1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2013 TC250R - Starting Problems

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by FRSTHUSKY, Jul 22, 2013.

1. FRSTHUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC250R
    First time Husky Owner and new to site.

Having issues starting my 2013 TC250R. Bike locks at TDC (Top Dead Centre) is very hard to kick over and kicks back. Any ideas/tips or fixes for this? And generally doesn't like to start hot or cold.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,
  2. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    Welcome! :cheers:
  3. oregonsage 4st Clerk

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    FX450
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha DT400 x 2, BMW G310R
    Welcome, You will find some threads here about the Xlite starter, and TXC310R starter issues. I suspect your TC250R falls in the same category...and most likely it is the exhaust valve. Since the two fixes are a new electric starter gearset and/or setting your valve clearance.....and you dont have an electric starter so... I vote for valve clearance
  4. FRSTHUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC250R
    Thank you for the welcome! I will check into the valve clearance.

In the mean time, here is a response I received from a so-called resident expert whom I informed of all the issues I stated above:

"There is no cam update for the 2013 TC250R. The only starting issue with TC250R happens when the idle adjust is wrong. The best way is to turn the idle adjuster knob clock wise until it stops, then turn the knob counter clock wise 36 click out.
    Let me know if this works"

Does this make any sense!? How could changing the idle adjuster stop the bike from locking at TDC!?

Thanks,
  5. Coffee CH Owner

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2006 TE250, 2013 TR650 Terra - sold
    No, makes no sense to me. Though in your first post you say the bike is "locking" at TDC and the post I quoted says "keep the bike from locking", so I'm not sure what your bike is doing.

Regardless, I am not qualified to give input on that particular engine, because I really have no experience with it.
  6. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    I have a similar issue on the 310 where the starter has failed to turn over the engine and upon trying to kick feels locked up. The decompressor isn't functioning is what it is looking like. Might be time for Husqvarna to issue a Tech Bulletin and Recall on this issue. It is so related to the starting issue and IMO should be checked along with any bike under the Starter Recall since my issues persist after the recall.
  7. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Welcome to the site and Husqvarna dirt bike riding ...

Next, strap your helmet on tightly here for this issue ... Not alot has been written (to my knowledge) on this TDC locking issue as compared to all the other starting issues with these bikes ... The silver lining is that you are 100% in the right place on these bikes as the riders here have been there and done that in almost all cases ...

--
    The bike not starting in general may be a totally different issue than the TDC issue ..
    --
    I have the 2010 TC250s ..X-lite engine is the ~same in most ways but my bike has a CARB .. really nothing to do with the kicker feeling locked at TDC, but my bikes will do the same locking ...Seems like over time as the hrs increased, they lock less and less over time ..BUT a friend did break a kicker off my bike once when kicking it (the kicker was defective on these models) ... So I never force a kick when it seems locked .. I have to just tap it over slightly before kicking ... No help to you and your bike really ... just a little feedback ...
  8. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

My 2010 tc 2010 was the worse starting bike I have ever owned
  9. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Thats another topic and thread ... PM me if you still need help or please start another thread.
  10. Pedec Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Sorry, sold bike.
  11. FRSTHUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC250R
    Thanks everyone for your feedback...I have yet to get into the nuts and bolts of the problem and will let you know once I have.

Lot of great info here and some good starting points.
  12. joedirt Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    wr250
    Did ya figure it out?
  13. FRSTHUSKY Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TC250R
    @joedirt No I haven't had a chance to work on it sadly! Not so sadly, I've been on a motorcycle tour of the Yukon! Epic trip!

Hoping to get at it this weekend.