there is no visible leak when connected, but the gas smell is coming from the place where they connect. Im suspecting that either the hose is beeing filled with fuel and pressure from the tank over it is causing a very small seepage that evaporates, or the same thing from between the whole plastic sqare thing holding the fitting, and the tank itself.

Fitting is not broken, but thats happened before so i have an extra one in aluminum from zipty lying around for the next time. Fuel line is also new. Can you give me some more details on the alternative to that fuel line? It really is a stiff bastard.
    Trenchcoat85 likes this.
  7. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    put the ZTR one on- is my recommendation. maybe inspect the leaker for scratches.
    Oh yeah... i remembered the names of those connectors: bundy connectors. i'm a big fan of these styles of connectors. also, do NOT get the Dorman or American style of these (clearance issues); go chinese. i know, i know.

not really (sorry), but here is something i wrote about 4 years ago with a pic or 2.
    http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/mini-and-micro-projects-for-my-310.84259/#post-580688