1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2012 TE250 lost compression

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by Bryan Piazza, Nov 17, 2016.

1. Bryan Piazza Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE250
    Well I never thought I'd have to post something like this, but as the title says my bike lost compression and to be honest i have no idea what happened. I just did the 10km service (filter/oil and I recently flushed the antifreeze with engine ice.) ride my bike to the store quick to get something then ride back, it ran fine and didn't smoke at all. I go to take it out later in the day and it starts to smoke a little bit, a little white smoke but mostly blue smoke. now im thinking WTF this is a bike with less than 5k on it why is it smoking? I kill the bike, start it again and let it warm up until it stops smoking. I ride it up the street and it seemed fine and had full power in every gear. So now im about 2 miles from my house and i can hear the bike losing compression and im losing power as well. i pull over and kill the bike and behind me was a HUGE cloud of blue smoke. I check the oil and it looked nasty and almost like a choco milkshake, so now i immediately think headgasket but there was nothing leaking from the side of my motor.

A friend of mine told me that it could possibly be the waterpump? He was saying that the waterpump is an issue on this bike apparently and he told me something about how the bike can lose compression if the pump fails (idk how true that is) does anyone have any ideas? I really don't want to tear apart my motor to find out that its not the headgasket! Thanks!
  2. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    '85 shovel, '75 DT400, '97 XR400
    waterpump: maybe; slightly unlikely. any cooling system problem (and I'm thinking head gasket would be more likely) probably wouldn't cause the fast loss of power- but it is possible.

I'd guess rings or piston, but that's just a guess. you're probably gonna hafta rebuild your upper end (if so, do the components that did not fail too. eg: it was the valves? do the piston & rings too). it's a job but not impossible for you.

Start your diagnostics with an oil check: volume, color (green, white or frothy would be a water indicator) and smell (it'll smell burnt if you cooked your motor big; or if you had an oil pump or pressure problem. which reminds me: did you happen to put your oil filter in backwards?). do a compression check; pull the valve cover (fairly easy) and take a look at the cams and valves and auto-decompress. take before/after pictures along the way... it's a great way to go back to see if you missed something.

good luck.
  3. glangston Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 Husqvarna TE 310
    Other Motorcycles:
    2012 BETA 350 RS
    I don't think a failed head gasket polluting the oil has to show on the outside.
  4. espacef1fan Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    none
    Other Motorcycles:
    06 Bonneville with dirt tires
    Headgaskets are classic for milkshake oil, smoke, and sudden large power losses.
  5. R_Little Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Hopefully it is just a headgasket and you did not drive it long enough to cause damage.
    I have never heard of a headgasket failing on an x-lite.

it is entirely possible that the head bolts were not properly torqued at the factory. check the break torque when you take out the bolts.

FYI, I reused a head gasket on my bike when it had 28 miles on it. I sprayed it with coppercoat and it has held fine 5 years since.
  6. Bryan Piazza Husqvarna

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE250
    As soon as I noticed it was losing compression i shut it down. But wouldn't a bad headgasket leak out the side of the motor? wouldn't it be noticeable?
  7. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
    not necessarily- if fact, not usually. it's usually the water jacket/combustion chamber where the leaks occur... not externally. And check your oil too.
    MotoXImage likes this.
  8. Trenchcoat85 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '14 TE 310R
    Other Motorcycles:
  9. Alberto Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE250
    I experienced something similar on my TE250 2011. It was the propeller gasket of the water pump. So, water came into combustion chamber, white smoke, oil seemed like milk chocolate and no power. I didnt lose the compression. Fix was to fix the water pump, flush engine oil about 5 times to completely remove the water from the chambers, and thats it. Hope your issue is not a major problem.
    Dangermouse449 likes this.
  10. Dangermouse449 Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE449
    Other Motorcycles:
    2009 CRF450R 2000 YZ125
    Can confirm, water pump seal can dump coolant into the oil.
    Hoping you haven't run it too long as water affected oil doesn't lubricate well.

As mentioned above, rekit the pump and change the oil, warm up and change several more times.
    See how it goes....