1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2012 TE310 drain plug/oil return line

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Phil Lamb, Oct 20, 2013.

1. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    The frame is the oil breather tank. Husky went to great lengths to solve the oil blow by issue on these engines. Could of done a little better job getting the oil back into the engine imo.

[IMG]
  2. reveille Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2014 FE501
    Other Motorcycles:
    2015 300 XC W
    Wow! I was clueless thinking it just passed through. Am I supposed to be draining the frame somehow? I don't recall seeing anything in the shop manual addressing this.
  3. Mudvayne Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    TE 310, KTM 300 XCW
    Other Motorcycles:
    Harley, CR500AF, XR650L, Z50, RC-51
    I bet your right reveille when mines apart will take pics. oops guess I should have scrolled all the way down. lol On second thought I bet thats just a big Y inside the frame!
  4. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Hose #2 drains into the engine case.
  5. Phil Lamb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    T- I suspected you would come up with the schematic. Good job. Is there any way to tell if the cylindrical screen inside the drain plug is still functional? Oh, and using an AN angled swivel is a great idea. At $50.00 it is an elegant and hopefully profitable product. But I want someone to disabuse me of the notion that I am feeding spooge back in.
    PAL
    R- The diagram does not clearly reflect that the drainback is the 3rd, lowest, return line that this whole kerfluffle is about.
    PAL
  6. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    In another thread, I recommended fully soak/cleaning the in-frame breather tank out with carburetor spray cleaner and replacing the old drain back hose with the new one that comes in the kit. We run the thinner synthetic oil (0W40/5W40) in these engines which flows better in the engine and the recirculation systems.
  7. Phil Lamb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    I agree, and will do that in due course. But I will keep the plugged clear hose to see what I can see.
    I appreciate your input. This forum is the most civilized, and thoughtful, which I have encountered.
    So, you did a blurb on who is Ty Davis. Who the dickens is Tinken?? Merry Christmas.
    PAL
    Tinken likes this.
  8. Phil Lamb Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE310
    Until I reread this, I did not appreciate use of the word "dickens" in the context of Christmas. Research to follow, or not.
  9. street2dirt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TXC310, WR300, 85 125WR, 82 175XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G650X
    Well, it seems you found another way to get more of my money, .............again. hahahaha. I'll be taking one of those for sure. Got a 3 week break so need to do this mod plus a few other things.
  10. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    I've got a new header, exhaust, injector and ECU comin for my 310… this mod will make oil changes much less annoying in the future!
  11. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Blame Mike-AK for pushing me to do this mod. Someday I will make his shark fin. Haha :D
    Johnrg, street2dirt and Mike-AK like this.
  12. street2dirt Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    12 TXC310, WR300, 85 125WR, 82 175XC
    Other Motorcycles:
    BMW G650X
    So I can blame him AND thank him, this will make oil changes much more bearable. Happy Happy Happy
    Tinken likes this.
  13. Micfasto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR400, Vstrom
    I just did a valve check and replaced the oil return hose while I had it apart. There was some milky oil that came out of the hose when I took it all the way off. I have never seen any sign of water in the oil or from the tube prior to removing it all the way. My guess is there may have been a very little bit of water in the frame from the manufacturing process and it sat in the low part of the tube.

I have a TC drain plug but I went with the stock return set up and a new oil return line. Just a heads up it is 3/8" not 5/16th line.
    Tinken likes this.
  14. Micfasto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TXC 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    XR400, Vstrom
    I am glad to see you are releasing this mod now. I was looking for a fill cap that I could drill and tap, now it looks like you have in all in one nice little kit.
  15. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    Yes and my kit hose is the same 3/8" hose as my 449 kits.
  16. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I was just told that the AN fittings were scrapped and that there is a new o-ring swivel fitting which fits closer to the engine and is less susceptible to damage.

This will be a limited quantity run of these kits. Pre-orders are open.
    http://www.ziptyracing.com/husqvarna-310-drain-back-kit/
  17. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310

Just placed my order. I asked in the comments to ship via USPS flat rate box if possible. UPS Ground is too expensive to Alaska. Thanks.
  18. Tinken Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    MY12 WR511
    Other Motorcycles:
    Yamaha
    I thought I'd send it by boat...
    Mike-AK likes this.
  19. Mike-AK Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE 310

Do I get to keep the boat?
  20. Johnrg Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2013 TE 310 R
    Other Motorcycles:
    Ducati Sport Classic / Ducati Multi.
    The copy states this is for the 11-12 though the 13-14 have the identicaL "DANGEROUS DRAIN HOSE". We simply have the added bonus of a real drain plug in the sump. Re-routing and being rid of that hose could be useful to the latter models, don't you think? While we don't mess with the hose necesssarily at every oil change (13-14), the danger aspect then includes all models with that hose configuration. This could be double the revenue on this new product :applause: