1. 4 Stroke Husqvarna Motorcycles Made In Italy - About 1989 to 2014
    TE = 4st Enduro & TC = 4st Cross

2012 TE 250 / 310 fuel injection issues

Discussion in '4 Stroke' started by swamp, Dec 13, 2011.

1. swamp Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    yea
    i am very displeased with my 2012 TE 250.
    the fuel injection system basically sucks for woods riding.

the bike is always stalling when blipping the throttle or when doing clutch/throttle "snap" type maneuvers.

very disappointing and im not the only one that is experiencing these same issues.

i have a 2005 yamaha TTR-250 that works better in the woods than my 2012 TE250 .
    something is bad wrong with these bikes and it needs to be addressed.

i purchased the bike from BMW of Atlanta : http://www.bmwmcoa.com/

since then
    ive heard:

1. the throttle position sensor needs to be reset.
    2. you need to buy the ECU from the 2012 TXC 250
    3. you need to buy the 12 port fuel injector from the 2012 TXC 250
    4. and today i called and was told that this would fix the problem... http://www.g2ergo.com/

so really. what in the hell is wrong with these 2012 TE models and how much am i going to have to spend on this bike to make its fuel injection half as responsive as my 2005 TTR 250 ?
  2. Phoenix Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2009 TXC 450
    Other Motorcycles:
    2 Ducs, 14 GG 200, 13 Husa 300
    I'm sorry you're displeased with your new bike, but I think once you work out the gremlins you will really love it. I tend to agree with your opinions, since I had the same problems on my 2010 and they are still going on in 2012. My opinion is that 1) Husky really craps up their fuel injection by making the TE/TXC emissions compliant. However, my husband's 09 carbed TXC 450 needed a fair amount of carb tinkering before it quit shooting flames out of the muffler. and 2) Husky suffers from an EXTREME lack of communication. I think the new NA crew is trying to make this better, but it might be a long road.

As for your bike...

I guess we should assume you've put it in power up mode. Have any CO settings been modified?

#1 is probably correct. You'll need iBeat or a dealer with iBeat.
    #2 I'd get a few opinions on this one, but I can't see how introducing the wrong ECU could help the situation. Also, see #3.
    #3 The 2012 should already have the 12 port injector from what I understand. The upgrade for the 2010-2011 comes with a special ECU, which is why I would think that #2 would only create more problems.
    #4 I doubt that will fix the problem, but it might help you tune the throttle response to your riding style.

Probably the thing that would help the most would be the JD Jetting tuner. I had severe stalling issues when I first got my TXC 250. As in, I would be riding along and the bike would just cut off. The Jd tuner smothered those problems and made the bike really snappy and responsive (along with setting the TPS) and Motosportz.com has these on sale for the holidays.

I don't think your TE will ever feel like your TTR just because of the power delivery, but that doesn't mean you can't like it. The Husky 250s are screamers mid and high, but really don't have much grunt down low.
  3. Aaron8 Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have the JD tuner, power-up, smog-ectomy, 14/50 and T-Stop removed. The tuner helped everywhere but >right< off idle. It's still a mess down there. If I slowly move through 0 to 1/16 throttle, it stutters, stumbles, and the revs wander wildly. Simply moving away from a stop is an exercise in frustration. For the record, nothing has been set with iBeat.

From what I've read, even the 12 port, ECU and pipe isn't a sure-fire fix. It's frustrating, specially since I've watched on-board footage of Husky-provided TE250s and 310's respond, down low, smooth as silk.
  4. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

your bike is fully powered up while you are riding it offroad,correct?you have changed the gearing,correct?tell us about your setup so we can be better able to help.dan
  5. jimbee Husqvarna
    B Class

Thanks for posting this again - I literally just got off the phone with James at JD and was about to start a similar thread.

James was very helpful and explained that there is a real glitch in the TE250/310 factory map. You can look at the dyno charts on his website (see this one - http://www.pbase.com/jdjetting1/image/139216947), but basically at around 3,000 prm the fuel map has a very rich spot that sends the air/fuel mix well below 10. This rich spot comes very early on during a dyno run (or even before you push record) so the factory guys probably didn't pay any attention to it, but it comes right in the middle of where we are riding in the woods, which is why it affects us and not the guys riding faster trails. JD says he saw very little difference between the 2010/2011/2012 with and without the new 12 hole injector, and that the new injector and ECU did not solve this problem. This is a real problem and he has tried to tell Husky but they haven't wanted to listen. He encourages everyone to print off the dyno chart and take it in to the dealers and try to get some traction behind them recognizing that this is a REAL PROBLEM.

As I've posted in the JD Jetting Power Surge 6X FI Tuner thread (http://www.cafehusky.com/threads/jd-jetting-power-surge-6x-fi-tuner.16081/), I have:

- 2011 TE250
    - 12 hole injector + ECU
    - Stock Exaust
    - JD Tuner

I spent a day in the tight tight woods this weekend trying to dial in the JD settings, but couldn't get the bike to lug at all. I couldn't get the bike to run smoothly off idle it just jerked me around and tired me out. Most annoyingly, if I was idleing through a tight spot and then had to grab some throttle it would almost always flame out. I switched bikes with my buddy and rode his 2010 KTM 250 and this 2 stroke had no problem at all. In fact riding his two stroke around was the best part of the day!

This is my third 250 four stroke in the last 5 years and I was happily lugging around in the technical woods in 1st and 2nd gear before I bought this bike, so I don't think it's me. Maybe the gearing is a bit tall or maybe I'm used to a heavier flywheel coming of Yamaha WR250F's, but riding this TE250 in the tight stuff just isn't fun right now. I don't want to have to cover the clutch and keep the revs up to make this bike work.

My point here is not just to bitch though, I would like to know if others have overcome these issues succesfully?

If there are people out there that have got to the point where their TE250 lugs like a little tractor through the woods and doesn't flame out when they grab a handfull of throttle, then I will not give up and I will continue to give this bike a chance!!

So my question is: how good can we get the TE250 to run in the tight stuff? I need to know what the objective is in order to know when I'm there and I can stop fiddling. Can the bike be tuned to run well down low or do we have to accept mediocrety and give up!? Just want to know whether I should keep fiddling or if its pointless.

Really looking forward to hearing about how others' TE250 run in the woods!!!
  6. Sparked Husqvarna
    AA Class

I have the same problem. Not much torque below 6k rpm, and lots of stalling when it shouldn't. I'm fixing it with $$$. Big rear sprocket for torque; and a Kawasaki fuel injector (recommended in some other threads here), Power Commander w/Autotune for the stalling. I haven't gotten the PC dialed in all the way, but it feels way better already. The low-end torque still isn't there compared to the top-end (it may never be) but it feels way better off-idle.
  7. swamp Husqvarna
    A Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2012 TE250
    Other Motorcycles:
    yea
    ok , well. i just got off the phone with Hall's in Illinois.

they told me that the 2012 TE 250/ 310 do NOT come with 12 port injection or the ECU to control the 12port injection.

they told me to look at the plug that sits on top of the "the carburetor "

if it is green (like it is on the TXC bikes) then that is 12 port fuel injection

if it is yellow (like it is on my 2012 TE 250) then it is not 12 port fuel injection

they told me that husky has been providing them with a 12 port + ECU upgrade kit for the 2012 TE line which Hall's told me "should fix the problem".

the price ??? $380

so i said F' it and gave them my c.card number.

if this doesnt help then there will be a new TE250 with 97 miles on it for sale in birmingham alabama soon.
  8. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

i have been riding a 2011 txc 250 with better results than you it seems.i cant say they are a chugging,lugging tractor.but usually stalling is due to my own spode riding abilitywe have sold lots of 250/310 bikes and no one is complaining...except for the soft bottom end power of the 250.dan
  9. ray_ray Mini-Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    08\013 WR250, 010 TC250, 012 TC250
    Swamp, thanks for the info from Halls... I'll be helpful to many here probably ..

And you'll get the Husky lined out ...just too bad on the 380 kit ...
  10. MotoXotica Husqvarna
    AA Class

we did do some ibeat re mapping to the 2012 te 250 we got in.it seemed too lean on the bottom when powered up for offroad use.i would not have wanted to ride it the way it was stock.did you try to have the dealer make some adjustments/dan
  11. ioneater Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2010 TXC 250
    Other Motorcycles:
    08 Sprint
    These x-lite 250's are not lugger friendly, unfortunately. Nothing on the bottom end so covering the clutch is a "must do" in the tight shit. Dropping the gearing would help if you're always riding gnarly and rarely open terrain. The motor LOVES to be above 6k. I went from a 510 with rekluse to the x-lite 250 and have had to learn clutch and power management big-time. Much less energy expended to handle this bike vs. 510 generally outside of smoking my clutch muscles. Bottom line----this little short stroked motor needs to have the hell rev'd out of it.....you can feel it wake up and hear it snarl.
    510 SM SC likes this.
  12. tnttimber Husqvarna
    AA Class

Dan, I've been to a lot of bike shops in my day and none of them have the knowledge of the brands they're selling like you do, I doubt they are adjusting these bikes for the customers.

Nate Tucker
  13. jimbee Husqvarna
    B Class

The dealer made some adjustments on my bike, but I didn't get the feeling that they really had a handle over what they were doing. I think I'm going to go back and have them set all the settings to 100 and then just work with the JD tuner.

ioneater - so its not a lugger and the power isn't down low. ok. fine. (1) When you say that you are always covering the clutch, does that mean that your bike won't let you ride slow tight stuff in first gear in the 3,000 rpm range without wanting to flame out? (2) Have you managed to tune out the sudden on/off "light switch" type throttle response off idle that gets so tiring?

thank you all very much for your input
  14. BILLF CH Sponsor

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    92WXC350 /Lamson CR250/701 Vitpilen/
    Other Motorcycles:
    Triumph900 Scrambler 1200 HD Nightst
    We have to set up about every bike on I Beat ,but they change as breaking in and some take 500 miles before can really get them dialed in.The factory 12 port kit has been around awhile but $380 is alot to put into a new bike after dropping The $$$.The Te models are EPA legal wich caused most of the problem to start with.After having alot of bikes from the past that chug like tractors the new motors just dont have giant flywheels ,long stroke feel anymore.But if the system gets dialed in they chug really well for such a short stroke motor.Imconfident you can get this motor happy and of course like every street legal bike JD tuners and power commanders work!!My son gave me a new Hd 1200 Nightster yes it had the EPA stutter down low and of course same deal spend $425 for Screaming Eagle Factory programer to smooth it out?Everyone fights this,sorry your having trouble with our fine product .I have always thought highly of the BMW Atlanta folks,I hope they can work it out for you.billf.
  15. mnb Husqvarna
    Pro Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    2011 TE310 . . . . 2003 TE610e
    It probably won't work that well. It's designed to work with the Meo replica exhaust header and silencer, which I'm assuming you don't have installed.
  16. HuskyGT Husqvarna
    C Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    Husqvarna TE 250 2008
    Other Motorcycles:
    Honda CT 70
    please tell us if the kit fix your problem i want a 2012 te250

thanks
  17. Bobby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TXC310Rx2,
    Other Motorcycles:
    G450X, HP2E, 10 R12ADV, GasGas280
    Really Donovan? Wish we had talked about this in further detail. My girlfriend has a 2011 TE250 with 4 port injector and '11 ECU and manages to ride it all over off road in technical terrain with the 50tooth rear sprocket only and fully powered up, rarely a stall. However without knowing what the TPS value on your bike is right now by reading it and setting it accordingly should it be different from the when it was set-up at initial assembly. My own bike changed TPS base reading two times after initial set-up while others never need attention after they come out of the crate. I can send out my laptop to you on Tuesday to determine TPS and walk you though the CO settings once you have laptop in hand. The other '12 TE250 that was prepped same day as yours had a 50 tooth sprocket installed and is running around on trails with a very novice rider and no issues to date.

Also as mentioned above the TE250 is NOT a TTR with stupid dump the clutch low-end torque, manipulating the clutch will be required at mid to low RPM's as with every liquid cooled 250 I have ever ridden and very NOT like a CRF230 or any TTR. However I'll take a TE250 over TTR/CRF anyday for suspension alone let alone 3x's the potential HP.

As for #4, I never said the G2 Ergo throttle tube would fix your problem,..........I said it was my issue on my bike as the aggressive cable pull cam I initially installed was too aggressive for technical trail riding vs open MX/SX type riding on my TXC 310. Once I installed the intermediate cable pull cam, it was like buttah!

I know it's frustrating, but I assure you getting past the break-in bugs will be more then worth while once there are some miles on it and efi is sorted out.
  18. Bobby Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    '13 TXC310Rx2,
    Other Motorcycles:
    G450X, HP2E, 10 R12ADV, GasGas280
    Ditto and I personally spent approximately 20 minutes playing with the Ibeat settings to get the best feel for the bike in question here along with 3 separate heat cycles and a couple miles ridden around the shop. Guess I should have said several more times that the bike is going to present challenges during the break-in period,.......we never want to hear that part during the "I DO" stage of the bike/owner relationship though, or at least it never seems to register even in the event when a bike decides to be difficult.
  19. JasonfromMN Husqvarna
    AA Class

Husqvarna Motorcycle:
    None right now :(
    Other Motorcycles:
    2013 Yamaha FZ6R
    I agree with the comment the motor will never be lug a lugger. However from my perspective the motor can be made quite well. Maybe its just the way I ride I dont know. Im not sure what you guys mean my covering the cluth unless its to hold your hand over it if you need to do a quick pull. I sometimes have to do that but never in 1st gear. Its always in the super tight sections while im in 2nd. Buying the 12 port injector and the ECU may not solve the problems without having some sort of fuel injection tuner like the JD or PC.

Ive been tuning mine with the JD tuner over a few rides now and have to say im quite pleased with the way it runs from off idle and all the way up, no glitchyness and never stalls. I ONLY ride single track, some flowing and some very tight. Once again not a tractor but power comes on well at above 3000 RPM or so.

Comparing this bike to a TTR is not fair. A TTR is not a high performance motor but build friendly to novice users at the trade off of no power.

Anyway with that said Ill give my settings.
    11' TE 250, TPS 101.5, CO1 102 CO2 103 CO3 103, 12/50 sprocket gearing, Kawasaki 10 port fuel injector, JD tuner(not sure of my settings, orange and red around 2 I think blue/green & green almost all the way lean 1ish) MY JD settings are extremly lean because of the injector. I can find out what they are if anyone is interested. Ive been tuning by the seat of my pants and the SA color. Even when it seemed to run good the SA was overly sooted and almost plugging. Now as of my last ride it looks normal and runs better than ever with the these JD settings. Im also running my stock exhaust.
  20. DavidB Husqvarna
    A Class

Sorry you guys are having problems with your 2012. I love my 2011 310. Not so great with 45 rear sprocket but with 50T it rocks from 1-6. Top end sucks but it is not a 450 and I accept it. Hope you figure it out. Crazy that you spend $8K on something that doesn't run right.